Do I break up with her?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL LOL let's not sterotype here ^_^

You're 24. Your a man. Your in school. Like the lil wayne song goes....I wish I could f89k every girl in the world....do that. Shush up and focus on school.

You never loose women chasing money, you loose money chasing women...Their will be plenty of good girls for you when you're really ready to "settle down":eek: [i hate that phrase]

Take MY advice :D this girl doesn't seem like the love of your life anyway

Just have to say... your grammar/spelling kind of sucks. I know it's the title of a Shakira song but it's spelled "wolf" unless you're talking about the author. Since it's stuck as your username, you should play it off like it was intentional and say To the Lighthouse is your favorite book.

Members don't see this ad.

Been to Iraq twice so I feel pretty comfortable in my manhood. Presently engaged so I have been with a woman. So I guess I've passed the tests to respond to this thread.

"Frat boy" and "Rage" were all I needed. Tool! You need to reevaluate what you think a 'serious' relationship involves. Sex and money are great but that ain't life bro. Seriously man (used loosely) grow up. Or stay a boy and "slay" chicks. Wowzer!

you sound like you were meant for each other. skip med school and go live in her basement.

yourock.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you serious? Who the **** posts "should I break up with her or marry her" on an internet forum he's never posted on before? Why doesn't he ask his friends? Hell, why not start a poll while you're at it. :rolleyes:

There are only 3 possibilities
1. He's a troll
2. He doesn't act like this in real life and just can't write without sounding like a dbag (see number 1)
3. He actually does act like this in real life, in which case I'm guessing his girlfriend is also a dbag and so they're probably perfect for each other (hurray for gender equality :p )

Whichever of the 3 it is, it's still hilarious that people take his question seriously :laugh:

I <3 servers, and this thread does not deserve to get to 10+ pages.

Or he was looking for Pre-Meds/MS-I's to chime in that might be in a similar situation... hmmm... where would he maybe find those people... oh yeah SDN!

But you're right, anyone who ever went looking for someone to relate to or to hear someones honest input on something is obviously a troll.

right, i'm just saying that the media tends to have a very idealistic way of thinking about love (but not sex). I don't think its somehow a dichotomy between realizing certain truths (guys like sex and money), and being able to love a girl. (just because its something you like doesn't mean its everything)

Did you ever actually watch the movie? The primary theme was that men and women can never just be friends because they'll always end up wanting to bang each other. In the end, Harry and Sally...end up banging. It takes them a decade, but Harry is proven right in the convo the two have the day they first meet each other - that they won't ever just be friends.

Harry Burns: You realize of course that we could never be friends.
Sally Albright: Why not?
Harry Burns: What I'm saying is - and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form - is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way.
Sally Albright: That's not true. I have a number of men friends and there is no sex involved.
Harry Burns: No you don't.
Sally Albright: Yes I do.
Harry Burns: No you don't.
Sally Albright: Yes I do.
Harry Burns: You only think you do.
Sally Albright: You say I'm having sex with these men without my knowledge?
Harry Burns: No, what I'm saying is they all WANT to have sex with you.
Sally Albright: They do not.
Harry Burns: Do too.
Sally Albright: They do not.
Harry Burns: Do too.
Sally Albright: How do you know?
Harry Burns: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.
Sally Albright: So, you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive?
Harry Burns: No. You pretty much want to nail 'em too.
Sally Albright: What if THEY don't want to have sex with YOU?
Harry Burns: Doesn't matter because the sex thing is already out there so the friendship is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story.
Sally Albright: Well, I guess we're not going to be friends then.
Harry Burns: I guess not.

Did you ever actually watch the movie? The primary theme was that men and women can never just be friends because they'll always end up wanting to bang each other. In the end, Harry and Sally...end up banging. It takes them a decade, but in the end Harry is proven right.

Alot of people take away the theme that a guy can be nice and friendly to a girl and she'll end up changing her mind and banging him when she initially thought...no.

just want to see where ppl stand....

Are you serious? Get a life man. Everyone is so quick to judge the OP and make attacks on his character when he was just putting his situation out there because he thinks he might want to spend the rest of the life with his girlfriend, but he wants some reinforcement one way or the other, for whatever reason, and people just attack him. That's pathetic. Unless it's your sister he's dating what do you REALLY care about the way he treats his SO.
what character??

Alot of people take away the theme that a guy can be nice and friendly to a girl and she'll end up changing her mind and banging him when she initially thought...no.

just want to see where ppl stand....

I think it can work both ways, as in it could be the girl that is nice and friendly just waiting for the guy to want to make a move. One person in the friendship is just waiting for the other to notice them and want to bang.

