Do dentists actually earn that much $$ as the public preceive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I 've told many of my friends that I want to become a dentist. Most of their first reaction is along the line, "woah! You are gonna be a rich man!" or "you are gonna bring a lot of dough!!". I don't expect myself being a rich man as a dentist. I 've always wanted to do it cuz the work seems interesting and knew my basic needs will be met as long I work hard.

I just don't see why dentists would earn so much $ like the public says given the fact that most dental students have incured $150K+ debts. Not only that, most dentists invest in private practice that probably cost like a home. Or is it b/c dentists charge so much $ for every procedure that the public thought they actually take home that much amount of $$ without considering the overheard?

Members don't see this ad.

Smooth Operater said:
I 've told many of my friends that I want to become a dentist. Most of their first reaction is along the line, "woah! You are gonna be a rich man!" or "you are gonna bring a lot of dough!!". I don't expect myself being a rich man as a dentist. I 've always wanted to do it cuz the work seems interesting and knew my basic needs will be met as long I work hard.

I just don't see why dentists would earn so much $ like the public says given the fact that most dental students have incured $150K+ debts. Not only that, most dentists invest in private practice that probably cost like a home. Or is it b/c dentists charge so much $ for every procedure that the public thought they actually take home that much amount of $$ without considering the overheard?

I'm not sure if you personally know any dentists, but all the ones I know are quite wealthy. We have a few family friends that are general dentists and each one of them has a big house, nice cars, and vacation homes in Rocky Point. It also depends on how many patients you get and what area you are located in. But I've never met a dentist that wasn't extremely well off.

Smooth Operater said:

You're probably not going to be rich as a dentist. Those guys are the top percent. There are plenty out there pulling in $200,00-300,000, which is definitely not rich. But there are more pulling in $100,000-200,000. Now I'm talking general dentistry here. You make a great living, but you're not going to be cruising around in your Bentley with a $5 million house in the Hollywood Hills. Yes, people think we make obscene amounts of money because they don't understand how high the overhead is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Smooth Operater said:

Dentists in general? yeah they'll make pretty decent money, not enough to be wealthy or have power or influence, but enough to get by comfortably.

Now if you're asking about you yourself personally? as in Smooth Operator? Uhh.... I don't think you'll make any money in anything based on your inability to make simple, independent decisions. :)

jay228 said:
Dentists in general? yeah they'll make pretty decent money, not enough to be wealthy or have power or influence, but enough to get by comfortably.

Now if you're asking about you yourself personally? as in Smooth Operator? Uhh.... I don't think you'll make any money in anything based on your inability to make simple, independent decisions. :)

Ah, don't worry about this comment. And as a side note, the most financially successful dentists I know didn't go to 'top tier' dental schools nor did they graduate anywhere near top of the class. Anyone can learn the proper principles to make money. It's effective patient management which is difficult, and this is what will ultimately determine the success of your practice.

I have a relative that is the only dentist in his town. 2 yrs ago, he made $980,000. Of course, he had to pay taxes, and expenses, but hey--the guy has many houses....one that walks out to the beach! Oh, he now has a second practice!

He has no student loan. Graduated in the 80's. Moved to rural area where he bought a $50,000 place for the office.....

Are we going to live like this? Not for a loooooooooog time :( But that's OK.

Also, by having a high income you can do more investments. I know this female dentist that built a $1.2 million house...the market is *hot* here in South Florida....so now not even 3 yrs and the house is worth $3.4 and is on the market for sale :D Not bad huh? She's done lots of investments like this one.

I'm doing mini-invesments too, so that when I start dental school I can pay at least 1 year of the whole thing :oops:

I'm a mortgage broker here, so I'm always doing the math with the tution stuff! ;)

No more hurricanes, please :smuggrin:

drhobie7 said:
...............It's effective patient management which is difficult, and this is what will ultimately determine the success of your practice.

I agree 100%

Smooth Operater said:

First off, you have to be good at what you do to earn lots of cash. Second, depending on where you are, you can make lots of cash. Last, given the hours worked, dentists sometimes earn much more than most physicians. Best of luck... :thumbup:

It's all relative. You can't forget that the average working American earns something like $38,000 each year. That comes out to be something like $17/hr. The average first-year dentist working as an associate will likely make $50 or so an hour.

Rich is in the eye of the beholder.

As an associate you'll make about $500 a day. Let's say you are a really bad bussiness man for whatever the reason is and will never open up your own office. Even if you work 5 days a week that's $2500 a week. Therefore,
about $10,000 a month and $120,000 a year. You are making 6 figures w/o
even paying for an office or many other costs. This is not bad for a Beginer
Dont you think?

Reactions: 1 user
Ash said:
As an associate you'll make about $500 a day. Let's say you are a really bad bussiness man for whatever the reason is and will never open up your own office. Even if you work 5 days a week that's $2500 a week. Therefore,
about $10,000 a month and $120,000 a year. You are making 6 figures w/o
even paying for an office or many other costs. This is not bad for a Beginer
Dont you think?

I'll take it. :)

$500 a day? Hey, I'll take that too :D

By the time I graduate I'll have teenagers, so it will all be to pay student loans & my kids college! :scared:

Is that before or after tax? I believe 120K is in the 39% tax bracket.

Members don't see this ad :)
FUTDR said:
Is that before or after tax? I believe 120K is in the 39% tax bracket.

Don't worry about the %%%%, soon you will have children, mortgage, property taxes and bunch of other stuff to pay, so by the time you do deductions you won't be paying that much %%%%.....

Now, if you stay single, no kids, rent, etc...then: :eek: It will suck for a while.

Not a reason to get married* :laugh:

I think it really depends on how lucky you are.

If you are in a really saturated area, which tends to be a metropolitan, I'd assume >$70,000 would be a reach.

I think that after all the efforts, only a few will make over $100,000.

I'll be happy to get anything over $100,000.

My father has 2 dental practices and drives a bmw X5 and we live in a 4600 square foot house and have a cottage. He brings in about 205,00-225,000 dollars a year. (Including taxes)

i know several dentists all 2-3 yrs out of school have houses already, practices $100,000 cars and go on vacation every other weekend

2 practices and only 200k a year?

Reactions: 3 users
Love seeing threads who's last post was made when I just became a teenager... well posted there Shaylalani

Reactions: 1 users
Don't worry about the %%%%, soon you will have children, mortgage, property taxes and bunch of other stuff to pay, so by the time you do deductions you won't be paying that much %%%%.....

Now, if you stay single, no kids, rent, etc...then: :eek: It will suck for a while.

Not a reason to get married* :laugh:
You get a pretty nice tax deduction if you do have a marriage license though

Last edited: