Do I even have a chance next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrAnders

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I am a recent graduate with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology trying to get into a PT program in Texas. I have pretty low cgpa and pgpa, 3.26 and 3.10 respectively. My last 60 hours is about 3.1. I have C+s in both A&P 2 and physics 2. I am looking at applying to programs such as Incarnate Words, UNT, and St. Augustines, but I honestly feel like I shouldn't even apply.

My GRE is 152 V 158 Q and 3 AWA (retaking it in a week)

I have about 30 inpatient hours and about 100 outpatient hours in two different settings. I am currently working as a tech in one of the outpatient clinics.

I know my chances are very slim for this application round. With that said, I have plans to retake A&P and physics in the coming spring and other pre-reqs that I have received Bs in over may-mester and summer at CC . I also plan to continue my work as a tech and shadow at other clinics over the next year. I just want to know if I have any chance of getting into a PT school.

And advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Check the stats of the classes that were accepted, at the schools you are targeting. If you do not have a decent chance, I'd wait another year.

Like the above said, you can find GPA averages online and us those as your comparisons. Obviously, since most are averages, many applicants with lower GPAs get in. However, there are many with higher GPA's that don't get in. You're definitely on the right track. Retake those C's, do well on your GREs, and find more opportunities to get experience in different settings. Schools want to know that you're completely set on a PT career, that you've experienced as much as you can in the PT field (as a prePT), and that you're capable of handling their extensive curriculum. Definitely get some advice from the PT's you've worked with regarding your concerns, too. They are vastly knowledgeable, and will give you meaningful and honest advice. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a slim shot as best. If you have the money, apply this year for experience and to get feedback from schools (hopefully). If it's tight or if you don't have the time to write fantastic essays and such, then put it off a year and apply next round.

Retake your classes at community college. Then apply you can make it. Apply to a zillion schools though.

Hello SDN,

I am a recent graduate with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology trying to get into a PT program in Texas. I have pretty low cgpa and pgpa, 3.26 and 3.10 respectively. My last 60 hours is about 3.1. I have C+s in both A&P 2 and physics 2. I am looking at applying to programs such as Incarnate Words, UNT, and St. Augustines, but I honestly feel like I shouldn't even apply.

My GRE is 152 V 158 Q and 3 AWA (retaking it in a week)

I have about 30 inpatient hours and about 100 outpatient hours in two different settings. I am currently working as a tech in one of the outpatient clinics.

I know my chances are very slim for this application round. With that said, I have plans to retake A&P and physics in the coming spring and other pre-reqs that I have received Bs in over may-mester and summer at CC . I also plan to continue my work as a tech and shadow at other clinics over the next year. I just want to know if I have any chance of getting into a PT school.

And advice would be appreciated!

Hi there!

I just started my first year at UIW SofPT. I had similar stats to you when I applied. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me :)

Sent from my SM-T310 using SDN mobile

I got into my #1 school the second time around and my stats were so much lower than you. So you can definitely get into PT school the second time. Try visiting the school you want to meet some of the professors. Ask them how you can improve your application and make sure you make a great impression. That worked very well for me. Strong recommendations are also key, preferably pick someone that can speak to your character.

Definitely set your sights for next year. Take this year to focus on getting As on those prereq courses since that's where the bulk of your application improvement will stem from. When you reapply next year, be sure to emphasize this change in grades.