Do I have a chance????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dali

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you guys have heard this before but what do you think about my stats for DO school:CA resident, community college GPA 3.7 NS 3.64SCI and 3.5 sci 3.7NSCi from a good school. i messed up on my MCAT last year and ended up with 6V 8B, 8P .. now i think im in a better shape for the mcat and hopefully get 27-28 with most likely a 7 on the verbal..i also have alot of volunteer exp. and is it too late to apply

Members don't see this ad.

you have a 14% chance with a 22MCAT.
you have a 87% chance with a 28MCAT.
you have a 0% chance if you don't apply.

so...apply

>>hopefully get 27-28 with most likely a 7 on the verbal

wow. what do you mean? "hopefully, likely?" are you still waiting to take the august exam? why didn't u take it in april?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by youngjock:
>>hopefully get 27-28 with most likely a 7 on the verbal

wow. what do you mean? "hopefully, likely?" are you still waiting to take the august exam? why didn't u take it in april?
yes im taking it this august!!
why is it too late ??
as far as my verbal i'm keep getting 7 and 8's .. i've tried everything but i cant seem to get anything higher.. any advice??

Why didn't you take it in April?

if you know that mcat is not good, you should take it early, so u can apply early.

Youngjock,
Why do you even bother writing any replies on this board? If I were you, and thank god I'm not, I would have quit posting on here long ago. I have yet to see you give anyone any sign of encouragement, and for that matter, you don't even give "constructive" criticism. With the MCAT scores you yourself claimed to have scored, why didn't YOU retake the April test?
Another thing, you've posted 89 times during the past month, don't you have anything better to do? Get a life.....
And for those who will come to YJ's defense, (all two of you) no I really don't care about the point he is trying to make here, and no I could care less about "judging" him, as far as I'm concerned he is nothing but a pain in everyone who is looking for some legitamate (sp) informatin on this site, and we'd all be better served if he would take a hike.....Late....

FYI for qb1: I believe the consensus for dealing with YJ is to just ignore him. We're hoping he'll get bored and go away.

-d

qb1, do you live your life by criticizing and humiliating others? I do not see how you can be a doctor if you live a hateful life.

The original author did not even complain, why did you jump your gun and tell me what i should do?

why do you waste your time observing what i say, what i do, it seems to me that you are a stalker.

wait one minute here....when the hell did this topic change to "dealing with the insecurities of yj"....we are dealing with dali here....i think you definitely have a chance in terms of GPA, but the MCATs are hampering your chances....if you could pull up the score to somewhere in the upper 20s, you have a great chance!!!...and whoever said that you have a 0% chance if you don't try is 100% RIGHT!!!

YJ, you finally got something right. It is a waste of my time worrying about the ramblings you say. And as far as the stalker thing goes I can't think of an appropriate response to a ludicrous statement like that. I think I'll take the advice of the other 99.9% of the students who post on this site and forget you exist. Just some helpful advice, there are some great P.A. and nursing sites online, maybe you should check them out. Late....

Dali:

You have good grades and MCATs, I would not worry very much about the one low verbal score you may get. I am acctually very interested why you decided to apply to osteopthaic vs. allopathic programs. You have the stats, depending on the strength of your personal statement, to get into good MD schools, esspecially if you get 28+ on your MCATs.

Just so you would make an informed decision, you can get into an MD school which will carry you much further than DO and also be most likely cheaper than a DO schools which chances are will make you take out more than 120,000 $ in loans, since they don't have any solid financial aid program in DO schools.
Also you have written about how you went to community college, and then into a "good" school (which I gather is a four year university). Believe it or not having community college experience will help you way more than you think. Admissions officers like to see in the applicant the ability to move up in the world and try to better yourself or your education background.

Just for example. I'll be going to Cornell Medical College this year and Cornell sent us
a list of students who got accepted and their educational background. I kid you not when I say that over 75% of people on that list did the same thing you did, haven studied or transferred from a less known school (state, community college, or unknown private liberal arts college) to a more established larger university or etc....

Myself I had exactly the same story as you. I went for two years to a small liberal arts school and then transfered to a large well know university.

Experiences like this demonstrate to admissions officers individuality, personality and maturity. Don't sell your self short by just applying to DO schools,
no matter what your MCATs end up being.

P.S. it is not too late to apply, I would shoot to apply by August 15th and but AMCAS will not send out your application without AUGUST MCATs (you were talking about the august MCATs right?)With this time table you will be getting secondaries in the mail by probably late october.

I wish you luck and hope you will include allopathic schools on your application roster.

Arti

Dali

In retrospect you may want to put in a lot of energy into doing MCAT prep for this next month and while you wait for your scores in August and September, try to prepare the best posiible essay, give it to lots of people to read for comments and such. VERY IMPORTANT to have a solid essay.

As far as verbal goes and MCAT in general,the very unoriginal advice I can give you is to do as many practice test as possible. Order, if you have not done so already, the 4 or 5 real MCATs from AAMC, time yourself and do them. Borrow old MCAT test from friends and do them.

If you don't know you science material inside out I would get the KAPLAN subject books from either your friends or buy them if you can from KAPLAN. They are very short and are to the point in terms of major science you need to know. You should be able to read and UNDERSTAND them all in maybe 2 weeks (3-4 days per book) and concentrate on practice test for remaning time.

Once again good luck, you should do great.

Arti