Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impharm56

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I took the PCAT on October 25, 2017 and here are my scores:
Biological Processes: 35
Critical reading: 74
Quantitative reasoning: 51
Chemical Processes: 17
Composite: 41

My cGPA and sGPA is about 3.2 and so far I have 5 interviews: Thomas Jefferson University: Jefferson College of Pharmacy, Saint Joseph School of Pharmacy, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine, Western New England School of Pharmacy, South College School of Pharmacy.

I've done 3 years of research, and worked as a pharmacy technician and have a lot of volunteer hours. I'm aware that my stats are very low and am a little discouraged after seeing that most schools require PCAT scores of 50th percentile and up, so I'm very surprised that I have 5 interviews. Does anyone know if these schools particularly offer invitations to most applicants and what the interview to acceptance ratio is? I just want to see how much of a chance I have and if anyone has previously gotten into pharmacy school with similar scores.
I believe pharmCAS or sometimes even the school itself, will post the stats for interview to acceptance ratio. A quick google search will do the trick. I think you’ll have a good chance with Thomas Jefferson SOP, they’re a fairly new school so I’d imagine they’re still willing to accept quite a handful of students. The only downside with that school is that they try to weed students out during the first year. So picture 3 exams all back to back in the same day. The good side is they offer makeup exams.

1. Why do you want to be a pharmacist?
2. With your current stats on the PCAT do you think you can pass the harder licensing exams that will come later on?
3. Are you 100% confident that you will be able to find full-time or even a part-time job? Who are you connected with that will give you a job?
4. Can you work 10-14 hours on your feet without bathroom or meal breaks 4-5 days?
5. Are you comfortable going to school with the bottom of the barrel college students and knowing that the school only cares about taking your money?
Pharmacy is not for everyone and unfortunately people do not figure it out until it is too late. Please take the GRE and consider PA school, NP or engineering. People are taking their lives because they cannot find jobs after pharmacy school and are left with $200,000 of debt with compounding interest. I don't want this to happen to anyone else.

Reactions: 2 users
I took the PCAT on October 25, 2017 and here are my scores:
Biological Processes: 35
Critical reading: 74
Quantitative reasoning: 51
Chemical Processes: 17
Composite: 41

My cGPA and sGPA is about 3.2 and so far I have 5 interviews: Thomas Jefferson University: Jefferson College of Pharmacy, Saint Joseph School of Pharmacy, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine, Western New England School of Pharmacy, South College School of Pharmacy.

I've done 3 years of research, and worked as a pharmacy technician and have a lot of volunteer hours. I'm aware that my stats are very low and am a little discouraged after seeing that most schools require PCAT scores of 50th percentile and up, so I'm very surprised that I have 5 interviews. Does anyone know if these schools particularly offer invitations to most applicants and what the interview to acceptance ratio is? I just want to see how much of a chance I have and if anyone has previously gotten into pharmacy school with similar scores.
Perhaps you should surf the Internet and find these schools acceptance rates... it has to be somewhere. A 41 PCAT and you still got into all of schools? You are awesome lol :) It really shows that working + volunteer hours makes all the difference :=|:-): Hats off to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps you should surf the Internet and find these schools acceptance rates... it has to be somewhere. A 41 PCAT and you still got into all of schools? You are awesome lol :) It really shows that working + volunteer hours makes all the difference :=|:-): Hats off to you!

Are you a delusional student or were you hired by a pharmacy school to encourage mediocrity. This is a nightmare. Getting into a DOCTORAL program with crappy test scores is a bad sign.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no need to insult if you want to express your feelings please do so in a polite manner
Pharmacy is a horrible career field now. You can do EVERYTHING right and still not get the minimum result that you expected. The sooner these students find out how the world works, the better equipped they will be to face adversity. If you want to survive the long nights of pharmacy school, the disillusionment and depression when you are unemployed with $200,000 of debt, these people need to build a thick skin now or they will add to number of pharmacists who have committed suicide. People who choose to go through life without facing reality should not have children. This world is already overpopulated with stupid people who contribute nothing to society. If this language is harsh, then too bad. These people need to understand the gravity of the situation.

Okay, I respect your opinion and wish you well as I also wish to many pharmacy students going through the application and admissions process :):thumbup:

Okay, I respect your opinion and wish you well as I also wish to many pharmacy students going through the application and admissions process :):thumbup:

You're a nice person, but I feel that there is a lack of understanding with the job market. Why are you pursuing pharmacy when you know there are no jobs? Do you have a relative or inside person who will set you up with a job? Even people who work as technicians for their chains, then interns are not guaranteed a job. I went on residency interviews and encountered residents who complained they could not find a job. What is the point of struggling for 8 years (BS and PharmD), putting yourself in debt and not even having a respectable job at the end?

Saturation is happening in every profession. No doubt pharmacy is saturating , but saturation is a relative term. For me, I only have two paths to choose from either PHD or PharmD. For PHD, sure I wont have any loan, but I prob will struggle to even find a 30k post doc job.....I pick my poison on pharmacy. We shall see how it goes, after all, nobody knows what might happen in the future. As for family or relative insiders, LOL :smack:.

