Do i have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schooler

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, i need some much needed advice.

i took the mcat 2 times, the last time was this august, i got a 23P....i decided not to apply this year, and take next year off. i was wondering what you think my chances of getting accepted next year would be if i applied early with a 23 P, 3.7 gpa, chem major with 2 co majors? lots of volunteering hours....

i need help, otherwise i have to RETAKE the mcat a 3rd time which i AVOIDING at all costs.....

any advice is appreciated
thanks
schooler

Members don't see this ad.

apply right now for vcom,pscom,unecom,wsvom,azcom,lecom and dmu.

schooler said:

i took the mcat 2 times, the last time was this august, i got a 23P....i decided not to apply this year, and take next year off. i was wondering what you think my chances of getting accepted next year would be if i applied early with a 23 P, 3.7 gpa, chem major with 2 co majors? lots of volunteering hours....

i need help, otherwise i have to RETAKE the mcat a 3rd time which i AVOIDING at all costs.....

thanks
schooler
Your GPA is really high for osteopathic schools and your MCAT is at or around average for a handful of DO schools as well. You should have applied especially to the schools the above poster mentioned. If you have the money apply to all the DO schools. It's kind of late but you have a really good chance at getting in somewhere this year. Why wait?! Unless you want to retake that MCAT for a shot at MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
ezal36 said:
apply right now for vcom,pscom,unecom,wsvom,azcom,lecom and dmu.

dont forget KCOM

schooler said:

thanks
schooler

Do not wait! Apply tomorrow...you definitely have a legitimate shot this go around...don't put it off and don't kill a year for no good reason.

You might interview 'late', but you have no idea how many people leave DO schools high and dry once an MD school comes knocking -- there is a ton of waitlist movement after May 15th. It is the $100,000 mistake, don't make it. Plus, if you take the MCAT a 3rd time your score will not significantly improve.

EDIT: I just realized that you are only 20 years old...so I guess in your situation...burning a year is not the worst thing in the world. You may even need it. In general though, I would never recommend taking a year or two off...there is just no need and this is a long enough process as it is.

schooler said:

thanks
schooler

We have similar stats, my GPA 3.76, Mcat 22N. I have 2 acceptances so far.

schooler said:

thanks
schooler

why wait, the worst thing that could happen is that you don't get accepted. then you just take the MCAT next year and do it again.

Raven Feather said:

WHAT SCHOOLS?

APPLY NOW. my friend had a lower GPA and MCAT, and waited around, not knowing what he was going to do. eventually he decided to apply, but it was JANUARY. he got waitlisted at one DO school- they eventually accepted him during orientation. i bet if he had applied earlier, he probably still would have been waitlisted, but would have been accepted sooner, and life would have been less stressful for him. i say it NEVER HURTS TO APPLY. granted it costs money, but why waste a year of your life? i bet you'll get in somewhere, and you'll be so happy you gave it a shot :)

Raven Feather said:

Where are your acceptances?

OP, you and I have very similar stats...I had a 25P MCAT and a 3.75 GPA. The dean at Pikeville called me REALLY earliy, on September 26...I think I could very well have been the very first applicant they accepted, lol

I think that your stats would definitely put you in the running for next year's entering class, but I would have to extend some caution to you. Most classes fill up FAST after October or so. If you applied now, in December, you would not even receive secondary applications until around February or so because this is AACOMAS's busy time, meaning that by the time your primary is processed, you would be very close to secondary app. deadlines. Your interview would then probably be at around the end of March or beginning of April. At that point, many schools are just interviewing for the waiting list. You still have a chance of being accepted, but the applicant pool is extremely competitive at that point. Your best bet may be to save your money, gain some more experience that you enjoy, and apply really early the next application season! (Yes, this is my true story with similar stats, but there is a happy ending. DMU--Class of 2010!)

Good luck and don't give up! :)

schooler said:

thanks
schooler

At the very least apply LECOM Erie... I was accepted there w/ my first MCAT score of 22R.

raDiOnut

I am just curious to know what schools you have researched? Have you looked at all of your options carefully? What about financial aid? Have you looked into scholarships? What sections of the MCAT did you do poorly on? Carefully weigh all of your options, including location if all possible.