This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fan2342

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in pursuing the DO/DMD degree and wanted to see what your guys' opinions on this were. I was interested in specializing in oral surgery and either family medicine or orthopedic surgery but am unsure how that would work after I would graduate and if it is the best option. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in pursuing the DO/DMD degree and wanted to see what your guys' opinions on this were. I was interested in specializing in oral surgery and either family medicine or orthopedic surgery but am unsure how that would work after I would graduate and if it is the best option. What do you guys think?

It would be a waste to get that extra DMD if you're also looking into family medicine or orthopedic surgery. With family medicine, DO is fine. With Orthopedic Surgery, go MD. If you want to do oral surgery, then go DO/DMD. It really depends on what specialty you really want to go for.

It would be a waste to get that extra DMD if you're also looking into family medicine or orthopedic surgery. With family medicine, DO is fine. With Orthopedic Surgery, go MD. If you want to do oral surgery, then go DO/DMD. It really depends on what specialty you really want to go for.
Well im in dual admission for the dental school so my primary path that I want to pursue is oral surgery and the dental school offers the DO/DMD so what would my next steps be? Would I specialize in oral surgery and then with the DO? or what do I do with the DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well im in dual admission for the dental school so my primary path that I want to pursue is oral surgery and the dental school offers the DO/DMD so what would my next steps be? Would I specialize in oral surgery and then with the DO? or what do I do with the DO?

If you want to do oral surgery you don't do anything with the DO. It's more of a marketing thing. If you want to do something with the DO then you essentially ditch the DMD. It is not possible to be an oral surgeon AND a orthopedic surgeon or FP doc. You have to choose.

You should finish up your degree with an MD OMFS fellowship. Then you'll be what is likely the world's first MD/DO/DMD, which is worth it for the looks you'll get when people look at your nametag alone.

Reactions: 2 users
If you want to do oral surgery you don't do anything with the DO. It's more of a marketing thing. If you want to do something with the DO then you essentially ditch the DMD. It is not possible to be an oral surgeon AND a orthopedic surgeon or FP doc. You have to choose.
You should finish up your degree with an MD OMFS fellowship. Then you'll be what is likely the world's first MD/DO/DMD, which is worth it for the looks you'll get when people look at your nametag alone.
So it would not be like 2 professions correct?

He wouldn't be awarded an MD just because he completed an ACGME fellowship

Reactions: 1 users
So it would not be like 2 professions correct?

No, you are currently in a DO/DMD program? What school? Honestly I can't really see the point unless it is one of those combined OMFS/MD residencies.

I actually personally know a surgeon who went to dental school, did one of those residencies Mad Jack is talking about (MD/OMFS) then decided the oral stuff wasn't for him and is now a general surgeon. His badge only has MD on it. It is basically impossible to have 2 professions due to the time commitment of each one.

So you do have a couple options but at the end of the day you will have to choose.

http://www.dental.upenn.edu/academi...and_maxillofacial_surgery_residencymd_program
The MD paired OMFS residencies (I mistakenly called them fellowships) are 6 years, with two years being medical school, and do, in fact, award you an MD. It's the back door from dentistry to being an MD surgeon, basically.

That one is for dental students, so OP would have to be accepted and attend a dental school and apply to such a residency program (which are highly competitive)

http://osteopathic.nova.edu/dodmd/
That one is for dental students, so OP would have to be accepted and attend a dental school and apply to such a residency program (which are highly competitive)
He was asking about the dual DO/DMD programs, or so I thought given the thread title. They exist, or at least one does, and are joint programs that take 6 years and grant one both a medical and dental license.

Yea. Was gonna say. This is offered by one place and it's essentially identically to any other OMFS/MD program (of which there are many).

Have fun. But known that you're doing it for the oral surgery. It's a hell of a long journey for any other field

http://osteopathic.nova.edu/dodmd/

He was asking about the dual DO/DMD programs, or so I thought given the thread title. They exist, or at least one does, and are joint programs that take 6 years and grant one both a medical and dental license.

Ok but your post said that he could obtain all three degrees, MD/DO/DMD, which wouldn't happen unless he went to dental school, then an OMFS residency, then went to a DO school afterwards.

Ok but your post said that he could obtain all three degrees, MD/DO/DMD, which wouldn't happen unless he went to dental school, then an OMFS residency, then went to a DO school afterwards.
I was saying he should complete the 6 year DO/DMD program, then afterward attend a 6-year OMFS program. This would, in fact, net him all three degrees and the right to be a surgeon in twelve years total.

Reactions: 1 user

See the above post. It is possible to have all 3, complete waste of time and money but possible.

I'd throw in a DPM and OD to confuse people even more.

Reactions: 2 users

As others have said, the 6-year OMFS residencies award an MD degree. You may also do a 4-year residency without the MD. Doing the DMD/DO program would probably make you a more competitive applicant for those residencies. I also considered the DMD/DO program at Nova. Their goal is to produce people who can practice both primary care medicine and general dental medicine in rural areas. There are no limitations to what you can do, though.

If you want to be an orthopedic surgeon, you should have gone to medical school. You might be able to transition into an orthopedic residency graduating from the DMD/DO program, but the DMD would be a complete waste of your time, and orthopedic surgery is one of the most competitive specialties to get into.

If you want to do family medicine, do the DMD/DO program and you can practice both family medicine and general dentistry. This is what the program was initially intended for.