Do applicants without degrees have to have amazing stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flipps

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do those applying to Dental School with only the minimum reqs (2ish or 3ish years correct?) have to have amazing stats and ECs to be considered?

I am near certain Dentistry is the profession I want to pursue after spending time in my local Dentists office-I mean honestly to me it seems like the perfect career, so not having a Bacc to fall back on if I hate dentistry really isn't a big deal to me. Every single aspect of Dentistry just seems awesome- the job itself seems very enjoyable, you get to own your own business, work hours are great, pay is excellent... I really don't think I will get into Dental school and hate it.

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, just look at past years... Getting in after just 3 years is extremely hard and after just 2 years is statistically impossible.

Do those applying to Dental School with only the minimum reqs (2ish or 3ish years correct?) have to have amazing stats and ECs to be considered?

I am near certain Dentistry is the profession I want to pursue after spending time in my local Dentists office-I mean honestly to me it seems like the perfect career, so not having a Bacc to fall back on if I hate dentistry really isn't a big deal to me. Every single aspect of Dentistry just seems awesome- the job itself seems very enjoyable, you get to own your own business, work hours are great, pay is excellent... I really don't think I will get into Dental school and hate it.

Thanks a lot.

Some D-schools offer Bachelors, as for finishing in 3 years, yes, you do need amazing stats. If the school averages a 22 DAT then you need like a 23 or a 24, 3.7 average gpa then you need like a 3.75 or 3.8. Just an example, you need to be better than those with bach.

GOOD LUCK

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, just look at past years... Getting in after just 3 years is extremely hard and after just 2 years is statistically impossible.

Going to dental school after only 2 years of undergrad means that you will be taking DAT without some very, very helpful courses.

It also gives you only around 1 year to finish all the EC's.

whats the rush? why don't you get your degree?

i think it is possible to apply with only 2 years of experience.

Going to dental school after only 2 years of undergrad means that you will be taking DAT without some very, very helpful courses.

It also gives you only around 1 year to finish all the EC's.

Actually, by taking courses in the summer, taking the DAT after completing the requirements (2nd summer) and, of course, having excellent stats, it is doable.

don't bother with 2 years. if you have to ask about 3 years, then don't bother as well. In addition, more and more people with secondary or advanced degrees are applying to dental school. People on the admission committee also know that you will not be taking advanced courses until your junior and senior years, so unless they're blind, they're not going to accept you even with a 4.0 in the intro courses. Take your time and plan out your application process carefully. Rushing things will only waste your time and resources in the end.

A friend of mine got into UOP w/o a degree (3 years of undergrad work) and a 19 DAT. You don't need ridiculous stats.

i got into UOP without a degree(per se). only two years at a community college. my DAT was ok, not great (QR was actually horrible), but i was a 4.0 student and have worked in dentistry for years (i think that sealed the deal)

A friend of mine got into UOP w/o a degree (3 years of undergrad work) and a 19 DAT. You don't need ridiculous stats.

I am sure he had something else that was very unique. lets say a 4.0 etc
Even with a degree its tough.

I am sure he had something else that was very unique. lets say a 4.0 etc
Even with a degree its tough.

Nope definitely not a 4.0

Maybe he had lots of research and dental experience?

No research, but had good dental experience and great letters from alumni.

Okay, so one guy's friend got in after 3 years without amazing stats. This is clearly the exception. For the most part, you will need something that will really make you stand out to let you in without an undergraduate degree.

Acording to the ADEA, for the class entering dental school in 2006 - only 8 students got in after just 2 years of undergraduate studies - 7 of those were at UOP and probably came from the UOP special undergraduate pre-dental program. There were about 85 students who got in with three years of undergraduate study. However, not all school reported this information, so there might be a few more students who got in early.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to apply a year early if you have good stats and you really want to start dental school early. Just know you chances are not great. Also, many schools require you to have completed your undergraduate degree before you can start dental school, so you'll want to check with each school before applyiing.

I am going to Pacific this year w/ only 3 years of undergrad. Which means that I applied and took the DAT w/ only 2 years undergrad experience. I have a 3.3 GPA and a 21 on the DAT. Not that spectacular.

Pacific told me that having an undergraduated degree means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to them. They told me that I would be viewed no differently in my application process than someone with a degree.