Do I even have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbeau06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here is some background info on me:

UG GPA overall: 3.3
UG Major GPA: 3.83

I have yet to take pre-med classes, but I have gotten As in A&P I and II and human biology, so I think I'll fair well in my science classes.

I am starting a second bachelors degree in nursing and will graduate in August 2009 from that, and plan to work as an RN while completing my med school prereqs.

My UG GPA is kinda weird...I graduated from college a year early. My first 3 semesters' GPA at Boston University was a 2.57. My last 3 semesters' GPA at University of Maine was a 3.79. I've taken 4 classes since graduating in 2006 for fun (US History, Human Bio, A&P I and II) and gotten As in all of them.

Also, for admissions essays...I have a good one that I've used and it has gotten me into every college/grad program I've applied to, so I am not worried there.

My question is, with these preliminary stats, do I even stand a chance? I feel my undergrad really hurts me from my first degree, and while I expect to do great in my BSN program, I don't know what med schools will look at when they're evaluating me. I did have a rough time at BU before I got into the groove of college. Should I even bother going through with prereqs? Will a great MCAT score/prereq GPA offset this?

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you getting a nursing degree if you want to pursue medicine?
You could just work on the prereqs now and then apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want the clinical experience to make me a stronger candidate and the hospital will pay for my classes as an RN so I can take more classes per semester at less cost to me.

Get your backup degree while you complete the prereqs I think is a good idea.

I mean you have a shot but you are not a sure bet either.

Just do good on your MCAT and prereqs and go from there.

There are many battles before you can win the war.

I want the clinical experience to make me a stronger candidate and the hospital will pay for my classes as an RN so I can take more classes per semester at less cost to me.

I agree with the above post wondering why you are pursuing a BSN when medicine is what you want to do. You are still going to need to take organic, physics, etc. in addition to the nursing class, which are not going to be the easiest either. It seems like you will be doing a lot of unnecessary work and your best bet is to take your pre-reqs now and apply. If you want the clinical experience, why not become an ER tech, which takes a semester I believe, then you can work and take classes at the same time. Another why to cut down on expenses is to take classes at a community college, which is just fine. Again, the BSN route just seems odd if medicine is your true pursuit, although I do understand having your work pay for it and all. I would think about other options before jumping on that ship, IMO.

Ok, so here is some background info on me:

UG GPA overall: 3.3
UG Major GPA: 3.83

I have yet to take pre-med classes, but I have gotten As in A&P I and II and human biology, so I think I'll fair well in my science classes.

I am starting a second bachelors degree in nursing and will graduate in August 2009 from that, and plan to work as an RN while completing my med school prereqs.

My UG GPA is kinda weird...I graduated from college a year early. My first 3 semesters' GPA at Boston University was a 2.57. My last 3 semesters' GPA at University of Maine was a 3.79. I've taken 4 classes since graduating in 2006 for fun (US History, Human Bio, A&P I and II) and gotten As in all of them.

Also, for admissions essays...I have a good one that I've used and it has gotten me into every college/grad program I've applied to, so I am not worried there.

My question is, with these preliminary stats, do I even stand a chance? I feel my undergrad really hurts me from my first degree, and while I expect to do great in my BSN program, I don't know what med schools will look at when they're evaluating me. I did have a rough time at BU before I got into the groove of college. Should I even bother going through with prereqs? Will a great MCAT score/prereq GPA offset this?

Med schools will look at cumulative undergraduate GPA across all your schools, as well as your BCPM. Your GPA in your major is irrelevant. Any graduate GPA is irrelevant. Schools will expect you to have a competitive GPA and a competitive MCAT. You can't really offset one with the other, although the rumor mill on SDN likes to suggest otherwise. Schools get 10,000 applications these days and there are enough folks with both good GPA and MCAT that schools needn't play either or.

Numerically, your GPA is an okay starting point. I agree with the other posters that you probably don't want to do a nursing path if you know going in that your goal is to get to medicine. You are better off doing liberal arts and taking the prereqs and picking up more doctor oriented clinical exposure.

Agree with the above post.

I should point out that your personal statement shouldn't just be a rehash of whatever got you into undergrad/grad school. After all, it should be tailored towards why you want to be a physician - and that includes experiences that you've had during undergrad.