Jan 28, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Since the med school app is already submitted before or in the beginning of a gap year, do you list a gap year activity on the app? How do you let schools know what you have accomplished in that year?

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
A lot of schools ask you what you're planning on doing in the upcoming year in their secondaries. I assume this could come up during interviews as well. Playing Xbox all day waiting to see if you get interviews probably isn't a good idea.

Reactions: md-2020

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
How do you let schools know what you have accomplished in that year?
A lot of schools ask you what you're planning on doing in the upcoming year in their secondaries. I assume this could come up during interviews as well. Playing Xbox all day waiting to see if you get interviews probably isn't a good idea.
Additionally, update letters detailing productive gap year activities/experiences are always a plus.

GiveMeThatMD

Consider this thread DERAILED.
2+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
If you're not admitted this year, that gap year could make all the difference in the world. On the other hand, the Paul Blart Mall Cop series is second to none. Should probably go watch it right now.

Reactions: DokterMom

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Word are easy, doing is hard, so yes, for those schools that welcome updates, it's important to update.

But I'm always more impressed seeing what you've done, not what you say you're going to do.

Since the med school app is already submitted before or in the beginning of a gap year, do you list a gap year activity on the app? How do you let schools know what you have accomplished in that year?

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Word are easy, doing is hard, so yes, for those schools that welcome updates, it's important to update.

But I'm always more impressed seeing what you've done, not what you say you're going to do.
Dont update a new opportunity but an actual achievement.

Not a new involvement with a organization but being named to supervisory or team lead (eg named crew chief on campus ambulance corps)
Not a new lab position but a paper recently accepted for publication or invitation to present at conference.
Being awarded an honor or grant, especially if highly selective or competitive.
If you had taken 2 or more worthwhile courses over the summer that would be "impressive" (eg received As in Genetics and Biochem).
If you had 2 or 3 "typical" events that to happened together (eg became a TA for Organic and started a new research lab).

Reactions: StarFall

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
What about updating because you got a new job, so you had to drop some of your planned activities listed on AMCAS? Should I just update them during interviews?
They really dont care; just note it at interview if it comes up

Reactions: brochacho123