Do clinical postdocs care how many publications I have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BananaKetchup

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What about clinical (VA) jobs, for that matter? Basically, I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to keep publishing while on internship if I am going for clinical positions.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the time and support....it can only help. Honestly though, they probably don't care. I encourage students to continue publishing bc it is good for training and most stop once they get licensed and at their first job.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's always good to take an active role in research early in your career. Perhaps this means you're a secondary author, but this is still beneficial. It's much more difficult to get BACK into the research game after you've been out of it, which may not seem like a big deal now, but may be something future you would like to revisit. So I wouldn't drop the publication efforts entirely. Don't necessarily go out of your way to make the pubs happen but if there are opportunities, certainly take advantage of them.

I've been at more research heavy VAs, and yes, they definitely care about your research productivity. Especially in the neuro world.
What are neuro internships and post docs looking for in terms of research productivity at time of application and during each?

What are neuro internships and post docs looking for in terms of research productivity at time of application and during each?

Going to vary based on how research heavy it is. But you should probably have at least 1-2 first authors, maybe a smattering of secondary/tertiary, and you definitely need to be presenting posters and such at conferences like INS/AACN/NAN.

Reactions: 1 user
This is largely in the eye of the beholder. Within neuro, I'd see it as a red flag if someone didn't have at least 1-2 first author publications.

As others have mentioned, many folks who are predominantly clinicians fizzle out of research pretty fast once they get up and running. It can be hard to keep up, but I encourage people to remain in the game - even as a collaborator on projects if you can. At a minimum it might give you a reason to attend conferences and get your institution to fund your travel.

This is largely in the eye of the beholder. Within neuro, I'd see it as a red flag if someone didn't have at least 1-2 first author publications.

As others have mentioned, many folks who are predominantly clinicians fizzle out of research pretty fast once they get up and running. It can be hard to keep up, but I encourage people to remain in the game - even as a collaborator on projects if you can. At a minimum it might give you a reason to attend conferences and get your institution to fund your travel.

It lost its "glory" once I got out of grad school...:)