Do I have a chance with these pt schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yogeeeee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ooooookkk Here is goes yall, gonna be a long winded post.

So I am planning on reapplying to PT school this year and want to be a bit more strategic about which schools I apply to and waste less time and money in the process. Here are the schools I'm thinking of applying to:

Nova SE
Youngstown
Lynchburg
U of St. Augustine
University of Colorado
Regis University* top choice
Sam Merritt** top choice
University of Washington
Puget Sound
Eastern Washington University
San Diego State University
George Fox University
Pacific University
UCSF (almost sure I won't get in so idk if I should bother)
U of Missouri
UN Las Vegas

cum GPA 3.06 (maybe slightly higher depending on this current class)
pGPA...complicated

Bio 1a 5 units C+ Retake 5u A
Bio 1b 4u B
Chem 1a 4u C+ (retaking this fall)
Chem 1b 5u A
Psych 3u A
Physics I 4u C- Retake 5u A
Physics II 5u A
Stats 4u C+ Retake 4u A
Anatomy Lec 3u C Retake 3u A
Anatomy Lab 2u A
Physiology lec 3u B+
Phys Lab 2u A-

pGPA without repeats 3.00
pGPA with repeats averaged 3.49 (I think)
pGPA with repeats replacing old grades 3.70

GRE
Verbal: 158
Analytical: 4.5
Quant: 152

LOR above average I would say
15o+ hours volunteer in 4 settings
I also went to a very very competitive undergrad univ so hopefully that helps my ****ty gpa?

It would be greatly helpful if anyone could steer me away or towards any schools on/not on the list based on my stats
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The schools in Washington are pretty impossible to get into as well...UNLV is pretty tough too since it has a low out of state tuition and solid program...but if you can afford to apply, then take the chance I suppose

yeah money isn't the hugest issue because I have been saving for the past year but with those stats do I have a chance at all? Also I think my prerec GPA might actually be lower like 3.28

Members don't see this ad :)
Which state are you a resident of? It looks like you're applying all over. I retook a few classes, and a lot of the schools I looked into would only allow 3 classes retaken, so double check that it's ok that you had to retake 4 classes.... I'm guessing California, because you have a lot of west coast schools.

I'm from California and had a cum gpa of 3.27 and pre-req of 3.2-3.7, mostly around a 3.4-3.5 depending on whether schools took the higher grade of my repeated courses. I got an interview at CSUF, but wasted my time applying to CSULB and CSUN, and I also didn't think I would stand a chance at UCSF because they place a heavy emphasis on research (also I don't want to live in SF...). I'd say you have a definite chance at Samuel Merrit, since they have lower average stats than most PT schools in California. However, this depends if you're a Cali resident...

I think you need to look at the average stats of each school to see if you have a chance of getting in, and also look into the location/tuition to see if you're ok with those things. I made an Excel spreadsheet to help remember all the requirements for each school.

I applied to several schools that were around 100k of tuition, and that's a freaking lot of money. I know Samuel Merrit is around there, and living expenses really suck in the bay area (I lived in Berkeley for 4 years, expect to pay 600-900 for your own bedroom in a shared apartment - I paid 645 and 530 for a 2 bedroom with 3 other girls).

I would say no to the Washington schools, and very doubtful for UNLV...I was rejected by the Washington schools, but I got an interview invite with UNLV and my stats were:

Cum GPA: 3.6
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.8
157Q, 147V, 4.0 W

Actually, even Samuel Merritt has become more competitive in the recent years. You will get an interview if you meet their minimums, however expect to be waitlisted with that GPA. Your GRE will rank you somewhere in the middle. Give it a shot as i hear that they move fairly quickly.

I am a first year at UCSF. I'd encourage you to apply. I believe they place a heavy emphasis on the interview. And I know of a few people who had lower stats in certain areas than you. Also it depends on your current location. It'd be much harder if you were outside of the state. And while I didn't apply to any Washington schools, based on what I heard from last cycle, the competition to get in is unusually high.

Reactions: 1 user
How is competition for out-of-California residents? I was looking at Cal State - Long Beach, and they seemed to admit ZERO out-of-state students.
I'm applying as an international student.....should I even bother??

How is competition for out-of-California residents? I was looking at Cal State - Long Beach, and they seemed to admit ZERO out-of-state students.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with CSULB unless you have a really high GPA and a killer GRE score. They have early decisions as well, which could make it harder to get in. I don't know if they prefer in-state, you'll have to ask about that. The percentage of out of state is low either because they prefer California residents, or because a majority of applicants live in California and want to get into the cheaper public schools.

It really depends on the applicant pool since they vary year to year. I only applied to YSU of these schools and was accepted, but declined to attend a program in my hometown. Your GRE scores are solid, but I'm afraid they may not make up for your cum. GPA, as YSU's average accepted cum. GPA tends to be around 3.7. It's worth a shot applying, you never know what could be in your future!

All CSU's prefer in-state. Your chances are extremely low.

I'm from California and looked at California schools, but feel I don't have the stats to get in to them. Should I still apply to them just because I'm from California, or should I not waste my time/money applying to them?

I'm from California and looked at California schools, but feel I don't have the stats to get in to them. Should I still apply to them just because I'm from California, or should I not waste my time/money applying to them?

I thought it was a waste of time for me to apply to the public schools in California. I got an interview at CSUF but so did 200 other students, so I don't think I ever stood a chance instate. If you're below average, you probably have really slim chances.

I am a first year at UCSF. I'd encourage you to apply. I believe they place a heavy emphasis on the interview. And I know of a few people who had lower stats in certain areas than you. Also it depends on your current location. It'd be much harder if you were outside of the state. And while I didn't apply to any Washington schools, based on what I heard from last cycle, the competition to get in is unusually high.
Really?!?!? I would love to go to UCSF and I think I interview well and I have research experience but I really really can't believe I would get in with those numbers. I am a california resident but still. Also I wonder if the people you met with lower numbers than me had really good scores in other areas and that made up for it?

Also I hate to ask "what are the easy schools to get into" cause I feel like a major loser, but what are they? I basically want to know what schools I can even get into with the stats I have.
cum GPA 3.06
pGPA without repeats 3.00
pGPA with repeats averaged 3.49 (I think)
pGPA with repeats replacing old grades 3.70

GRE
Verbal: 158
Analytical: 4.5
Quant: 152

LOR above average I would say
160+ hours volunteer in 4 settings

There aren't really "easy" schools to get into, and the easier schools really depend on what your stats are. Your best bet is to search through these forums and check on each school's website (or the PTCAS website) for their average accepted statistics. I know it takes a lot of time, but each person's application is different. Touro NV was easy for me to get into, but might be harder for you to get into, for example.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm from Colorado, applied to Regis and CU and am currently attending CU (interviewed and accepted at both). At the Regis interview, we were told that the average GPA was a 3.78. CU has pretty high prerequisite requirements, so if you haven't fulfilled the advanced anatomy and separate physiology coursework with labs, plus the other 6 credits of upper level science courses (ochem/biochem/cell bio are what is suggested) your application won't make it through the first cut, regardless of gpa. That being said, I didn't do any repeated classes, so I don't know how they go about calculating gpa with repeats. Have you been in contact with Betti (CU) or Jamie (Regis)? They will be your best resources for this.

Ohh thats steep, I was already suspecting this school would be reach for me but now its official. I think I might still apply to regis because I visited last year and love love love Denver. I have been in contact with both Jamie and Betti last cycle.