Do DO schools care about research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woodhorse22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do DO schools give research experience any weight?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on which DO school you're talking about. some seem open to research, and others seem to regard research as poison to the soul of Andrew Taylor Still...

my advice is, use the research to make a point (that you can think analytically, etc.) and leave it at that.

you might also take into consideration which school you're talking to. research the school beforehand and try to get a sense for their thoughts on research.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would say that most medical schools (if not all of them) think favorably about research. After all, the advancement of medicine (allopathic or osteopathic) is dependent upon research. Also, I think they like not only hardcore science research, but social science research as well. Good luck.

Honestly, it's hard to say...

I got into two of the best DO schools without research (PCOM & CCOM).

That said, I have a bunch of clinical experience... in group practices and in hospitals --

My personal opinion on the *general* hierarchy of emphasis would be placed in the following order:

1. science GPA
2. cumulative GPA
3. MCAT
4. Letters of Recommendation
5. Clinical experience
6a. Research
6b. Teaching (MCAT prep, intro courses, etc)
7a. Other extracurriculars (sports, etc)
7b. non-medical community involvement

With few exceptions, there are a large quantity of things that are higher up on their priority list than research... so if you want to do or have done research, that is a great addition to an already-strong application. Preference would probably be given to being credited on a published, peer-reviewed paper... the larger the role, the better.

There is no doubt in my mind that MCAT, GPA, and LORs are chief concerns of admissions committees...

Please remember that I am not on an adcomm though...

Yes, I think so. However how much weight it is given probably depend on the school. Some will appreciate it more than others, but I think if it is a solid and meaningful experience, and you present it well, it can only benefit you.

I believe that research is wighed like any EC. I think it could only help you as long as you can discuss it intelligently. Also, there are not many DO's who do research. If you would like to do it in the future, you should mention that. It can only help you get in. I was also asked many questions about it on my interviews. I would say if you have the oppertunity grab it.

Some schools care more than others. Those that are trying to be more like MD schools or that seriously conduct research at the school will care. I did lots of research in undergrad and was a primary author in a publication; I was never even asked about it in my interviews.

research is huge for any med school. consider it an EC and then some. at all of my interviews I was asked in depth about my research, and its a huge pro on your application.

When I was interviewing I actually had an interviewer that did research at my undergraduate school. I believe it was a nice topic to talk about during my interview and it definitely helped lessen the tension. I was accepted to this school about 3 weeks later. I think in today's society research is must and most schools either encourage it or are neutral to it (I might be wrong but I doubt any schools discourage applicants to conduct research).

I think research is definitely a plus but it's tertiary on any application. MD or DO school. No one will care about your research if you don't make the school's minimum GPA/MCAT requirements. From my experiences a few years ago. It went like this. GPA/MCAT.........................................then EC and Research. Anything cool to put on your resume is good...Like if you played a varsity sport or rescued starving children with kwashiorkor. But don't forget it goes GPA/MCAT.....................................everything else. Application will be in trash if you don't have the first two.

Research is a plus, in my book. It adds depth to your application by demonstrating an ability to apply your basic science knowledge to some sort of palpable problem.
In my case, I was big into research in UG and even did a post-grad certificate program in experimental pathology research. At the same time, I was shadowing and volunteering in hospitals. What this all demonstrates is a continually tested interest in medicine. When an interviewer brings up your motivation for clinical medicine instead of medical research or some other medically related field, you'll be able to relay that you've been involved in research, clinical medicine, pre-hospital medicine (EMS), etc... and found that clinical medicine was the most fulfilling to you, whatever your motivation may be.