rekesk

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
60
0
Status
Hey all - basically this is my situation. I'm finishing my MS and I've been debating over getting a job or going for more graduate school. Originally I thought I wanted to work in the lab - and now I'm not so certain about it anymore, so my motivation for a PhD in this field is really on the fence. I've actually considered other options, and I looked into optometry on a friend's suggestion and I now I'm actually considering shadowing and possibly applying for admission. The snag I have is this:

If in 9 months from now, when I'm on an interview, is it going to look werid to the admissions crew that my interest in optometry came towards the end of my education? I sense that I'm going to be look at as a dilettante rather than somebody with genuine interest? One thing worth noting is that I have to take a few classes (psychology, microbiology) in order to get admission to most schools, so I would have to do that AND prepare for the OAT.

So in addition to my concern above, I politely ask for wisdom from other posters on this board about my chances of getting admission.
 
Last edited:

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2002
3,767
5
In a dark room
Visit site
Status
Optometrist
rekesk said:
If in 9 months from now, when I'm on an interview, is it going to look werid to the admissions crew that my interest in optometry came towards the end of my education? I sense that I'm going to be look at as a dilettante rather than somebody with genuine interest?
As long as your interest is real, no one will question your motivation. Just make sure you are able to show that you've researched the profession well, and that you've shadowed a couple optometrists.


rekesk said:
One thing worth noting is that I have to take a few classes (psychology, microbiology) in order to get admission to most schools, so I would have to do that AND prepare for the OAT.
I think that's quite do-able -- assuming you won't be in a situation where you're taking 16 credits and working full-time.

Good luck! :luck:
 
OP
R

rekesk

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
60
0
Status
my extra cause for concern is due to 1) the limited amount of schools and 2) the selectivity of these schools. it seems that they are really picky about who they want to let in.
 

UABopt

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
136
0
Status
rekesk said:
my extra cause for concern is due to 1) the limited amount of schools and 2) the selectivity of these schools. it seems that they are really picky about who they want to let in.
I would say as long as your numbers are fine OAT and GPA, and you demonstrate a genuine interest in the profession you should be just fine. Certainly shadowing would be a necessity not just to show the schools that you are interested but also for your own personal benefit, to make sure for yourself that you are truly interested. The only bit of advice that I would give is to shadow in as many modes of practice as possible, a private setting, if available a tertiary care or surgical center, a peds intensive practice, and even a commercial setting. This will give you a good overall perspective on the profession as a whole. I think you should have as good a shot, and probably much better, than most people.