Do I break up with her?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Felted

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have a question for the board about breaking up with my GF when I start school. What do you think.

Ok, so I am starting med school in the South next fall. My GF lives in NYC right now in a pretty high paying finance job. She will not be leaving this job for at least 18 months. Therefore, I would be long distance for at least 3 semesters of med school. I am working in DC now, and we have been long distance for about a year after graduation (2 years total). Things can be rocky, but overall good. What should I do? Here is some more information that can help:

Pluses--She is smart, very cute, very outgoing (a million friends) and loves sex, she makes enough $ to help support our relationship when I am broke in med school

Minuses--Long distances, she is moody, loves to spend hours on the phone (no time in school for), a little needy, she will probably expect me to propose to her before she moves down, expensive to maintain long distances, she loves David Yurman, not sure if I want this to be the last girl I hook up with.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

your attitude towards her is little ridiculous. break up with her for her own good so she can find someone who loves her for all that she is

Have a question for the board about breaking up with my GF when I start school. What do you think.

Ok, so I am starting med school in the South next fall. My GF lives in NYC right now in a pretty high paying finance job. She will not be leaving this job for at least 18 months. Therefore, I would be long distance for at least 3 semesters of med school. I am working in DC now, and we have been long distance for about a year after graduation (2 years total). Things can be rocky, but overall good. What should I do? Here is some more information that can help:

Pluses--She is smart, very cute, very outgoing (a million friends) and loves sex, she makes enough $ to help support our relationship when I am broke in med school

Minuses--Long distances, she is moody, loves to spend hours on the phone (no time in school for), a little needy, she will probably expect me to propose to her before she moves down, expensive to maintain long distances, she loves David Yurman, not sure if I want this to be the last girl I hook up with.

Thoughts?

um wow, i would not want to be dating you. break up with her for her own sake

Members don't see this ad :)
you sound like you were meant for each other. skip med school and go live in her basement.

oh my goodness why have you been wasting this poor girl's time for 2 years? :scared:

Yeah the fact that you are questioning your relationship and even posting on this forum about it indicates to me you'd probably be better off separate.

your attitude towards her is little ridiculous. break up with her for her own good so she can find someone who loves her for all that she is

This

This

Next time you are together, leave this thread open where she can see it. Problem solved. :smuggrin:

This

Yeah the fact that you are questioning your relationship and even posting on this forum about it indicates to me you'd probably be better off separate.

and THIS!

Honestly, I don't think you deserve this girl. :thumbdown:

i can't stand threads like these. Honestly, your coming on to an internet forumn to discuss your relation****. Be a man, grow up and make your own decisions.

Thoughts?
Wow,

pluses - i can use a good looking girl for sex and money

minuses - she expects me to love her

you're a joke, please break up with her so she can find someone decent

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the encouraging remarks. I think this thread is full of idealistic, cliche-seeking women whose favorite things include The Notebook, long walks on the beach during sunset and dopio espressos outside a European cafe with wased-up authors. Oh, and a glass of Pinot Grigio by the fire.

I think these are pretty normal thoughts for 24 year old guys starting med school. Sorry for having doubts about long distance relationships.

and you are not in med school YET, so change ur status :smuggrin:

Next time you are together, leave this thread open where she can see it. Problem solved. :smuggrin:

oh my goodness why have you been wasting this poor girl's time for 2 years? :scared:

Wow,

These. Wowzer.

Thanks for all the encouraging remarks. I think this thread is full of idealistic, cliche-seeking women whose favorite things include The Notebook, long walks on the beach during sunset and dopio espressos outside a European cafe with wased-up authors. Oh, and a glass of Pinot Grigio by the fire.

I think these are pretty normal thoughts for 24 year old guys starting med school. Sorry for having doubts about long distance relationships.

No, I'm a GUY, but I know how to treat a girl. Idiot! You on the other hand.. Well let's just leave it at that.

Edit: I wish she'd see this thread and see the kind of person she wants to spend anymore time with. lol

FYI im a dude, your more of a woman for thinking the way you are and posting it on an internet forumn. "do I break up with her? oh but long distance relationships are hard..."

I'm a 25 yr old male starting med school. I've done the long distance relationship (Arizona-Minnesota) and we made it work (currently very happily married with 2 children). Your condescending remarks toward women and immaturity shows you're clearly not ready for this relationship so break up with her.

This person has all the marks of an increasingly sophisticated troll who has drifted through here before...

This person has all the marks of an increasingly sophisticated troll who has drifted through here before...

Haha, that's what I was thinking.

Fyi, I'm a guy, 21. OP, it sounds like you're straight up using this girl. Just break up with her. It's wrong.

This can't be serious?

