Do Away With Oral Boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACLPCL

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any reason to still keep this around than it being a huge money drain?
How can we go about taking steps to get this done away with. If we don't speak up it will stay indefinitely b/c of the money made from it. It seems most people are fed up with it but since we don't have to think about it any more after completing it, no momentum ever builds.

Members don't see this ad.

One of our sports fellows this year is FM trained. She took her written boards in the Spring of her 3rd year of residency and is DONE (prior to fellowship). Boards need to be standardized across all specialties. Some shouldn't still have oral boards which are obviously money grabs. Meanwhile, our PMR sports fellow has already taken written boards during fellowship and now has oral boards hanging over his head later in this year. Having to take two rounds of boards during your fellowship year, in my opinion, greatly restricts your learning because of the multiple months you have to dedicate studying for boards as opposed to reading/studying for your sub-specialty.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I'm all ears, but how specifically do you propose to go about it? It'd have to be a nationwide boycott of some sort by the vast majority of graduating residents/fellows. That level of coordination takes a lot of political organization...

Reactions: 1 user