Do connections increase chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aeuphemism

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am by no means depending on family connections to get into med school, but I'm curious as to how much they help (if at all) my chances at getting into certain medical schools.

I have a very strong connection at Jefferson (father was chief resident, a fellow and a teacher there, still has friends who are faculty/admin. He also had a pretty memorable acceptance story (was a FMG)). I have some connections at UPenn and UC San Diego as well.

I realize that connections do not make or break any application. Just wanted to know how much of an effect it has.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Jefferson maybe, depending on luck.

UPenn and UCSD probably not.

The Jefferson "connection" will not save a marginal applicant. Perhaps it could influence a borderline applicant(although if it is is really dependent on how many people he knows and whether he is close with the right people who will decide the fate of your app).

Members don't see this ad :)
I suspect that your dad can pull strings to get you a polite courtesy interview at Jefferson.

But if your app is a poor one, you'll be politely put onto the wait list, which will eventually turn into a polite rejection.

I had a college friend whose aunt was a donor to Mt Sinai. She arranged an interview. His stats were nowhere near what Mt Sinai wanted, and he was rejected , well, politely.

Which is just as well...he wouldn't have been able to hack med school.

Agree that U Penn and UCSD would simply be a waste of time, unless you have a killer app.

I'm not criticizing you, OP, but oddly, no one in the pre-all forum bitches about this at all. Mention URM though, and the wailing, garment rending and gnashing of teeth start!

Hi all,

I am by no means depending on family connections to get into med school, but I'm curious as to how much they help (if at all) my chances at getting into certain medical schools.

I have a very strong connection at Jefferson (father was chief resident, a fellow and a teacher there, still has friends who are faculty/admin. He also had a pretty memorable acceptance story (was a FMG)). I have some connections at UPenn and UC San Diego as well.

I realize that connections do not make or break any application. Just wanted to know how much of an effect it has.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 2 users
What about connections that are not "my dad went here" or "my aunt gave them lots of cash money" but rather having worked at a university hospital for a number of years or earned another degree from the same institution?

What about connections that are not "my dad went here" or "my aunt gave them lots of cash money" but rather having worked at a university hospital for a number of years or earned another degree from the same institution?

Unless they're in a position of power and influence... I can't imagine them being any different than "just another staff."

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback! I have a decent application, not spectacular, but good enough (3.74 GPA, 520 MCAT). I knew that my connection at UPenn wouldn't be much of an influence on my app. Just thought I'd mention it since my dad was in Philly for a conference recently and met up with some people who work at UPenn. He mentioned that I was applying. A dude from UPenn was really interested in my research and study abroad experiences and said I'd be a great match for the uni if my stats were in range. He said he'd "put in a good word for me". Not sure if that really changes things, but again, I'm not really depending on any of these connections to get in. Thanks all!

OP... Does a bear **** in the woods?

Reactions: 1 users