Do I have a chance as a reapplicant??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DomFowler

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well my fellow reapps, I am a little worried and stressed out about my chances. Do you schools look down on reapplicants?

I am from Miami and my stats are as follows:

3.65 AO gpa
3.57 bcpm gpa

30 mcat

MSU CHM (complete 9/4)
Tulane (anticipating completion 10/6)
EVMS (anticipating completion 10/6)
UF COM (complete 9/6)
USF COM (complete 9/26)
Miami Miller school of medicine (both campuses) (complete 9/9)
UCF COM (complete 9/17)
FIU COM (complete 9/4)
FSU COM (complete 9/4)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any idea why you didn't get in last time?
Have you talked to any of the schools?

Your stats are decent, but why are you applying to so few schools?
As a reapplicant with average stats, you should be applying to 20-30 schools.

As for reapplicants, yes they do look down. The whole process is pretty subjective. As for your chances, I think you probably have as good a chance as I do since at least you are from FL.

Members don't see this ad :)
As for reapplicants, yes they do look down. The whole process is pretty subjective. As for your chances, I think you probably have as good a chance as I do since at least you are from FL.

That's not entirely true. Some schools will count it slightly against you if you are a re-applicant, but the important thing is that you have something to show for the intervening year. Do something great with that gap year, and I guarantee that schools aren't going to hold a re-app against you. (Check my mdapps. Last year = zero invites).

I applied to schools 3 X (2005, 2008,2009) now and I just got into Tulane for 2009 as an ED candidate.

That's not entirely true. Some schools will count it slightly against you if you are a re-applicant, but the important thing is that you have something to show for the intervening year. Do something great with that gap year, and I guarantee that schools aren't going to hold a re-app against you. (Check my mdapps. Last year = zero invites).

Looking down on reapplicants is not entirely true. It may be at a few schools, but this is not the case at most places I have applied. I have tried and failed before, but I have a lot of interviews this year.

I have actually been told at two interviews that my dedication to the process and my hard work at improving myself was impressive. I found out I got in non EDP at one of these schools about a week after my interview.

As long as you keep improving yourself you will be rewarded in the end.

Good luck:thumbup:

I am a medicine fellow who applied twice to med school.
I disagree that most schools look down on reapplicants. That was my fear several years ago when this happened to me, but I don't feel like any of the schools looked down on me. They know this happens quite commonly. I don't know what the acceptance rate is now for med school, but it used to be that <50% of people who applied got a spot anywhere, so the adcoms know there will be reapplicants.

I think your GPA is a little below average, but certainly not terrible, and your MCAT score is fine though not through the roof. It also looks like you have adequate volunteer experiences.

I think you need to now do the full-court press to try and get in this year. I think that you have a decent shot. Talk to the premed advisor at your undergrad school, if there is one, and see what he/she has to say. Can he/she recommend any other schools you should apply to (i.e. ones that have take a lot of people from your school in the past, etc.)?

I would be interested to know how many interviews you got last year, whether you got waitlisted anywhere, etc. Also I am curious about your letters of recommendation. If someone with decent stats isn't getting interviews, I always worry that maybe the LOR's aren't strong enough...

I also think you need to keep in mind that schools do "rolling admissions" so that people who apply the earliest have a better shot at getting in. Also, do NOT underestimate the influence it has if the admissions committees really think you want to go to THEIR school. Act enthusiastic at your interviews. I always felt like I was laying it on too thick when I did this, but it's necessary - I still have a hard time with this during interviews because I am a naturally reserved person, which some have interpreted as "uninterested" in the past when I've been in various situations.

Have you had the help of an English professor, premed advisor, multiple friends, etc. in reading your personal statement?

Finally, I agree 100% that you haven't applied to enough schools. Other applicants "spam" with 30-35 applications, so if you only do <10 or so, you are just decreasing your chances. It's kind of annoying, but I think you need to apply to 20 places minimum. Try out of state private schools like St Louis University, Chicago Medical School, etc. Look up the acceptance rates at various schools to see which ones you might have a shot at getting in to.

If all this stuff fails, and you have no spot by next summer, call all the places where you interviewed and ask them what to do to improve your application.

If you get 6-7 interviews the odds of getting in somewhere are in your favor. To do that you need to apply more places.

I applied to schools 3 X (2005, 2008,2009) now and I just got into Tulane for 2009 as an ED candidate.

I have actually been told at two interviews that my dedication to the process and my hard work at improving myself was impressive.

As long as you keep improving yourself you will be rewarded in the end.

:thumbup: I think this is only the case if you continue to improve on your application.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

i created this topic, but have not kept up with it, so sorry for that.

I have added two more schools, both of which I am complete at since 10/8 (UVM, Creighton).

I also got an interview invite yesterday from USF COM, so I'm pretty happy about that.

The schools I applied to last year told me that I had everything going for me except my clinical experience. Thus, I have added 600 hours of clinical experience in the past 1 year. It was real hands on stuff (dealing with patients, filling medical records, watching about 7-10 surgeries, assisting in performing physical examinations on patitents, and much more), which I have talked about in my applications, will also do the same during interviews.

I fill cautiously optimistic about my chances, because I know this process is so fragile that it can turn on a dime. Hoping for good things!!

-DOM

I am a 3 x applicant. I have 7 interviews this time (4 MD and 3 DO) as opposed to only 2 last time. YOu have a chance, but I would apply as broadly as possible :)

Best of luck!!!!!

Acceptance from USF!:)

This is very humbling. All I can say is something cliche, and that is that don't lose heart. There is hope for reapplicants!

-Dom

that is great domfowler
I believe we had several folks from there in my medicine residency, and I was impressed with their clinical skills. You might want to keep interviewing if you still have more interviews...if you get multiple acceptances, then go to the school you end up liking best, and/or the one with cheaper tuition.

The dean of admissions from the University of Arizona came to give a presentation advertising UofA's medical school, and stated that 1/3 of their class each year are re-applicants. So, it just depends on what school you are talking about.

Acceptance from USF!:)

This is very humbling. All I can say is something cliche, and that is that don't lose heart. There is hope for reapplicants!

-Dom

WOW! Congrats!!

And, I'd also like to personally thank you for coming back to this thread to tell us how it turned out for you. :)
All too often our members post threads and don't come back to tell us about their successes! CONGRATS!

WOW! Congrats!!

And, I'd also like to personally thank you for coming back to this thread to tell us how it turned out for you. :)
All too often our members post threads and don't come back to tell us about their successes! CONGRATS!

You're very welcome!

Its interesting really..After I got the acceptance, I didn't jump for joy, I didn't yell or scream, I didn't go out to celebrate, I didn't cry or anything. I just did a little fist pump and went out for a 5 mile jog. I think its probably because I know that I only won the battle, and the war is still to be fought.

-Dom

You're very welcome!

Its interesting really..After I got the acceptance, I didn't jump for joy, I didn't yell or scream, I didn't go out to celebrate, I didn't cry or anything. I just did a little fist pump and went out for a 5 mile jog. I think its probably because I know that I only won the battle, and the war is still to be fought.

-Dom

As a re-applicant, I can defiantly relate to your response! When I was accepted, I walked around with a smile all day and did a nice long mtn bike ride.

You're very welcome!

-Dom

I totally agree as well. When I got my acceptance, it wasn't an earth shattering experience...just deeply, deeply satisfying. Then I started to mentally prepare myself (excitedly!!) for the marathon that's about to begin.