Do I finish the Georgetown Secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sartre79

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Debating this. 30 o MCAT (12,10,8) and a 3.82 gpa, 3.89 scigpa. Non-trad with mediocre to good LOR and ECs. The $130 is friggin steep, and from what I have read on SDN it might not be worth it. Any insight? Appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Sartre79 said:
Debating this. 30 o MCAT (12,10,8) and a 3.82 gpa, 3.89 scigpa. Non-trad with mediocre to good LOR and ECs. The $130 is friggin steep, and from what I have read on SDN it might not be worth it. Any insight? Appreciate it.

It is totally your call. If you aren't that interested in Georgetown or living in DC, then I'd skip it. But if you think you would like their program, want to go to a jesuit school, or really want to live in DC, then I'd pay the $130.
Just my opinion.

They matriculate students with a 3.6, 30--you are right on target. IF you would attend there, I say apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your numbers look good, so I would submit the secondary. :)

my numbers are below their avg.. but the reason i didn't submit it was becuase i cuoldn't think of a one page essay tellin em why they're so great. it reminded me of some stuck up kid sayin

"so.. tell me wat u think makes me awesome. oh yea then pay me"

i couldn't think of an entire page, which also made me realize.. hey. i don't actually care bout this school that much!
:D

For me, any school that would make you spend that much NEEDLESSLY isn't the kind of school I want to attend. To me that is a marker for how much they will financially bleed you while you are a matriculant. I mean look at UCinn, their secondary is $25! And yeah I couldn't figure out one whole page of why i wanted to go their either. I had really only applied cause it was close to home, I didn't really care about the name. But yeah, if you like them that much, go for it cause numbers wise you are on target.

I'm leaning toward not submitting. I'm having trouble with the essay as mentioned by other applicants, the $130 fee is really ridiculous, and the $60000/yr price tag is scaring me as well (I am paying on my first student loans...not fun). I would attend Georgetown if all else failed, though. They have a good reputation. I'm just trying to cast my net wide (22 schools) so I'm somewhat conflicted about it.

doctajay said:
For me, any school that would make you spend that much NEEDLESSLY isn't the kind of school I want to attend. To me that is a marker for how much they will financially bleed you while you are a matriculant. I mean look at UCinn, their secondary is $25! And yeah I couldn't figure out one whole page of why i wanted to go their either. I had really only applied cause it was close to home, I didn't really care about the name. But yeah, if you like them that much, go for it cause numbers wise you are on target.

So true, I had one DO secondary that was free and Univ. of Washington is $35. If 6000 people turn in secondaries, georgetown will make $780,000!! Seems like they could afford to lower tuition!

Sartre79 said:
I'm leaning toward not submitting. I'm having trouble with the essay as mentioned by other applicants, the $130 fee is really ridiculous, and the $60000/yr price tag is scaring me as well (I am paying on my first student loans...not fun). I would attend Georgetown if all else failed, though. They have a good reputation. I'm just trying to cast my net wide (22 schools) so I'm somewhat conflicted about it.

Where do you get 60k from? I thought it was 40k. I'm having trouble too with my essay. I know what to write, but how do you guys start this kind of essay. I just can't start with...I want to go to your school because..

americanangel said:
Where do you get 60k from? I thought it was 40k. I'm having trouble too with my essay. I know what to write, but how do you guys start this kind of essay. I just can't start with...I want to go to your school because..

I started with a quote about my topic.

EDIT: 60K is with living expenses.

DrVanNostran said:
I started with a quote about my topic.

EDIT: 60K is with living expenses.

Oh thanks for the idea! Oh wow, that is an expensive school!

americanangel said:

They budget ~$60000 when taking into account living expenses. Unless you're able to work while you go to school, you may have to take out loans to cover this cost as well. that's ~250000 after 4 years. That's a mortgage payment depending on where you live.

Sartre79 said:
They budget ~$60000 when taking into account living expenses. Unless you're able to work while you go to school, you may have to take out loans to cover this cost as well. that's ~250000 after 4 years. That's a mortgage payment depending on where you live.

Yeah, I didn't realize you were taking into account living expenses. Thanks!

georgetown is expensive and they may ask you to write about their school, but they offer such an incredible education and opportunities for med students that other schools dont compare to. living in dc is ideal for a medical student; youre in the nation's capital where you can help change healthcare legislation, youre near some of the poorest neighborhoods that need volunteers to run their clinics, youre close to the NIH so you can supplement your education with pertinent medical research and you have the opportunity to attend a prestigious university that really looks out for their students. you have the numbers, give it a try. what have you got to lose besides $130, and with all the other expenses going into being a doctor, this is just pocket change.

The Georgetown Secondary gave me a REALLY bad vibe and I'm seriously considering saving my money.

Sartre79 said:

femme said:
georgetown is expensive and they may ask you to write about their school, but they offer such an incredible education and opportunities for med students that other schools dont compare to. living in dc is ideal for a medical student; youre in the nation's capital where you can help change healthcare legislation, youre near some of the poorest neighborhoods that need volunteers to run their clinics, youre close to the NIH so you can supplement your education with pertinent medical research and you have the opportunity to attend a prestigious university that really looks out for their students. you have the numbers, give it a try. what have you got to lose besides $130, and with all the other expenses going into being a doctor, this is just pocket change.
Lol, near to poor neighborhoods? Nothing but senators kids live in Georgetown. You may have to travel a little farther to find some underserved areas.

doctajay said:
Lol, near to poor neighborhoods? Nothing but senators kids live in Georgetown. You may have to travel a little farther to find some underserved areas.

:laugh: ..... If you want to attend a med school in an underserved area of DC, apply to Howard.