Do Gerontology courses count towards science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
U

USC_hopefulMD

Hey guys,

I did a search and couldn't find anything on gerontology classes counting or not counting towards science GPA. Perhaps someone can elucidate a clear cut answer on this. Many of the gero classes I have taken utilize quite a bit of biology. One gero class was all about pathology and genetics in late age. I feel it should definately count towards science gpa, but the AAMC may feel other wise. Especially because nutrition and agriculture are considered science classes. Thanks!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

elucidate....nice you're a true Bio geek :D

I don't know my school only had Gerentology for masters and PhD's (my dad was a prof), and it seems like a mix of stats/bio to me... i would say yes

USC_hopefulMD said:
Hey guys,

I did a search and couldn't find anything on gerontology classes counting or not counting towards science GPA. Perhaps someone can elucidate a clear cut answer on this. Many of the gero classes I have taken utilize quite a bit of biology. One gero class was all about pathology and genetics in late age. I feel it should definately count towards science gpa, but the AAMC may feel other wise. Especially because nutrition and agriculture are considered science classes. Thanks!!!!!
I highly doubt it. Most of my public health classes, while obvioulsy related to science, were considered something like "health sciences" or something. If you have to ask, most likely it isnt BCMP

Members don't see this ad :)
What department were they taught by? If Biology, Chemistry (or Biochemistry,) Physics, or Math, they are BCPM. If not, then they are not.

I think it has to.

If I were you I would add it and not sweat about it.

It sounds like an -ology and I doubt they'll harp on it.

-PhDtoDO

Gerontology is it's own department here at USC. Gerontology seems to fit well with the "other science" classes that make up the science GPA. Some of those "other science" categories you wouldn't expect to count.

They do not count towards science GPA, At least last year they did not. I was a Gerontology Minor. They counted as social sciences.

USC_hopefulMD said:
Gerontology is it's own department here at USC. Gerontology seems to fit well with the "other science" classes that make up the science GPA. Some of those "other science" categories you wouldn't expect to count.
Go up in hierarchy. What college is the Gerontology Department a part of? Is it a part of the College that includes all the other sciences? This works for things like Astronomy too, which usually has its own department, but it is a part of the College of Natural Sciences and AMCAS explicitly says to count as BCPM.

My "cousin-in-law" was a gerontology major (or minor, I forget) but she was part of the Humanities college, leading me to believe that gerontolology would not be counted as part of BCPM. Whether you could get away with it or not is, of course, another story.

At USC, Geronotology is it's own college: Leonard Davis School of Gerontology. It's not part of CLAS or anything. Some of the classes are pretty bio heavy while some are not. For example I have taken a class called Psychology of Adult Development which I am sure would not count towards the science GPA, but I have also taken classes such as Neuroaffective Disorders of Aging and Health Issues in Aging, which integrate alot of bio. So.......i dunnoooo :confused:

USC_hopefulMD said:
At USC, Geronotology is it's own college: Leonard Davis School of Gerontology. It's not part of CLAS or anything. Some of the classes are pretty bio heavy while some are not. For example I have taken a class called Psychology of Adult Development which I am sure would not count towards the science GPA, but I have also taken classes such as Neuroaffective Disorders of Aging and Health Issues in Aging, which integrate alot of bio. So.......i dunnoooo :confused:
That's pretty funny. I would suggest just sucking it up and calling AMCAS then, although 1swtWrld probably knew from experience that they were not.

jota_jota said:
That's pretty funny. I would suggest just sucking it up and calling AMCAS then, although 1swtWrld probably knew from experience that they were not.

Ya....Last year I tried entering some of mine such as biomedical aspects of aging as science classes but it would not let me.....It gets changed to a BESS classification (Behavioral and Social Sciences) because of the prefix (GEY at my school). And At my school Gerontology is also a huge department with its own school. It doesnt really matter what school it belongs to.