You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Do burned out pain docs ever become device reps
Started by Agast
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
That would have the opposite effect on meI've wondered that myself. As PM&R, I am bowing out and going to part-time EMG this summer. I anticipate that my burnout/stress level will immediately drop by 95%.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Granted, some EMGs are a pain, but for the most part it is pretty straight-forward and mundane. When the test is over, my job is done.That would have the opposite effect on me
Granted, some EMGs are a pain, but for the most part it is pretty straight-forward and mundane. When the test is over, my job is done.
I loathe doing EMGs.
My professional satisfaction working in 2 orthopedic groups during my career, improved markedly once I was able to find someone else to do the EMGs for both practices.
Agreed. I no longer do them. Have a general pmr and late career interventional pain pmr doc doing full time emg. They do not need to deal with prior auth, patient messages, etc. Do your thing, dictate the note and go home. Definitely not for me, but if you don’t mind doing EMGs and are OK making less money then interventional…. Doesn’t seem like a bad gig.I loathe doing EMGs.
My professional satisfaction working in 2 orthopedic groups during my career, improved markedly once I was able to find someone else to do the EMGs for both practices.
I've known a few guys who do 100% EMG and love it. I could totally see this being a fun job.Granted, some EMGs are a pain, but for the most part it is pretty straight-forward and mundane. When the test is over, my job is done.
I haven't seen it, only seen OR techs and that kind of thing.Asking for a friend
I think the money for this type of gig is extremely variable. Feast or famine.
The main issues I see would be that you have to HUSTLE, do lunches, and otherwise suck up to potential marks for sales. And the other thing is supporting what you immediately recognize as BAD MEDICINE. No one likes a judgemental rep, so your "friend" would never fit in...
I haven't seen it, only seen OR techs and that kind of thing.
I think the money for this type of gig is extremely variable. Feast or famine.
The main issues I see would be that you have to HUSTLE, do lunches, and otherwise suck up to potential marks for sales. And the other thing is supporting what you immediately recognize as BAD MEDICINE. No one likes a judgemental rep, so your "friend" would never fit in...
Agree with this
100%...EMGs during residency were miserable. Most of the indications made no sense, and the tests were miserable to do.That would have the opposite effect on me
being device rep seems even more overwhelming.
After hours call with patients
After hours call with patients
Most docs don’t have the social skills to do this.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
EMGs used to pay decently, halfway between clinic and interventional pain procedures. All the codes got cut in half in 2012, and now pay around the same as clinic. I saw that coming and got out of doing EMGs at the end of 2011!Isn’t the reimbursement total crap now anyway. I can’t imagine doing that test all day and getting paid nothing for it. That’s a recipe for burnout
Granted, some EMGs are a pain, but for the most part it is pretty straight-forward and mundane. When the test is over, my job is done.
Hire a tech...
Oregon Neurodiagnostic: Nerve and Pain Specialists
columbiapain.org
EMGs used to pay decently, halfway between clinic and interventional pain procedures. All the codes got cut in half in 2012, and now pay around the same as clinic. I saw that coming and got out of doing EMGs at the end of 2011!
Some commercial payers, comp, and PI still pencil well.
Some commercial payers, comp, and PI still pencil well.
PI yes.
I’ve only seen crap EMG reimbursement from WC and 90% of commercial insurance.
Last edited:
PI yes.
I’ve only seen crap reimbursement from WC and 90% of commercial insurance.
You need better contracts...🙂
You need better contracts...🙂
lol. I haven’t looked hard at EMG reimbursement for a while.
Definitely pays far less than interventional treatments.
lol. I haven’t looked hard at EMG reimbursement for a while.
Definitely pays far less than interventional treatments.
It does. But, if there's a deficit of neuros doing studies or if the wait is long, you've got some leverage to negotiate.
Good thought, but I am very quick with the nerve conductions now. If I get a tech I would end up spending more time trying to interpret or redo their studies. You can move along pretty quickly with a Cadwell and some templates.
Regarding the above comments on pay - yes EMG definitely took a hit in 2012. Let's face it though, interventional spine has been hammered as well. The only way to make it in PP spine now is to crank through a high volume of patients every day. That means more procedures (and therefore a commensurate higher risk of complications), more phone calls, more medications, etc. At this point in my career, I have no desire to take on those risks and headaches for what I consider to be insufficient and still steadily declining reimbursement. I have all the respect in the world for everyone here who continues to forge onward.