Thanks for all the encouraging remarks. I think this thread is full of idealistic, cliche-seeking women whose favorite things include The Notebook, long walks on the beach during sunset and dopio espressos outside a European cafe with wased-up authors. Oh, and a glass of Pinot Grigio by the fire.

I think these are pretty normal thoughts for 24 year old guys starting med school. Sorry for having doubts about long distance relationships.

hey did you read my facebook profile or something? totally on target right there.

Couple more thoughts upon reflection:

a) Sex and money makes all guys happy. Period. In fact, I cannot think of 2 things that make me more happy. It seems like many of the guys on this thread enjoy such activities with their GFs such as talking into the night, watching the stars, hiking, cooking, and going down on her on top of a bed of rose petals. While I have done those things and they can be ok things to do, the 2 best are the aforementioned: sex and money.

b) Will this make me a bad doctor? No. I will still ball out as a surgeon. If a patient was dying or had a ctastrophic injury and came to me and he said "Cure me", and I said, I am the best surgeon in this hospital, but I like to slay chicks, I guarantee you he would be ok with that.

c) Apumic, please stop reading the literature cirriculum you got in high school and college--books such as The Awakening. Feminist novels are really clouding your judgment of practicality.

d) Again, just b/c I am a dude and like to rage does not mean I am incapable of a girlfriend. A lot of you may have been too busy studying or were in the pre-med sorority/honor societies to realize that people in their young 20's like to have fun and make bad decisions. Girls and guys. I don't want some girl that is going to be Mother Teresa. It would only depress me in school.

e) IDoItForLove and CaptainSSO. First of all, ironic screenname--your responses are very fitting. Second, lighten up a little bit. If you are offended that I said you like Pinot Grigio and moonlight beach walks, there is something seriously wrong with your childhood.

I would love to continue this debate. I am becoming closer to make a decision. Thanks for the input.

1) bahhhahaha best comment i've read on here in a long time.

2) what is "rage"? i assume it is some homoerotic activity but you don't strike me as the type to come out on a public forum seeing as you're a manly man.

and finally: yeah i'd break up with her. that is, if you will feel guilty banging all those MS1-4's you're going to get come* august.

*pun....intended.

Dude, I'm looking up synopses of When Harry met Sally right now and... back in the 80s, Meg Ryan was pretty hot! :eek:

From mackey:

I suggest you tell her that yes, she is being a terrible girlfriend and break down her self-esteem. After demolishing your poor significant other's self-worth, your guilt will lead you into a downward spiral of jealousy and paranoia. You won't let her out of your sight, nor will you be able to be around her. You'll begin drinking and arguing over her leaving the ironing board out. You'll fail out of medical school and spend time "flipping" houses which never sell in between your alcohol induced feuds. You'll whistle for a cab and when it comes near the license plate says fresh and it has dice in the mirror. If anything i can say this cab is rare but you thought naw forget it yo homes to Bel Air. You pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and yelled to the cabyo homes smell ya later. Looked at your kingdom, you was finally there to sit on your throne as the Prince of Bel Air.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me look up this David Yurman so I can see how bad of a situation this really is.

lmao.

Bad but could be much worse. If he had said Tiffany and co this would be a no brainer.

of which online forum mannerisms do you speak?

greeting a thread's readers saying "sup n-words"

blasting biggie on the freeway?

For some reason, I imagine a fairy-princess does not do these things.

greeting a thread's readers saying "sup n-words"

blasting biggie on the freeway?

For some reason, I imagine a fairy-princess does not do these things.

i hattteeeee youuuuuuuuuuu

when you meet me in person you will not guess it is me....my tiara will blind you with it's rubies and diamonds

also!!!! i told you guys, i listen to other stuff too...i listen to what would be defined as hippie music more than what would be defined as gangster music more than anything.

b) Will this make me a bad doctor? No. I will still ball out as a surgeon. If a patient was dying or had a ctastrophic injury and came to me and he said "Cure me", and I said, I am the best surgeon in this hospital, but I like to slay chicks, I guarantee you he would be ok with that.

Hahaha did you honestly just use the phrase "slay chicks?"

Felted, is this you?

nerd2.jpg

Please do not talk about raging and slaying. I have a little brother who likes to leave the house in the middle of the night "to take care of something," and I don't need any ideas.

Please do not talk about raging and slaying. I have a little brother who likes to leave the house in the middle of the night "to take care of something," and I don't need any ideas.

wtf? actually LEAVE the house? when it's dark out? maybe i do not actually know what you are referring to. it sounds like he's a halloween-michael-meyers wanna be or something.... :eek:

Hahaha did you honestly just use the phrase "slay chicks?"

Felted, is this you?

nerd2.jpg

Hey I think that's one of my former (psych) patients!!!!

