Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avalonnie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I decided I wanted to go to optometry school about a two years ago. At the time, I had attempted and failed or been withdrawn from college classes three times. After I made the decision to go to optometry school, I got serious about school. I transferred, and at my current school I have a 3.8 and have gotten A's in all my major (bio) requirement courses. I have about a year left before I graduate.
Would you all recommend taking Gen Physics or Calc based Physics? Which is better prep for the OAT? Do you think my previous screw ups will hurt my chances?

I've worked at an Optometry office off and on for 10 years. The problem is that the optometrist I worked under is my aunt. She's a pioneer in her field, but I read that we can't use family recommendations. The other doctor has known me since birth and teaches at an Optometry School. Can instructors at optometry schools write letters of recommendation?

Thanks for reading all this.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're supposed to take Gen Physics. If they can't write recommendations, they can probably at least pull some strings if they're well known in the field.

Gen physics. Do well on the OAT. This country loves a good comeback so your past shouldn't be a problem if you can do well on the OAT coupled with your good recent trend. Ask the schools about the letters of rec.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take general physics, there is no need to inflict calculus based physics upon yourself. You can't have family members write you a letter of recommendation, but I'm sure an instructor could write you one, unless that person is working at the school you are applying to. In that case I would be sure to ask the school and the doctor. Don't count on getting strings pulled, I'm surprised that comment was even posted.

Let me be the first to say there is NO PROBLEM with having an instructor at an optometry write you a letter of rec. I did it =D I volunteered at an optometry school's clinic and the doctor I worked for wrote me a letter. I will definitely say away from family recommendations, or having strings pulled. No one likes nepotism, and honestly that looks bad on both parties, not that I think you would actually do it but hey a friendly warning. Stick with Gen Physics, that's all you need for OATs. Best of Luck to you! =D