Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Do colleges consider......

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by OATkilla, Jan 1, 2009.

1. OATkilla

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Hi guys,

I was just curious. Do colleges like NOVA, PCO, and UHCO consider your college majors? Does having a harder major (ex: physics, chemistry) would be more advantage then someone who have a easier major with the same gpa/OATs? Also, do colleges consider courses taken at a community college versus a university?

Thanks in advance!!! :D

2. eheaps

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    I'm not really sure if they would take into consideration your major, however, for the most part you need to take most of the challenging bio and chem classes as prereqs. As a result, doing a non science major can come out to even more work, which could make it look better.

For the community college vs university i'm pretty sure they like to see most of the prereqs done at the university/college you regularly attend. One or two classes at a comm school won't hurt you though.

3. CCTX87

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I know for Houston that they have students from a variety of majors. As long as you take their pre reqs and have a good GPA and score well for the OAT you have as good of chance as all other majors. They also of course look at your course load. They like to know if you can handle 16+ hours a semester. I would not recommend taking too many of the pre-req courses for UHCO from a community college because they do consider how competitive the college that you attend is versus other applicants.

4. mrfunnyman

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    The director of admissions from SCCO came to my school one day and said that they do acknowledge that having a high gpa in a science major is harder than getting a high gpa in a non-science major. So you probably will have a very small advantage being a science major. Not sure if it's like that in other schools. IMO though, I say it's just better to just major in what you're interested in and make sure you do well in the required pre-reqs and youll be fine.