DO applying Allergy/Immunology-Need help

Started by Deecee2DO
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Deecee2DO

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I am a USDO PGY1 at an upper mid-tier academic IM residency and will be applying A/I eventually. My question is do I need to take USMLE Step 3 in addition to Level 3? My stats are mid 250s for both USMLE Step 1 and 2, 6 publications and have strong allergy mentors. I am wondering since most Allergy programs are at strong well-known reputable academic centers will I need to take both Step 3 and Level 3 to be considered for these programs? My goal is to go to Stanford, Duke, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Yale level programs. I asked a few Dos at reputable A/I programs (UVA and Duke) and they said they only took Level 3 but the Allergy department chair at my program (my program doesn't have an Allergy fellowship but has a large allergy department) said I should take both Step 3 and Level 3. I am not sure what to do and need guidance here-I really don't want to have to take two exams yet again and also pay twice as much money yet again if I don't have to. Any advice from Allergy fellows or attendings especially academic involved in fellowship interviewing/selection process would be greatly appreciated!
 
I am a DO who matched a very good rheumatology program with only Level 3 (I took Steps 1 and 2CK).

I have never heard of a DO taking both step and level 3. I think it’s overkill.
 
USMLE step 3 in general is poorly regarded as a metric for PDs in fellowship. The bulk of your application should center around personal statement, letters of recommendation/PD evaluation, research and the reputation of your residency. It's an entirely different ballgame than residency