Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmicha3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to medical schools, My gpa is not all that strong but up to par. I was wondering whether or not I have a chance considering I got such a low score on my mca (25). If so, which schools should I apply to. I know I should retake the mcat so I would appreciate it if you can overlook me not retaking the mcat. Thanks!

3.85 Cumulative GPA
3.77 Science GPA (Mainly due to a C in Calculus)
4.0 Other GPA
25 MCAT :(

1. Emergency Department Volunteer beginning of undergrad till current (patient/visitor interaction involved)
2. Emergency Department Volunteer Research Assistant beginning of undergrad till current (Clinical Research mainly sitting at a computer screening for qualifying patients, patient interaction involved)
3. Physiology and Biophysics Research Summer 2011 till current (miRNA lab research)
4. Volunteer Head of a Polish/ American club sophomore year till current
5. President of Polish/American Club 2nd semester of junior year until senior year (looking ahead)
6. Member of Polish American club freshman year till current
7. Member of pre-med club sophomore year till current
8. Volunteer in Polish Breast Cancer Society (beginning of junior year till current)
9. Shadowing an Emergency Department Physician and also a Professor of Surgery
10. Yearly Relay for Life Team Captain
11. Non- medical volunteering experience

Members don't see this ad.

Is Polish your first language? If so, I'm guessing your MCAT score is at least partially due to a low verbal reason score. The good news is adcoms will take that into consideration when they compare your MCAT against your country of birth and other context clues that indicate English may not be your first language and cut you a little slack. The bad news is there's no way to give you a reasonable prediction of your chances without a better MCAT, because as you stand now they are near zero. With a retake you could shoot for "Top 20" schools, if your ECs are of significant duration.

It would help if you gave absolute durations for your experiences (1 year running) instead of relative ones (junior until now) and your most important activities (shadowing, non-medical volunteering, ED volunteer) don't have times at all. You're shooting for 150+ hours over 1+ years in each of those categories. Fill us in with details and maybe we can be of more help.

With a retake and a score of 10 points higher