Do application year activities "count"? (Specifically asking about Americorps)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bother ya'll again.

"Count" was poor phrasing, but I couldn't think of a better way.

I am applying in 2023. I am on the fence on what I want to do for my application year after I graduate. I am entertaining the idea of Americorps again because my non-clinical volunteer hours are not yet where I want them to be, especially for service-focused schools. (It turned out rape crisis work I have been doing for a long time was clinical and not non-clinical like I thought it was. Oops.)

As of right now, my non-clinical hours are a little hodgepodge. My only long-term thing is math tutoring at a juvenille detention center from 2017-2019. Otherwise, there is a lot of little things that are fairly low-hour.

Would doing Americorps during my application year (2023-2024 school year) make me a good candidate for service-focused schools, even if I hadn't completed those hours yet upon submission of my application?

Does that make sense?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It won't hurt. Might not help but it could help. You'd be asked about it at an interview to be sure you followed through and to learn of your experiences in that role.

Reactions: 1 users
A major, well-recognized activity like Americorps would probably get factored into your application. Would not completely serve as a substitute if you're really lacking in that area, but it doesn't sound like you're completely lacking

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying in 2023. I am on the fence on what I want to do for my application year after I graduate. I am entertaining the idea of Americorps again because my non-clinical volunteer hours are not yet where I want them to be, especially for service-focused schools. (It turned out rape crisis work I have been doing for a long time was clinical and not non-clinical like I thought it was. Oops.)

As of right now, my non-clinical hours are a little hodgepodge. My only long-term thing is math tutoring at a juvenille detention center from 2017-2019. Otherwise, there is a lot of little things that are fairly low-hour.

Would doing Americorps during my application year (2023-2024 school year) make me a good candidate for service-focused schools, even if I hadn't completed those hours yet upon submission of my application?

Does that make sense?

Thank you!
I wonder: who told you the rape crisis work you did was clinical, and what were those specific responsibilities.

I agree that Americorps won't hurt you. I'm not sure that starting while applying is necessarily helpful, especially if you already have over the threshold (150 hours) banked. Service-focused schools want 1000 hours, so Americorps can definitely help get you there.

I wonder: who told you the rape crisis work you did was clinical, and what were those specific responsibilities.

I agree that Americorps won't hurt you. I'm not sure that starting while applying is necessarily helpful, especially if you already have over the threshold (150 hours) banked. Service-focused schools want 1000 hours, so Americorps can definitely help get you there.

Someone else on SDN did the exact same thing and an ADCOM here told her it was clinical. Specifically, the ER calls County Crisis who then calls me when a survivor of sexual abuse/assault presents to the ER. I go there and stay with them for the duration of their visit for emotional support if they choose. (Some people want a friend or just want their space.) I also have a mountain of information from my supervisor I give people on miscellaneous stuff that may be relevant to people like the domestic violence center. I didn't have a formal job title until recently, but now they call me a "medical advocate".

I have other clinical experience (9 years hospice volunteering and 4 years child life volunteering), so if you think it is at all straddling the line between clinical and non-clinical, I probably want it non-clinical.

Last edited:
If one is in the emergency department, a clinical setting, and at the bedside of a person who is referred to as a "patient" then it does meet my definition of clinical. Just sayin'.

Is there a different way of looking at it that would make it non-clinical @Mr.Smile12 ?

If one is in the emergency department, a clinical setting, and at the bedside of a person who is referred to as a "patient" then it does meet my definition of clinical. Just sayin'.

Is there a different way of looking at it that would make it non-clinical @Mr.Smile12 ?
I just needed the full responsibilities. I appreciate the clarification especially regarding the "medical advocate" role.

Last edited:

I'm doing a seemingly identical volunteer position. Should I count all of the hours I am on call, or just the hours I am in the hospital?
While on call I also receive a lot of phone calls from people who have been assaulted or know someone who has and I provide them with resources, emotional support, etc.- so even when I am not in the hospital I can be quite busy.

I'm doing a seemingly identical volunteer position. Should I count all of the hours I am on call, or just the hours I am in the hospital?
While on call I also receive a lot of phone calls from people who have been assaulted or know someone who has and I provide them with resources, emotional support, etc.- so even when I am not in the hospital I can be quite busy.
I would not count "on call" hours when you are not actively engaged with patients. Depending on how many hours are involved, and how many other activities you have on your application, you might want to split this into two and describe each as a different activity. Or put the hospital hours in on top and add in the description that you also had x hours on call from home fielding phone calls from people seeking help.

Reactions: 2 users