do girls flock to M.D.s?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

I don't want to appear condescending towards women, but, this seems to be the impression a lot of other men are having. Any opinions you want to share? I've flaunted that i'm going to med. school, and there are no girls flocking to me. soo...

Members don't see this ad.

I sure hope girls flock to MDs. Otherwise I've definitely not sure if I want to continue pursuing medicine.. except to help people and crap like that :)

Kidding :)

Honestly, some of the girls that flock to MDs you might not want to be associated with. My current girlfriend now I started dating before telling her my major (well, I told her my major, but not that I was pre-med). Even in med school if I meet a person I'm interested in, I definitely don't plan to use that as a selling point. In truth, the girls you want to date will flock to nice guys in any major. Hope that helps :)

-Entol

It takes more than just "going to be a doctor" or "being a doctor" to get a good woman. It's a mix of your goals, accomplishments, personality, looks, spontaneity (sp?), .....

Members don't see this ad :)
No. Girls flock to DOs.

Being a medical student means you are a hard worker, and you are smart. It also means you have a bright future. However, you will have a crazy workload (80H+/w) and you live on a student's income for many years. It's hard to find a girl that wants to deal with that sort of commitment. Sometimes you can't even take weekends off. That shocks and scares people. By the time you start practicing, earning a decent income, and hopefully a having better schedule you are in your mid 30s. The average girl you meet at a club probably won't be too excited for those reasons. Unless she thinks you can start working as a doctor as soon as you graduate. But it's really 6 more years as a resident (10 years total). So the material rewards of medicine are very distant for immediate dating..

If you can find someone who tolerates your demanding life as a student, shes worth her weight in gold. Many of your friends in other fields will have 40 hour weeks and 35-40K+ jobs. (not bad hours). It's hard to compete with them as a student or resident working twice that with little income. Girls really want you to spend time with them. It can be difficult to do sometimes.

Originally posted by MedicationWorks
But it's really 6 more years as a resident (10 years total).

How do you figure 10 years? What residency is 6 years long?

You're right. But consider oncology, GI, neph, etc. It's 3 years in IM, and then a 3 year fellowship. Fellows have the same income/hours as residents. (so i just lopped it together).

Being in med school etc, helps. Its just not all it's cracked up to be. ;)

do girls flock to MDs?

not if the MD is a loser. plain and simple. if you have no personality and arent even slightly somewhat of a looker then no girls will be flocking towards you.

you think in this day and age women are looking out just to find docs to be with and marry even if you do absolutely nothing for them emotionally or physically? no.

theres a reason no one is flocking to you. "flaunting" that you go to med school? most girls would say who the hell cares...or oh thats nice...aka indifference.

you are the one that broke up with your girl, not the other way around. why would you even be interested in finding another girl? just to have same problems and issues again?

Originally posted by Chankovsky
I don't want to appear condescending towards women, but, this seems to be the impression a lot of other men are having. Any opinions you want to share? I've flaunted that i'm going to med. school, and there are no girls flocking to me. soo...

Not really... if an individual is undesirable (not you specifically), then they'll be undesirable as a physician. :(

Did you not watch the Average Joe???

My girlfriend didn't date me because of my area of concentration. She's not even in college, but she's going to start next year. We're very different, but that's good. It started off as a source of concern, but that was just bs insecurities. We're great together, best friends.

Truth is: I'm so different than any guy she's ever dated. I'm not big muscular Italian guy. I never go clubbing. I can't dance. I'm thin, tall, curly haired guy.

So, maybe some girls are drawn to docs, but some aren't. It's about who you are.

In fact, I truly think we're going to stay together, make it. I could see myself with her the rest of my life.

Originally posted by Chankovsky
They flock to doctors, not destitute med students.

basically, if you're getting laid now, you should have no problem getting laid as a doctor. However, if your not gettin any in undergrad, chances are going to med school is not gonna help all that much

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Slickness
No. Girls flock to DOs.

