DO/DMD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surfer85

Reaction score
I noticed that Nova Southeastern has Do/Dmd program. I was wondering if it would possible to practice both family medicine and general dentistry in private practice one day? I am a senior in college and interested in eventually practicing in a rural/underserved area.

Members don't see this ad.

I do not know for sure if it still works this way but students were admitted upon interest following academic success in their first year of either the DO or DMD program to complete the joint degree. If it’s not a huge difference in price, it may be worth considering. This would really only be useful in an area that needs a doctor AND a dentist. Who knows.. you may change your mind on wanting to practice rurally. Then the extra degree isn’t worth much beyond being able to practice one OR the other.

From my understanding, this program is really only useful if you want to do maxillofacial surgery or some such.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding, this program is really only useful if you want to do maxillofacial surgery or some such.

You are probably correct. And it's kind of stupid because OMFS programs are supposed to be very competitive and you aren't supposed to get a dual-degree before you begin residency. The traditional track in OMFS is that you graduate from a dental school, and apply to OMFS residency (which is either a 4 year non-MD-granting residency, or a 6 year MD-granting residency). Coming from such a low tier dental school (which is also giving you a DO degree...) you are likely not even close to competitive for these residency programs.

In short, it's probably just a pathetic money making scheme, as are the vast majority of osteopathic endeavors under the guise of "improving access to patient care"...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
So the program is more geared toward making a candidate competitive for OMFS since they have both a dental and medical degree when applying to OMFS? I kinda liked the idea of working as both a general dentist and family medicine physician as it gives a greater amount of diversity to your scope of practice, however it does not seem possible to do this :(?

So the program is more geared toward making a candidate competitive for OMFS since they have both a dental and medical degree when applying to OMFS? I kinda liked the idea of working as both a general dentist and family medicine physician as it gives a greater amount of diversity to your scope of practice, however it does not seem possible to do this :(?

You're not supposed to have both degrees when applying for OMFS - you're supposed to graduate from a dental school and then apply to OMFS residency (either 4 year or 6 year track).

Why would you want to work as both a general dentist and family medicine doctor? That makes zero sense. You should get good at one role and not divide your responsibilities between two completely different professions. This is the same thing as people doing residency in two different fields and practicing in both - what would you say about someone who is both an orthopedic surgeon AND a neurologist? I'd say that person is likely inexperienced in BOTH fields. I would never go to such a physician for treatment.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it’s a little different than completing to separate residencies. I think family medicine and general dentistry are both human necessities and seem to coincide. I also think with the encroachment of mid level providers into primary care, it could give a primary care physician a way to differentiate themselves for their peers. I feel as if someone has a doctoral degree in both dentistry and family medicine, they would be qualified to practice both. Not saying I want to do this and I see where you are coming from, but I think there could be a place for someone practicing both.

I could see how it would make a candidate more competitive for the 4 yr OMFS programs since they already have a great amount of medical knowledge that could help them in treating patients that have various complications.

I think a DO/RN dual degree would make more sense than this.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I could see how it would make a candidate more competitive for the 4 yr OMFS programs since they already have a great amount of medical knowledge that could help them in treating patients that have various complications.

It will not make you more competitive at all. In fact, it will probably make you look weird for attending a dual DO/DMD program. The DO might actually make you even less competitive for OMFS, lol. And coming from an extremely low tier dental school is also not going to help. It seems like this program is nothing more than a scam and an attempt to get money out of unsuspecting people.

Here's a thread discussing this, with people who are actually in the field:

Just pick one degree... You're going down a path that makes zero sense, financially and practically. The goal of this program is to steal your money - don't let them.

This would ONLY make sense if Nova has its own omfs residency or an affiliation with one with an almost gaurentee that you get into, that way you get your dmd from nova and get into an omfs residency affiliated with nova that also gives you your DO degree. That’s the only way this would work- if it even exists

I think it’s a little different than completing to separate residencies. I think family medicine and general dentistry are both human necessities and seem to coincide. I also think with the encroachment of mid level providers into primary care, it could give a primary care physician a way to differentiate themselves for their peers. I feel as if someone has a doctoral degree in both dentistry and family medicine, they would be qualified to practice both. Not saying I want to do this and I see where you are coming from, but I think there could be a place for someone practicing both.

How are you going to practice both? 2-day dentistry and 3-day FM... It's difficult to keep up practicing one specialty already because of constant changes in guidelines, government bureaucracy etc..., so practicing both will not be easy. I personally don't think the two combo make sense.

FM market is great and one can make 300k+ without killing themselves. If you want to be a physician, stick with FM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Really 300k as a family med physician?!? I thought its usually about 200k? I understand what you guys are saying how it would be hard to practice both. I think you could practice both on a daily basis, but it would be hard due to regulations and stuff. I've read it costs about 300k to start a dental practice vs only about 70k to start your own family medicine office.

Really 300k as a family med physician?!? I thought its usually about 200k? I understand what you guys are saying how it would be hard to practice both. I think you could practice both on a daily basis, but it would be hard due to regulations and stuff. I've read it costs about 300k to start a dental practice vs only about 70k to start your own family medicine office.
Most jobs are 200-250k/yr working 4 or 41/2 days/wk, but you can certainly work another side gig to supplement your income...

I think that a very low rated school is adding something they are either getting a gov't kick back for or something having to do with MONEY$$$. I would not bother with it as it will not be a competitive degree anywhere and really makes no sense unless you want the dental knowledge for surgical specialties. Being a dentist-doc like in the 1800s will never fly due to litigation today. Once you are a doc? Litigation quadruples from dental--and having anything medical attached will attract lawsuits. As a D.O. I had 'back clinics' after hours for Employees only (I was a surgeon) because the hospital was too fearful of lawsuits for manipulation!!! That's how it is today:(
I would not touch it w/a 10 foot pole...just my 2 cents...

This would ONLY make sense if Nova has its own omfs residency or an affiliation with one with an almost gaurentee that you get into, that way you get your dmd from nova and get into an omfs residency affiliated with nova that also gives you your DO degree. That’s the only way this would work- if it even exists
it does offer that specialty

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user