I keed keed. OP does sound like a couple of my old S.O. pts, though. :scared:

MSB---Thanks for understanding. It is amazing to me how uptight people on here are. Couple more responses:

a) "Raging" is drinking heavily and acting otherwise out of control. Raging activities include playing 21 cup at 9 am for about 8 hours, bonging beers underwater, jamming out to Akon while you booze/tan on your roof with hot girls, going to sporting events 3 hours early so you can sit in the front row and taunt opposing players during warmups, using a limo as preferred way of traveling, having a dance party in a cab while you crush a case on the way to bars, football on the beach, I can go on and on. It is pretty much being awesome.

b) I want to know what kind of people you all are? I have a feeling you ahave been pretty lame in college and missed out on a lot. I hope you can make up for this at sometime in your life. Have any of you ever done anything you regretted? Being premed and having fun are not mutually exclusive.

c) This was actually a serious question but it has turned into a joke. Because none of you can even fathom this kind of behavoir, the concept that sex is awesome, or the concept of being unsure about asking a girl to move in with you to medical school--I am positive you cannot give any advice.

This is what every normal person goes through when it is about time to propose to his GF.

I have heard that med students are lame, and this forum seems to confirm it.

Have a question for the board about breaking up with my GF when I start school. What do you think.

Ok, so I am starting med school in the South next fall. My GF lives in NYC right now in a pretty high paying finance job. She will not be leaving this job for at least 18 months. Therefore, I would be long distance for at least 3 semesters of med school. I am working in DC now, and we have been long distance for about a year after graduation (2 years total). Things can be rocky, but overall good. What should I do? Here is some more information that can help:

Pluses--She is smart, very cute, very outgoing (a million friends) and loves sex, she makes enough $ to help support our relationship when I am broke in med school

Minuses--Long distances, she is moody, loves to spend hours on the phone (no time in school for), a little needy, she will probably expect me to propose to her before she moves down, expensive to maintain long distances, she loves David Yurman, not sure if I want this to be the last girl I hook up with.

Thoughts?

what was so horrible about this post?
I'm curious to see what all the backlash was about.

a) "Raging" is drinking heavily and acting otherwise out of control. Raging activities include playing 21 cup at 9 am for about 8 hours, bonging beers underwater, jamming out to Akon while you booze/tan on your roof with hot girls, going to sporting events 3 hours early so you can sit in the front row and taunt opposing players during warmups, using a limo as preferred way of traveling, having a dance party in a cab while you crush a case on the way to bars, football on the beach, I can go on and on. It is pretty much being awesome.

ok this just sounds wrong.

MSB---Thanks for understanding. It is amazing to me how uptight people on here are. Couple more responses:

b) I want to know what kind of people you all are? I have a feeling you ahave been pretty lame in college and missed out on a lot. I hope you can make up for this at sometime in your life. Have any of you ever done anything you regretted? Being premed and having fun are not mutually exclusive.

i do agree with this. some posters have been waay to ignorant

rofl.jpg

Sounds more like a night that keeps repeating and getting forgotten by morning. Glad you enjoy it, though. Somebody's gotta metabolize all that EtOH. Enjoy the tanning and boozing.

No, they definitely are not mutually exclusive. What even brought that to your mind. People differ on what they find "fun." I've always dislike nights like you described. They're sort of fun at the time but ultimately pretty meaningless. Many of us can simply have a lot more fun w/o needing to drink. (That's not to say I don't drink w/ friends and such -- I do quite often -- but people differ in what they find fun and many of us don't need booze to enjoy life.)
c) This was actually a serious question but it has turned into a joke. Because none of you can even fathom this kind of behavoir, the concept that sex is awesome, or the concept of being unsure about asking a girl to move in with you to medical school--I am positive you cannot give any advice.

This is what every normal person goes through when it is about time to propose to his GF.

well...if you're going to be around med students and medical personnel the rest of your life, you should probably learn to interact with them positively. If you hadn't come off as a d-bag at the beginning, you would probably have avoided this whole discussion. The truth is that in many cases, HCPs go out after work all the time just like any other professional, but you're probably not going to be "boozing and tanning on the roof with a bunch of hot women" post-college. Life after college is very different from college. You seem to assume we are all in college currently and still think like college students. Many of us are post-college and have seen the world after college. We've worked for awhile and have decided to go to med school after some time away from school. Those of us not in college have a different perspective on "fun" than when you might have.....

well...if you're going to be around med students and medical personnel the rest of your life, you should probably learn to interact with them positively. If you hadn't come off as a d-bag at the beginning, you would probably have avoided this whole discussion. The truth is that in many cases, HCPs go out after work all the time just like any other professional, but you're probably not going to be "boozing and tanning on the roof with a bunch of hot women" post-college. Life after college is very different from college. You seem to assume we are all in college currently and still think like college students. Many of us are post-college and have seen the world after college. We've worked for awhile and have decided to go to med school after some time away from school. Those of us not in college have a different perspective on "fun" than when you might have.....

