Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychpharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a BS in psych (3.6 gpa) and an MA in Psych (3.9 gpa). I really want to change my career and study pharmacy, but I don't know if I have a good chance at getting excepted anywhere since my major is so different. I still need to complete some pre-reqs before applying to a PharmD program and hopefully, I will do well in those classes. What is everyone's opinion on this?

Members don't see this ad.

psychpharm said:
I graduated with a BS in psych (3.6 gpa) and an MA in Psych (3.9 gpa). I really want to change my career and study pharmacy, but I don't know if I have a good chance at getting excepted anywhere since my major is so different. I still need to complete some pre-reqs before applying to a PharmD program and hopefully, I will do well in those classes. What is everyone's opinion on this?

i know that a lot of people who wants to goto med school choose to have English as their major because MCAT requires analytical skill.
As long as you finish your pre req., i think you have a great chance of getting into the program. Your GPA and degree will definitely help you.
Try to have some experience in pharmacy and get a strong recommendation letter.
Good luck

Don't let your major deter you from entering the field.. there are many of us P1s from quite a few academic backgrounds, so don't exclude yourself just yet! I did the same thing, I switched fields after finishing undergrad and did my prereqs at State schools and Junior Colleges. As long as you have the drive to do it, don't let anything deter you!!!
good luck! :luck:

My class has business, biochemisty, computer science, engineering, nutrition, education, music theory, molecular biology, and I'm sure a few other random majors in it. Don't worry too much about it. Pharmacy has such diverse opportunities that a cookie cutter approach to selecting students would only be detrimental to its future.