You probably wouldn’t be the device or pharm rep but rather the medical director or something like that. May pay pretty well and you wouldn’t have to be the salesman
I doubt it pays that well… maybe somewhere between 25-50th percentile for MGMA pain docs.
The other option, which is probably very easy and lucrative, is to do what @Baron Samedi does which is do peer reviews from his home to deny care for the insurance companies. It’s also personality dependent. If you like to sell things, then device rep is good for you. If you like to do the opposite, then denying patient care is probably for you. That being said, whenever I do a peer review it’s pretty reasonable.
Last edited:
Agree with Bob. I've been thinking a lot lately about the power and origin of a salesperson personality. It almost never overlaps with personalities of people who have to succeed in what many would consider the hard way, like doctors.
To whatever extent a salesperson is trainable, I think it would be more difficult to do after medical training. Within seconds, I can practically always tell who's an attending physician in a medical setting. The process changes us in ways that are not compatible with sycophancy.
But I think it could be worth a shot if you're actually interested and failure wouldn't ruin you. I can't recall specifics, but I have heard of at least one doc doing this.
To whatever extent a salesperson is trainable, I think it would be more difficult to do after medical training. Within seconds, I can practically always tell who's an attending physician in a medical setting. The process changes us in ways that are not compatible with sycophancy.
But I think it could be worth a shot if you're actually interested and failure wouldn't ruin you. I can't recall specifics, but I have heard of at least one doc doing this.
Can be a stim rep!!
I would rather take a kypho drill to the urethra….
I would rather take a kypho drill to the urethra….
Baron is a regular pain doc, when he said he works on the other side he meant civilian medicineThe other option, which is probably very easy and lucrative, is to do what @Baron Samedi does which is do peer reviews from his home to deny care for the insurance companies. It’s also personality dependent. If you like to sell things, then device rep is good for you. If you like to do the opposite, then denying patient care is probably for you. That being said, whenever I do a peer review it’s pretty reasonable.
The other option, which is probably very easy and lucrative, is to do what @Baron Samedi does which is do peer reviews from his home to deny care for the insurance companies. It’s also personality dependent. If you like to sell things, then device rep is good for you. If you like to do the opposite, then denying patient care is probably for you. That being said, whenever I do a peer review it’s pretty reasonable.
How lucrative?
nope…..he said…..”Also I'm no longer a military doc. I've moved onto the greener pastures of peer-to-peers and denials.”Baron is a regular pain doc, when he said he works on the other side he meant civilian medicine
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This quote sounds like working in civilian medicine dealing with the headache of peer to peers and denials, not working for the insurance agency.denials.
nope…..he said…..”Also I'm no longer a military doc. I've moved onto the greener pastures of peer-to-peers and denials.”
Not really. if you understand English, it’s pretty clear.This quote sounds like working in civilian medicine dealing with the headache of peer to peers and denials, not working for the insurance agency.
actually you're wrong, agree with agast and others.Not really. if you understand English, it’s pretty clear.
Yeah, I must’ve missed the other part she mentioned. Or he backtracked(more likely).actually you're wrong, agree with agast and others.
Last edited:
It's surprisingly easy to find burned out docs who need extra money to support their heavily leveraged lifestyles.How lucrative?
So, "not very" is your answer.
Probably just a lapse in judgment when he realized he told a room full of doctors that he works against them. Either way, what’s done is done.actually you're wrong, agree with agast and others.
Actually, @Baron Samedi told me what he really wanted was to get into regenerative medicine pain in Florida. I thought to myself, Too bad Doctodd isn’t around because he could have bought that practiceProbably just a lapse in judgment when he realized he told a room full of doctors that he works against them. Either way, what’s done is done.
i guess when everyone is saying something and another person is saying something, clearly everyone is wrong...Probably just a lapse in judgment when he realized he told a room full of doctors that he works against them. Either way, what’s done is done.
Oh my, what is going on in this thread lol. I had to block that guy (creepy vibes) so I'm late to the party.Actually, @Baron Samedi told me what he really wanted was to get into regenerative medicine pain in Florida. I thought to myself, Too bad Doctodd isn’t around because he could have bought that practice
As for the original question, sometimes things pop up on Drop Out Club that look interesting if you want to pivot to non-clinical.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 426