Apumic, may I direct you to this thread? http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=702020

I'm going to guess you didn't like college that much, think medical school will be better. Then, when you get there, you will think that residency will be better...and so on and so on?

Just a thought,....

No, they definitely are not mutually exclusive. What even brought that to your mind. People differ on what they find "fun." I've always dislike nights like you described. They're sort of fun at the time but ultimately pretty meaningless. Many of us can simply have a lot more fun w/o needing to drink. (That's not to say I don't drink w/ friends and such -- I do quite often -- but people differ in what they find fun and many of us don't need booze to enjoy life.)

yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

seriously, though, while i do not disagree with you on some points, this sentence never goes over well with the OP's of the world. to them, it's like posting a big fat L on your forehead. (not that i would agree with that, just saying, your argument will not be heard by OP).

seriously, though, while i do not disagree with you on some points, this sentence never goes over well with the OP's of the world. to them, it's like posting a big fat L on your forehead. (not that i would agree with that, just saying, your argument will not be heard by OP).

If you're not having crazy sex with strangers, getting piss drunk and not remembering anything, etc of what the OP has stated then you are missing out on college end of story. College is about getting wasted and banging, not about learning or bettering yourself...

This thread is great.

If you're not having crazy sex with strangers, getting piss drunk and not remembering anything, etc of what the OP has stated then you are missing out on college end of story. College is about getting wasted and banging, not about learning or bettering yourself...

This thread is great.

totally

learning or bettering yourself...

through actually living and not just saying things from a movie. I think that's what the OP is getting at. Remember ppl, he has a gf who hes been committed to for 2 years (IRC)

If you have to ask if you should spend the rest of your life with her, the answer is no.

Umm I guess I'm in trouble then? Doesn't everyone have to face this question? I'm not even anywhere near considering this option though. I'm way too young (for my standards) to even fathom marriage. PASS.

Apumic, may I direct you to this thread? http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=702020

I'm going to guess you didn't like college that much, think medical school will be better. Then, when you get there, you will think that residency will be better...and so on and so on?

Just a thought,....

I don't agree with the OP there at all. It's very possible that person will, over time, mature into a great physician and add quite a bit to medicine. As long as those behaviors don't get in the way of pt care or hurt anyone, who cares what s/he is doing outside of work? The OP asked our opinions and has given his own. To discuss those opinions and provide the OP w/ our thoughts is the purpose of the thread.

As for college, I had a ton of fun. I enjoyed the whole thing. I partied. I went out. As a PB student, I am enjoying the college life a second time. I love it. I've also actually been out in the real world. I've enjoyed having an actual career as well (although not in the same way as college). I share from experience.

Honestly, I could care less what the OP thinks of me, lol. I get down w/ the best of 'em. I've been to the wild parties the OP describes and fit right in. I wouldn't go telling those people I'd rather be outside the club getting to know 1 woman instead or that I'd rather go bowling or whatnot, but we're on an anonymous forum, so why not be completely honest? The fact is that people differ and the OP (and people like him) will likely get along better with and build rapport more quickly with more seasoned HCPs if he doesn't look at the way some of them choose to enjoy themselves as "boring." At the same time, those of us who have chosen to not indulge ourselves as the OP has chosen have to be accepting of his decisions as well. It's a two-way street, really.

morning said:
Quit trying to justify yourself. If you don't give a sh** than stop giving a sh** so damn loudly.

:idea:

Honestly, I could care less what the OP thinks of me, lol. I get down w/ the best of 'em. I've been to the wild parties the OP describes and fit right in. I wouldn't go telling those people I'd rather be outside the club getting to know 1 woman instead or that I'd rather go bowling or whatnot, but we're on an anonymous forum, so why not be completely honest? The fact is that people differ and the OP (and people like him) will likely get along better with and build rapport more quickly with more seasoned HCPs if he doesn't look at the way some of them choose to enjoy themselves as "boring." At the same time, those of us who have chosen to not indulge ourselves as the OP has chosen have to be accepting of his decisions as well. It's a two-way street, really.

that's cool and all, i was just saying i didn't think the OP would hear you out if you present your argument like that.

This thread is great.

lol... I hope that was sarcasm, although I fear it's not. lol. that's an expensive 4 years forgotten....

We would have been good friends in college....

The thing is you are not proposing to your gf...If you were, this would be different story. If I were you, why don't you take a break from this girl. Get it all out of your system, and if she's still around get back together with her.....

Status
Not open for further replies.