This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fan2342

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Nova has this DO/DMD program and I am interested in both medicine and dentistry. I also would like to help my parents with their debt because they have provided a lot for me. Is the DO/DMD a good business option? Apart from the science and helping people which is obviously a factor, I am wondering about the business benefits. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So Nova has this DO/DMD program and I am interested in both medicine and dentistry. I also would like to help my parents with their debt because they have provided a lot for me. Is the DO/DMD a good business option? Apart from the science and helping people which is obviously a factor, I am wondering about the business benefits. Thanks

It's hard to be both a dentist and a doctor. Pick one and be the best you can at it.

The idea behind it is you can practice in a rural area and be the doctor during the day and a dentist in the afternoon (or vis versa). It's hard to do both though and keep up the skills. It could be helpful for oral surgery but also unnecessary. It's also 2 years extra of school.

I personally don't recommend the program but there are a lot of successful people that did this!

Call up Nova and ask them what their graduates do with their dual DO/DMD. If you don't know how you would use it or what advantages you would gain, don't do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second what Camaxtli says. It is extremely difficult to practice two specialties and maintain adequate skills. Part of being a physician is being a lifelong learner, and that means consistent exposure to a variety of cases that challenge you/hone your skills. That said, if you like rural practice and literally plan on being out on the Yukon or in a tiny town in Idaho, that would be an awesome option. Or if you plan on employing physician assistants in a private practice and then run or consult for a dentistry office, that could be a very lucrative option. Again, difficult to do both.

There are a ton of mixed residencies out there. Medicine/Pediatrics is very popular, so is Medicine/Anesthesia. In the end though, if you look at most of those physicians, most of them are primarily only practicing one specialty. The exception is rural practice or those in the mission field. :)

That degree is specifically meant for people who want to become maxillofacial surgeons. It's a unique specialty in dentistry where you also require an MD/DO degree in order to perform your full range of functions.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep MADD's got it right. What is your speciality and might there be room for an advantage in having dual degrees?

You mentioned a reference to the advantage you might gain in a business sense. Are you referring to the possibility of having your own practice? Just like anything else, if you're in it for the money then... well u know.

If you are merely looking for an edge, perhaps consider their infinitely more applicable nutrition program.

Indirectly fix their teeth by cutting down all the fun dip your patients are eating

Reactions: 1 user
That degree is specifically meant for people who want to become maxillofacial surgeons. It's a unique specialty in dentistry where you also require an MD/DO degree in order to perform your full range of functions.
How does this degree make becoming a maxillofacial surgeon any more straightforward, though? A student, whether he/she obtains a DMD degree or a DMD/DO dual degree would still have to go on and complete an OMFS residency.

People who complete OMFS residencies are dental school graduates who are given an MD after their residency is completed. Graduating with a DO/DMD dual degree only makes sense if one were to complete a primary care related medical residency, and then practice as a primary care physician and general dentist (which does not require a dental residency).

Not true. Not all OMF surgeons have the MD and you don't need it to have your full range of function. This wouldn't make sense as you would have to still go to a OMFS residency anyway. I agree with the above, this path only makes sense if you are looking to be a rural doc that could also be the town dentist.

Reactions: 1 users
Not true. Not all OMF surgeons have the MD and you don't need it to have your full range of function. This wouldn't make sense as you would have to still go to a OMFS residency anyway. I agree with the above, this path only makes sense if you are looking to be a rural doc that could also be the town dentist.
Yep. I love it when people (i.e. @MADD!!! above) make such definitive/confident statements when they are entirely incorrect.