This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aki Shimoyo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still not done with my PharmCAS application. The reason is because I have been dragging on my PCAT. I did terrible on the one in September and I missed the test on November.

-Bachelor's of Science (chemistry)
-A year of hospital volunteer experience
-Cumulative 3.2 gpa
-LOR: from a pharmacist, director of a department in the hospital, and one from an organic chemistry professor.
-My personal statement needs a few more changes before I can submit it

I live in NYC but I did my undergrad in Buffalo, NY. After graduating and coming back to NYC, I've grown accustomed to this place so I prefer studying here, but my choices are limited to LIU and Touro college.

My concerns:
1) I'm late in the application cycle now. I met a girl who was already accepted to pharmacy school and advised me to complete my application ASAP.

2) I took all my prereqs in Buffalo and I found out that unlike Buffalo, most schools require an introductory economics class. Someone told me to sign up for a non-matriculation class in a college near me, but how do I know if it qualifies?

3) PCAT: I did terrible on my first try. I did not do well because I am not good at standardized exams. I lost my touch after two years out of college compared to others who still have things fresh in their mind. I hope to anticipate at least an average/minimum percentile when I take the text next week. I took the official practice exams by Pearson. The tests doesn't seem that hard if I give myself unlimited time but that's not how it goes on the real exam.

--
I previously tried to go for the early assurance when I was an undergrad. After failing the interview and being rejected, I quit because I didn't want to go through this lengthy process. I am out of choices after not having much luck with my Bch.S. So here I am right now working on my application. I am out of school so I don't even have any friends or peers to discuss this with. I have to write this somewhere to get it off my mind. Thank you for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Yes.
2. Not all pharmacy schools require economics. Find out if the ones you're applying to do.
3. Why not try writing the practice tests using a time limit?

The job market around NYC is extremely saturated. Even if you go to a school in your area, you will most definitely have to relocate to find a job. There are other professions with plenty of job openings in your area, i.e. finance, accounting, computer programming, etc. that do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years in school only to have to relocate to flyover country to find a job.