Do + Dmd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oral09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I saw on Nova website that they have special program for DO + DMD for 6 years. I am not really sure what they do after that program though. Can someone tell me more info about this? And how about other schools, do they offer this too or some kinds of programs like this.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I saw on Nova website that they have special program for DO + DMD for 6 years. I am not really sure what they do after that program though. Can someone tell me more info about this? And how about other schools, do they offer this too or some kinds of programs like this.

Thank you

Case offers an MD/DMD in 5 years and then you have to do a 1 yr internship or something to get your Med. license. I don't see the point of it, personally. Either you want to be an MD or you want to be a DDS/DMD. Then again, if you go through a DDS program at any school, many programs now have an OMFS 6 yr program after that offers you an MD as well. Those programs are VERY competitive though (top 10% of your class and boards). Especially with how difficult dental school has gotten as far as acceptance in the past 3 yrs. I wouldn't use dentistry as a back door into medicine. DO programs are often easier than DDS programs to get into.

I don't have any specifics on the programs, but I don't think a medical degree will benefit you much in a dental practice, nor will a dental degree benefit a medical practice. The only way that I can see it making a difference is if you want to do hospital dentistry or OMFS. That way you can do physical exams for your patients yourself and admit them to the hospital, rather than having to contract a physician to do your exams/admitting for you (dentists can't admit patients to hospitals). You can also plan truly comprehensive care in that case, being both the dentist and physician. Only if you plan on one of those options, or if you plan to have a large patient base of medically compromised individuals (i.e. High number of patients with AIDS, severely underserved community, or a geriatric demographic), could I imagine it being useful. Other than that, it would be 100% for an ego trip. And judging by the reasons many people choose dentistry over medicine in the first place, I'm not sure that having your schedule determined by a hospital and being on call would sit well with most of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ego booster is exactly it.

I don't have any specifics on the programs, but I don't think a medical degree will benefit you much in a dental practice, nor will a dental degree benefit a medical practice. The only way that I can see it making a difference is if you want to do hospital dentistry or OMFS. That way you can do physical exams for your patients yourself and admit them to the hospital, rather than having to contract a physician to do your exams/admitting for you (dentists can't admit patients to hospitals). You can also plan truly comprehensive care in that case, being both the dentist and physician. Only if you plan on one of those options, or if you plan to have a large patient base of medically compromised individuals (i.e. High number of patients with AIDS, severely underserved community, or a geriatric demographic), could I imagine it being useful. Other than that, it would be 100% for an ego trip. And judging by the reasons many people choose dentistry over medicine in the first place, I'm not sure that having your schedule determined by a hospital and being on call would sit well with most of us.

I have heard of one person doing the DDS/MD thing in a rural area that apparently had few MDs and/or DDS's... I really don't know if that is true. Could just be a rumor. Seems as though that would be HARD and time consuming.

Hi
I was wondering if you could post the link I'd like to read more about this dual program I wasn't able to find it on the site..
Thanks

They are not similar. One is asking what are the benefits of being an MD OR DDS/DMD. And the other, they saw the option for a combined degree on Nova's supp application. (DAT RC practice here, buddy).

you need a md to gain hospital privileges to use the OR for surgery

I am vermont too! I think we are the only two people in the state that want to go to dental school!