Legitimate concerns about long distance relationships and relationships while in medical school with the most absurd considerations for a solution.

She should be the one breaking up with you.

Felched is OBVIOUSLY a troll.

10qjcqc.gif

Your condescending remarks toward women and immaturity shows you're clearly not ready for this relationship so break up with her.

+1 :thumbup:

FYI im a dude, your more of a woman for thinking the way you are and posting it on an internet forumn. "do I break up with her? oh but long distance relationships are hard..."

way to be stereotypical. ps. nothing is wrong with being a woman. it's not the put-down you're making it out to be.

And now it's time for "Really?!?! with Seth and Jerry."

:corny:

way to be stereotypical. ps. nothing is wrong with being a woman. it's not the put-down you're making it out to be.
I can see where I would possibly offend some woman so I take back my remark. I apologize if I offended you or any other women in this thread.

it was not meant to be that way

A bit harsh guys. OP is trying to decide if he's ready to settle down with this girl and since he's only 24 and about to be stuck in a hospital for the next 10 years he's trying to weigh his options. Obviously, he's not the most tactful person, but he probably does love her since they've been doing the long distance thing for quite some time. OP, no one can decide this for you. You need to talk to her about your concerns and see how shes feeling too because chances are shes having the same concerns and you both might agree to part ways.

I can see where I would possibly offend some woman so I take back my remark. I apologize if I offended you or any other women in this thread.

it was not meant to be that way

thank you for that.

not sure if I want this to be the last girl I hook up with

Seriously dude, if you think this now how are you going to feel when things are rough down the road and everything isn't so good. You better make sure she is the last one you want to hook up with or let her go. I don't see long distance happening with this attitude.

Wow,

:thumbup:

I am a guy, and it's people like you that give our gender a bad rap. Please break up, both of you will be happier for it. It's obvious it's not going to work out, especially if you have to do long distance.

Um, I'm a 23 year old guy who is about to go on a long distance relationship. And you seem like a total douchebag....do you even respect this girl?

I say you should break up with her... You clearly are looking to get laid more often and with a long distance that's just not doable.

It doesn't seem like you have the right attitude to make a long distance relationship (or any meaningful relationship for that matter) work out, so I'd end it. Listing only superficial things as her positives and pretty much her entire personality or any hope of a future as her negatives seems to mean you're not into her as a person.

Thoughts?
:thumbup:

Hilarious.

She's probably cheating on you already.

I'd hardly call "loves sex" a personal + for her. All women love sex. Probably more than most guys, they just have a bit more self-control.

Let me look up this David Yurman so I can see how bad of a situation this really is.

SDNers are a little too idealistic to be comfortable with honesty.

i had to look him up. he's a jewelry designer. what's wrong with the girl knowing what she likes? she has her own money, though, so she shouldn't expect her broke (ex?)-bf to buy it with med school loans.

:laugh::laugh: he sounds like very much self-absorbed. plus whats wrong with David Yurman, if she could pay for herself...

Last edited:
What's her number?

This thread made me lol. But seriously TC I think you should just break it off now. Im sure she'll have no problem finding someone else.

SDNers are a little too idealistic to be comfortable with honesty.

I wouldn't say this. I personally have a girlfriend I care far more about than her money and her sex drive (of which she has both). I think the majority of us here realize OP only cares about these two things. I don't think disapproving of that is "too idealistic." Just decent.

Glad some people without a stick up their ass decided to chime in...I have a couple of comments to the replies:

a) I am completely serious when asking this question.
b) I attempted to use some humor in my presentation, but I guess most of you take life way too seriously.
c) David Yurman is a reference to the amount of money I would need to spend at Christmas, valentines day, etc. Nothing in the store is cheaper than $400.
d) The dudes that respond so negatively in this thread--I know exactly who you are. You are the whipped guys that would ditch your frat brothers every night of the week to cuddle with your GF. If you did go out, you would call your GF every 25 minutes to update her where you were and how much you missed her. You would write her poems for fun and the only way you have sex is missionary.
e) To the girl that got offended by the guy that called me a *****--You are a joke. People like you (with your politically correctness sensitivities) are why terrorists are not pre-screened and able to board our flights and why waterboarding is now banned from interrogations. I really do feel bad for you and think you will be trampled on all over in your life if you don't toughen up a little bit.
f) My GF is cool as ****. I care a lot about her and do not use her. I am questioning whether to spend the rest of my life with her, that's all. For me, that is a scary thought. I am faithful when I date her.
g) Yes you can still love and respect someone while binging drinking your ass off, gambling on college football, and going to strip clubs. Raging when you are young and still can is harmless fun. I have never dated a girl that didn't let me rage.

Status
Not open for further replies.