You realize that you are adding to the perception that DO's have a chip on their shoulder.:rolleyes:

how about guys flocking to girls M.D. !! :p

haha......actually i told this guy that I was on a date with (it was our 3rd date...I didnt even tell him early on) that I was attending med school in fall and he never called me again even though at that time we made plans to go several places and things looked good !! What's up with that!?? :rolleyes:

As soon as I said that he kinda freaked out and was like well I dont know what I am doing in life and I guess you are leaving town so... blah blah blah !!?? WTF!! :mad:

And I know that it could be other reasons that we didn't make it but everything seemed great at that time even though I had thought that perhaps we should discontinue it since I am leaving....I don't get it. What do you guys think?

oh yea and added to that my ex-boyfriend (this was during my sophomore and junior year when I was prepping to go to med school) he kept telling me "oh yea I think you should go to nursing !! Med school is not for everyone ....I think your personality matches a nurse better....blah blah.." I just dont get it!!?? And the funny thing is when I got in and I called him to tell him about it he was like "oh I knew you would get in. See I kept telling you how good you would be as a doctor. " Men are weird !! :rolleyes:

Yes, women flock to MDs. Anyone who tells you different is just wrong or naive or maybe doesn't want to believe it themself. It is true, regardless. Do ALL women flock to MDs? No. But people are kidding themselves if they think an MD will have any trouble getting a date/gf/golddigger.

Originally posted by uL007
and yes Chankovsky, you are condescending towards women and so is spidey.

I am merely stating the truth. If you don't realize it is true you are obviously very naive. The type of girls who flock to MDs just because they are doctors are exactly the type of women I want to avoid actually.

Women are drawn to money/power the same way men are drawn to women because of their looks. Both reasons are equally shallow, but if I told you men didn't flock to hot women I would be acting just as naive as you are when you refuse to admit women flock to MDs.

Originally posted by Disenchanted 1
oh yea and added to that my ex-boyfriend (this was during my sophomore and junior year when I was prepping to go to med school) he kept telling me "oh yea I think you should go to nursing !! Med school is not for everyone ....I think your personality matches a nurse better....blah blah.." I just dont get it!!?? And the funny thing is when I got in and I called him to tell him about it he was like "oh I knew you would get in. See I kept telling you how good you would be as a doctor. " Men are weird !! :rolleyes:

I knew we were so weird. Yeah your ex-bf is the ultimate paradigm :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

In a wonderful paradox, as a doctor you don't want the type of women who are attracted to doctors just for the sake of being with (or married to) a doctor (and I have no doubt they do exist-- I see the beginnings of plenty of them at my school). If you have a hard time figuring out why many women would find doctors more attractice than other men, check out the Ladder Theory. But for the sake of having a happy relationship, you should be under the impression that a girl is interested in you for that 10% that is given over to "things that women say they care about but don't".

For the record, I think the ladder theory is a bunch of BS in case someone takes my post as supporting it. Sure, it might be true for some women, but I have met many who would not fit into that ridiculous ladder crap. Obviously written by a bitter guy after a girl told him she didnt want to date him, claiming she just liked him as a friend. The real reason she didn't want to date him was probably that he had bad breath or was rude/obnoxious or any number of actual reasons. Saying "I just want to be friends" is merely a code women use when they don't want to tell a guy the real reason they don't want to date him, so they don't have to hurt his feelings so much.

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
How do you figure 10 years? What residency is 6 years long?

Some of the surgical residencies/fellowships can take up to 10 years PLUS the 4 years of medical school. 3-5 years of surgery residency followed by up to 4 years of fellowships (neurosurgery is like this for one).

I thought neuro surgery was one year of sugery internship followed by 4 or 5 years of neuro surgery residency? that would make around 5-6 years. Am i wrong about this one?

Originally posted by uL007
not all MD's are the entire package!

No kidding... did you read my entire post, or did u stop reading when I said MDs have no trouble getting dates? Maybe you started seeing red at that point and quickly hit the reply button so you could disagree with me?

