Nov 22, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I graduated high school with my AA degree and I've always been planning on taking 3 years to graduate and get my Biochemistry BS and get bio, chem, and political science minors but with corona, I'm considering dropping my political science minor and any classes I don't need for graduation and finishing up in 2 and a summer. The difficulty of my summer won't change, but I'll be taking more difficult classes during the school year (but never over 16 credits, my current schedule is 12 or 13 credits a semester). This would make me push my MCAT to the summer after I graduate (as opposed to next spring) and give me 2 gap years to work or get a masters, but I'm skeptical if that is going to be the best plan. Although not a big concern, I am not on a large scholarship and if I were to work for 2 years, I would likely live at home.

The classes other than political science I would be cutting out are stats, cell bio, and psychology. I would eventually take stats after I graduate.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
1) Medical schools dont care about minors or majors
2) They care about having a high GPA. Taking heavy course load is risk to that
3) having committed and involved extra curriculars. Being at college only 2 years (with a heavy course load) doesnt leave alot of time for that
4) having sufficient clinical volunteering, community service and shadowing. Again little time
5) The majority of successful applicants have at least 1 gap year, in your plan you can invest time in #3 & #4
6) medical schools dont give alot of weight towards masters in terms of proving academic ability (ie GPA). Completing one does show an accomplishment but for the time, money and effort, not worth it solely for medical school admissions
7) Taking MCAT after you graduate is fine. Indeed, if you are taking two gap years I would plan the MCAT for when you are most prepared. You would be much better spending a little money on MCAT prep rather than a boatload of money on a masters.
8) there is no rush. No one will care you didnt apply until 3 years after graduating. No one will care you completed college in 2 or 3 years.
9) you need to figure out what we make you the strongest candidate, not the fastest

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads