DO DO applicant: I failed a spanish class, a guitar class, and a keyboarding class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackspelt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For my final semester at community college (spring 2017), i decided to take "fun classes."

As the semester progressed, however, i became lazy and ended up failing all 3 of the "fun classes," which included conversational spanish, beginning guitar, and beginner keyboarding -- 6 units in total (very ironic for a tutor to have done this).

Why did I let this happen?

The reason is I enjoyed my job as a tutor so much that I only enrolled in those classes just to keep my job (it was required by the CC that I enroll in 6 units to be a tutor, and I was very passionate to continue to tutor in courses that were notorious for a high drop/withdraw and failure rate).

When my grades were released, I did not care about the F's because, as a re-applicant for AACOMAS, I had already submitted my transcripts from the previous year.

However, I received an e-mail today from AACOMAS requesting for an updated transcript.

Now i am dreadfully concerned about my application which will feature the 3 F's from my spring 2017 semester.

How do you think this will impact my chances of getting in to a DO school?

Of note, currently i am enrolled in a post-bacc program at a DO school, and I am doing very well academically, which should indicate that I can survive the first year of med school.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom/guidance/encouragement

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It goes without saying that this will not be taken lightly. Doesn’t matter that they are “fun classes” either.

What’s your updated GPA taking into account the 3 F’s? Also, what is your science GPA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For my final semester at community college (spring 2017), i decided to take "fun classes."

As the semester progressed, however, i became lazy and ended up failing all 3 of the "fun classes," which included conversational spanish, beginning guitar, and beginner keyboarding -- 6 units in total (very ironic for a tutor to have done this).

Why did I let this happen?

The reason is I enjoyed my job as a tutor so much that I only enrolled in those classes just to keep my job (it was required by the CC that I enroll in 6 units to be a tutor, and I was very passionate to continue to tutor in courses that were notorious for a high drop/withdraw and failure rate).

When my grades were released, I did not care about the F's because, as a re-applicant for AACOMAS, I had already submitted my transcripts from the previous year.

However, I received an e-mail today from AACOMAS requesting for an updated transcript.

Now i am dreadfully concerned about my application which will feature the 3 F's from my spring 2017 semester.

How do you think this will impact my chances of getting in to a DO school?

Of note, currently i am enrolled in a post-bacc program at a DO school, and I am doing very well academically, which should indicate that I can survive the first year of med school.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom/guidance/encouragement
It's not good. I can't sugarcoat this: If I interviewed you and heard that explanation, I'd reject you before you left the interview room.

You'd better ace that post-bac and do some growing up.

OP, I think this is less about handling the curriculum and more about demonstrating you’re mature enough at this stage of your life. Considering this is the most recent update you would have for the program, I don’t know that any excuse will justify the poor performance, unfortunately. How long is the post-bacc program you’re in?

OP, I think this is less about handling the curriculum and more about demonstrating you’re mature enough at this stage of your life. Considering this is the most recent update you would have for the program, I don’t know that any excuse will justify the poor performance, unfortunately. How long is the post-bacc program you’re in?

When my friend applied, they were literally rejected because the school didn’t think they were mature enough for med school.... OP, this looks bad. Your excuse for poor performance was sheer laziness which just reflects poorly on you. I hope you’re acing that post-bacc.

Program is 1 year.
I'm actually doing really well in the post-bacc.
Obviously, I cannot change what I had done (or the lack there of) for the 3 F's last spring.
What would be the best course of action to take (if you were in my shoes)?
How can I demonstrate that I am mature enough for med school?
Thanks again for the feedback.

Program is 1 year.
Obviously, I cannot change what I had done (or the lack there of) for the 3 F's last spring.
Kick butt in the post-bacc, get into some leadership roles, be mature enough to say "I made an immature mistake", be prepared for an extra gap year.

Program is 1 year.

What’s your cumulative GPA and science GPA taking into account the 3 F’s?