WOW! You can cite ONE example of a girl who is not interested in a guy simply because he has an MD. Guess what, I'm sure there are many many women who would not be influenced much at all by a MD. BUT there are a lot more who would be. It is clear you don't want to believe this, but it is true just the same.

You can try to paint me as a sexist all you want, I don't really care. Those that know me, know I'm far from that. But I am willing to state things that are obviously true without fearing some feminist who believes everything anyone says in life should be completely totally politically correct and bland. You go girl.

I think the MD makes the guy *more* attractive to *certain* types of girls...but let's not paint everyone with a broad brush here.

Some girls will see an MD and think the guy is instantly desirable regardless of other factors, while other girls would consider the MD to be a tipping point, while yet others will ignore the MD all together (especially if the guy's a prick!).

So, does an MD *help* you to get girls? Yes. There are plenty of girls out there that consider a man's ability to provide paramount in potential mates.....but that's not true for all girls, and if the MD have no other redeeming features, the number of girls flocking to him solely for the degree will be small.

Just get some of that Axe bodyspray...it seems to work well for the guys in the commercials.

Originally posted by El Macho
Just get some of that Axe bodyspray...it seems to work well for the guys in the commercials.

i've always wanted to extract the pheremone secreting cells in my body, get the mRNAs for pheremones out of there, use reverse transcriptase, splice that DNA into an E. Coli genome, make billions of pheremone-secreting cells, put the pheremones in a spray, and go for a night out on the town. :D

in all seriousness, i've never had a girlfriend and no girls seem to be interested in me. i'm reasonably attractive, i'm athletic, i have a good personality... this MD better carry through for me. i really hope i'm not single for the rest of my life. :(

Well I'd say the best approach is try and be as social and interested with as many people (male and female) as you can. Try and find people with your interests. Make friends, and then you can be introduced, and take it from there.

Eminem has quite an astute take on the whole thing, I think.

"I do know one thing, though: biches -- they come, they go..."

My advice is to find a nice non-western chick, the ones without huge chips on their shoulders and egos bigger than their pathetic bony bodies.

do girls flock to MD's?

only if youre a gynocologist

the original Poke-mon.

(get it? Pokey-man? :laugh: )

Originally posted by Goober
You realize that you are adding to the perception that DO's have a chip on their shoulder.:rolleyes:
It's called sarcasm. :rolleyes:

please tell me someone didnt just mention the ladder theory on sdn!

Originally posted by Childe
please tell me someone didnt just mention the ladder theory on sdn!

its been full blown at the lounge in sdn. ;)

Originally posted by fullefect1
I thought neuro surgery was one year of sugery internship followed by 4 or 5 years of neuro surgery residency? that would make around 5-6 years. Am i wrong about this one?

If you get Neurosurgery straight out of medical school, then the residency is 6 years. However, it's very competitive to get it straight out of med school. Most residency programs have hundreds of students applying for 1 or 2 spots. The other route would entail doing 5 years of general surgery followed by neurosurgery, which would take a total of 7-12 years depending on fellowship/residency program.

Lastly, everybody lighten up about this stuff. Sure there are generalizations about if women find M.D.s attractive etc., but ultimately it will come down to individual circumstances, which inevitably result in exceptions to general trends.

women flock to money in many cases. sometimes its the combo of money, intelligence (so the kids will also be supposedly), wit, slickness, hard work, etc that attracts wom to drs and most likely not looks. these are my opinions. thoughts?

