Do binaural beats help with studying/comprehension/focus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taconacho

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys believe that binaural beats help with attention and focus during study session. I know alot of people at my school listened to music while studying. Does listening to music also improve attention, or is this personal preference? For me, I noticed that listening to music and studying split my attention and focus.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys believe that binaural beats help with attention and focus during study session. I know alot of people at my school listened to music while studying. Does listening to music also improve attention, or is this personal preference? For me, I noticed that listening to music and studying split my attention and focus.

Definitely helps me focus. It’s going to be person dependent. I know people who need absolute silence to focus. I think that’s kind of a disadvantage, personally.

Edit: talking about music here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

I need it 100% quiet or else I can't focus. Doesn't help at all. The Beta-wave theory for ADHD improvement is unproven and they are trying to capitalize on views. If you want focus, work out early in the morning before you start your day. It helps me a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I listened to some crap like that and I thought it helped. I think the main reason it helped is because I'm very easily distracted/irritated by any sounds going on around me, so having the background noise drowning all that stuff helped me to focus on studying.

Definitely helps me focus. It’s going to be person dependent. I know people who need absolute silence to focus. I think that’s kind of a disadvantage, personally.
Agreed. I never find myself getting distracted by noise in the testing rooms, but I have noticed that when it gets noisy, I start playing music in my own head. If I was used to studying in complete silence I'd want to murder my classmates; we take our anatomy practical in shifts during our other exams, so a good quarter of the class gets up and then comes back in the middle of our exam, plus we have unlimited, unmonitored breaks so people are always going in and out of the room.

I can't listen to music with lyrics that I understand. So I either go instrumental or music in another language. I find myself paying attention too much to the words if I understand them.

Most of my studying is group studying, though, so I rarely study by myself.

This is interesting. Since a majority seems to listen to music while studying, do you guys ever associate the song/music with the topic? Like, you see a question about heart anatomy, and remember a Taylor Swift song rofl.

I can't listen to music with lyrics that I understand. So I either go instrumental or music in another language. I find myself paying attention too much to the words if I understand them.

Most of my studying is group studying, though, so I rarely study by myself.
Same! I do a mix of movie soundtrack/instrumental electronic. I knew I'd finally studied enough Spanish when I stopped being able to study to it, lol.

I'm one of those people who need complete silence to study because I'm a weirdo and I read out loud....lol, it's odd but hearing it helps me to understand the topic.

I'm one of those people who need complete silence to study because I'm a weirdo and I read out loud....lol, it's odd but hearing it helps me to understand the topic.
Doesn't that reduce your reading speed by at least a factor of 4? I go insane if I have to sit there and wait for something to be read out loud because it's so slow, can't imagine doing that for textbooks.

Agreed. I never find myself getting distracted by noise in the testing rooms, but I have noticed that when it gets noisy, I start playing music in my own head. If I was used to studying in complete silence I'd want to murder my classmates; we take our anatomy practical in shifts during our other exams, so a good quarter of the class gets up and then comes back in the middle of our exam, plus we have unlimited, unmonitored breaks so people are always going in and out of the room.

Yeah, I mean just from being in the Navy, I don't lose focus when there's noise around. But I do play music in my head during tests and ****, even if it's quiet. I just focus better when there's music on (or sometimes I use movies).

Doesn't that reduce your reading speed by at least a factor of 4? I go insane if I have to sit there and wait for something to be read out loud because it's so slow, can't imagine doing that for textbooks.

Lol it's awful, but I'm actually a quick reader. I think it's hearing it that helps me to learn. It's weird haha.

I can't focus with silence, my mind starts wandering, earworm sets in, and I end up with an almost completely useless study session.

I can't listen to music either, but there's a YouTube video that's literally 10 straight hours of brown noise that I'm pretty sure I've listened to a couple hundred times during the course of med school. Definitely helped me keep focus longer and cut down the number of breaks I needed to stay focused.

I can't focus with silence, my mind starts wandering, earworm sets in, and I end up with an almost completely useless study session.

I can't listen to music either, but there's a YouTube video that's literally 10 straight hours of brown noise that I'm pretty sure I've listened to a couple hundred times during the course of med school. Definitely helped me keep focus longer and cut down the number of breaks I needed to stay focused.
Do you mind posting a link o the video?