Do gap year activities matter much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clocks123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the med school app is already submitted before or in the beginning of a gap year, do you list a gap year activity on the app? How do you let schools know what you have accomplished in that year?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of schools ask you what you're planning on doing in the upcoming year in their secondaries. I assume this could come up during interviews as well. Playing Xbox all day waiting to see if you get interviews probably isn't a good idea.

Reactions: 1 user
How do you let schools know what you have accomplished in that year?

A lot of schools ask you what you're planning on doing in the upcoming year in their secondaries. I assume this could come up during interviews as well. Playing Xbox all day waiting to see if you get interviews probably isn't a good idea.

Additionally, update letters detailing productive gap year activities/experiences are always a plus.

Members don't see this ad :)
The IMDB Top 250 matters.

Reactions: 2 users
Additionally, update letters detailing productive gap year activities/experiences are always a plus.
When would you say is an appropriate time to send such a letter in?

When would you say is an appropriate time to send such a letter in?

That's a school-specific question, you have to find out how much each school wants to know and when.

If you're not admitted this year, that gap year could make all the difference in the world. On the other hand, the Paul Blart Mall Cop series is second to none. Should probably go watch it right now.

Word are easy, doing is hard, so yes, for those schools that welcome updates, it's important to update.

But I'm always more impressed seeing what you've done, not what you say you're going to do.

Since the med school app is already submitted before or in the beginning of a gap year, do you list a gap year activity on the app? How do you let schools know what you have accomplished in that year?