Reactions: 1 users
Saturation is happening in every profession. No doubt pharmacy is saturating , but saturation is a relative term. For me, I only have two paths to choose from either PHD or PharmD. For PHD, sure I wont have any loan, but I prob will struggle to even find a 30k post doc job.....I pick my poison on pharmacy. We shall see how it goes, after all, nobody knows what might happen in the future. As for family or relative insiders, LOL :smack:.

I'm not going to probe into your personal life, but I feel like there are so many other career choices with less headache AND heartache involved. I really hope undergrad students consider ALL possible options before pharmacy. There are times that I regret not going into nursing or PA school. Although the work can be stressful and physically-demanding (nursing), you have a steady job and you can move up the career ladder (DNP). Pharmacists are sometimes treated like the unwanted stepchild in healthcare, we have to beg for work and constantly prove our worth to our techs, the public and other healthcare professionals.

@evilbooyaa--I will speak my mind and tell the truth. The previous comment I wrote about stupid people breeding was removed. Nothing I have said since violates the community policies so there is no need for readers to be oversensitive. If these people want to live in a fantasyland then go on antidepressants when they are $200,000 in debt and unemployed that is their choice, but at least they can look back to this post and remember that they were warned. Suicide is real, there were times when I contemplated taking my life because of my regret of going to pharmacy school. I warn these people because I do not want anyone to go through the mental anguish I have been through these past 3.5 years.

Last edited:
I'm not going to probe into your personal life, but I feel like there are so many other career choices with less headache AND heartache involved. I really hope undergrad students consider ALL possible options before pharmacy. There are times that I regret not going into nursing or PA school. Although the work can be stressful and physically-demanding (nursing), you have a steady job and you can move up the career ladder (DNP). Pharmacists are sometimes treated like the unwanted stepchild in healthcare, we have to beg for work and constantly prove our worth to our techs, the public and other healthcare professionals.
I think it depends on whether a person has done their research, got experience, and know themselves. I know pharmacy is saturated but my life has always been and always will be science and healthcare. But I simply do not have the personality to become something like a nurse like my sister and mother. They can watch their patient accidentally defecate on the bathroom floor, clean that up and the patient, and not bat an eyelash. I know myself enough that I would probably not make it through that day lol. I realize how repetitive and stressful retail and hospital pharmacy can be but that's exactly what I love -that's my personality. I'm sorry for those who are getting into this field for the wrong reasons and are not aware of the state of things and I'm sorry that you've gone through all that too.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it depends on whether a person has done their research, got experience, and know themselves. I know pharmacy is saturated but my life has always been and always will be science and healthcare. But I simply do not have the personality to become something like a nurse like my sister and mother. They can watch their patient accidentally defecate on the bathroom floor, clean that up and the patient, and not bat an eyelash. I know myself enough that I would probably not make it through that day lol. I realize how repetitive and stressful retail and hospital pharmacy can be but that's exactly what I love -that's my personality. I'm sorry for those who are getting into this field for the wrong reasons and are not aware of the state of things and I'm sorry that you've gone through all that too.

It's the unemployment and lies from leaders in the field that gets me. My family encouraged me to do pharmacy because they thought it was more prestigious than being a nurse or PA. I volunteered in an inpatient pharmacy for years and I enjoyed it, but I did not know about the unemployment issue until I had already started pharmacy school. I love the natural sciences as well and I think I could have excelled in any health care field as bodily fluids do not bother me. I post because I want these kids to know that there are other options out there. I was a 4.0 student with PCAT stats in the 90s, I only applied to one pharmacy school and almost walked away from my admission, but it was my senior year at college and I didn't want to put off graduation. I figured I was "stuck". I want these students to know that even if their families have bullied them into pharmacy or they have been working as technicians for years, there are other paths to a successful, stable career.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Why do you want to be a pharmacist?
2. With your current stats on the PCAT do you think you can pass the harder licensing exams that will come later on?
3. Are you 100% confident that you will be able to find full-time or even a part-time job? Who are you connected with that will give you a job?
4. Can you work 10-14 hours on your feet without bathroom or meal breaks 4-5 days?
5. Are you comfortable going to school with the bottom of the barrel college students and knowing that the school only cares about taking your money?
Pharmacy is not for everyone and unfortunately people do not figure it out until it is too late. Please take the GRE and consider PA school, NP or engineering. People are taking their lives because they cannot find jobs after pharmacy school and are left with $200,000 of debt with compounding interest. I don't want this to happen to anyone else.
Yes. Pharmacists are taking their lives. They are among the top 10 professionals. Number 1 being medical doctors followed by dentists.

I have a 3.21 gpa and i have over 1000 volunteer hours at hospitals. I haven't taken the pcat yet. But I am studying really hard for it.Do you think I have a chance in getting into pharmacy school?

I have a 3.21 gpa and i have over 1000 volunteer hours at hospitals. I haven't taken the pcat yet. But I am studying really hard for it.Do you think I have a chance in getting into pharmacy school?
Prepare for the worst and get work experience! Hospital/retail volunteering makes everything look great but work experience shows you what it's really like.