Originally posted by trojan2004
sometimes its the combo of money, intelligence (so the kids will also be supposedly), wit, slickness, hard work, etc that attracts wom to drs
Yes, slickness has a lot to do with it. :thumbup:

well, i'm not gonna lie... when a guy takes me out and spends a ****load of money on me i kind of like it. but that's just for a first date. after that he better have an awesome personality or it doesn't matter at all.

i am a fan of m.d.'s, though. but my main reason is that i like ambitious people, not because of money or power. in fact, i would kind of like to be the one with the better job, making more money and having a "better" job. the reason i like m.d.'s is kind of cause i want someone i have stuff in common with. just about everyone i've gone on a date with in the last year is in med school, law school, grad school, dentistry school, or going to be in one of these at some point. it's not like a guy has to have an m.d. or something, but it just gives you one more thing to have in common with him.

of course, lately i've had this thing for artsy guys... more of a complementing thing instead i guess. but this is probably just a phase cause i normally go for the annoying overambitious pre-med types.

but yeah, i think girls like ambitious guys, and if you're getting or already have an m.d. you gotta be pretty damn ambitious.

one problem with the m.d. is that she knows she's never going to see you. and girls can be really needy and feel like they want their guy around all the time. but other than that, i can't see why a girl wouldn't want to date/marry a doctor.

Originally posted by LauraMac
one problem with the m.d. is that she knows she's never going to see you. and girls can be really needy and feel like they want their guy around all the time. but other than that, i can't see why a girl wouldn't want to date/marry a doctor.

Depends on the specialty! The average attending works 50-60 hours a week. Many specialties average 40-45 hours/week. ;)

Unless you are a student yourself, there is nothing real attractive about dating another student. We are poor, we are busy, we are stressed, and we just keep getting into more debt. Of course by the time we graduate we are old so we are screwed there too!

Originally posted by Cerberus
Unless you are a student yourself, there is nothing real attractive about dating another student. We are poor, we are busy, we are stressed, and we just keep getting into more debt. Of course by the time we graduate we are old so we are screwed there too!

Good point! ;)

A woman will wait at least 8 years to see any income reward, but must wait 18 years before the physician is debt free!

You better have a personality; otherwise, it's going to be a long miserable wait...

:laugh:

for some reason, the whole MD thing after a name turns me off.

Originally posted by Andrew_Doan
Darn it!@# I bet the PhD does more... eh?! ;)
ok, ok, MDs beat out the PhDs anyday :D

At a new years party, one of my friends told me, "Dude, you must be hookin' it up. You're a med student now."
My response: "Right......."
My friend then polled a female CPA who was there, and she gave an interesting response: "Yeah, if a guy was a med student or a doctor it would a be a big turn-on. It means he is smart, motivated, and compassionate."

While the last part may not be true for everyone, the first two probably are. Saying I'm both an engineer and a med student seems to impress people a lot more than just saying one or the other. That probably applies more to the more intellgient girls than the gold-digger-ish type.

Originally posted by SunnyS81
At a new years party, one of my friends told me, "Dude, you must be hookin' it up. You're a med student now."
My response: "Right......."
My friend then polled a female CPA who was there, and she gave an interesting response: "Yeah, if a guy was a med student or a doctor it would a be a big turn-on. It means he is smart, motivated, and compassionate."

While the last part may not be true for everyone, the first two probably are. Saying I'm both an engineer and a med student seems to impress people a lot more than just saying one or the other. That probably applies more to the more intellgient girls than the gold-digger-ish type.

Yeah, intelligent girls want intelligent guys. So if you like smart girls you should be all set!

I'm beginning to learn that the whole pre-med thing can get annoying. This sort of situation has happened a few times in class and social situations, both.

Someone asks me:

-so what have you been up to?

Then, impulsively, I'm inclined to tell them the truth, like:

-I was in Chicago yesterday, that was fun.

-Why?
-I had an interview.
-For what?
-For med school.

Then the other person blows it way out of proportion, my going to med school consumes any conversation, and I get remembered as "that pre-med student." I think the annoying factor comes in because most people at my school have much lower aspirations compared to me, so I feel somewhat ostracized.

Anyway, I think I'm just going to have to make an effort to keep my identity as a pre-med student on the dl from now on.
:cool:

It's probably an advantage to go to a school with a large premed population. Premeds seem to like med students more than the general population. I'm sure that has something to do with similar goals , interests etc. But some other factors might be in play as well.