Do I have a chance in any pharmD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

game_stake108

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got rejected from 2 programs out of 10 because my GPA was filtered out for being really low. PharmCAS calculated it as 2.24 overall. I will be taking the PCAT in Jan.

I explained in all my applications that I have some extreme circumstances which contributed to my grades. I am not using those explanations as excuses because I am still working on those issues, but I tried to make it up by having a lot of leadership roles, getting a job, volunteering in a pharmacy for 3 years,work in a research lab for 3 years, got my tech license, and graduated with my BS. The people that wrote my LOR all know of my circumstances and have written beyond what I thought of myself. I don't want to sound arrogant or boastful but I believe I am a good candidate minus the grades.

My attitude when applying was if I don't try I'm going to regret this decision for the rest of my life, but I'm reaching out because I am trying to fight the feelings of discouragement. I appreciate all input and good luck to everyone in this cycle. thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Something you should have addressed in your letter of intent: what if something similar happens again. I don't the specific of your situation, but 2.24 is an extremely low GPA and it means this was an ongoing/longterm situation. What would you do differently to ensure you stayed in the pharmacy program and kept your grades relatively high?

I know some people that got in with low GPAs but with a high PCAT, so it just depends on that as well.

2.24 is really low but there are 132 schools now apparently, so I'm sure you will get in somewhere plus there are schools that take a holistic approach to evaluating apps. Just apply very broadly to increase your chances