Do I have any chance of matching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoctor317

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS III really interested in urology but am not sure if it's possible for me to match
Middle tier allopathic medical school
Step 1- 230-235
Research - 1 urology research experience, no publication
clinical grades- mainly high passes, with the exception of surgery which I passed (really bad shelf score, but good clinical evals)

Is urology no longer an option because of my step 1 score and pass in surgery?
How much is a bad surgery shelf score going to hurt my application?
Would working hard on aways and doing a urology subi be enough to overcome my poor grades?
Would it be more advantageous to take step II before sending in my application or should I use that time to get involved in urology research and try to get a publication?

Members don't see this ad.

This year was brutal for urology. Next year may be better, but there are no guarantees. Take Step II early and beat your Step I score. Get involved in urology research pronto. Early match is both a blessing and a curse. You need to amp up your CV as soon as possible. Do one or two away rotations -- if you do two, do one at a "top" place and one at a solid mid-tier in your geographical preference. Get strong LORs.

If you honor your urology rotations, have good LORs, and show consistent success in your other rotations, then your surgery pass will be forgiven. You may be asked about it on the interview trail but it's not a dealbreaker. I passed surgery and had a so-so Step I score, but I managed to eke out honors/high pass in enough rotations to pad my transcript. I matched at a strong well-known program, and I was asked about my clinical grades zero times (and my Step I score maybe twice). Urology LORs from people who are "well known" are crucial to overcoming deficiencies.

And check out www.urologymatch.com.

Good luck.

This year was brutal for urology. Next year may be better, but there are no guarantees. Take Step II early and beat your Step I score. Get involved in urology research pronto. Early match is both a blessing and a curse. You need to amp up your CV as soon as possible. Do one or two away rotations -- if you do two, do one at a "top" place and one at a solid mid-tier in your geographical preference. Get strong LORs.

If you honor your urology rotations, have good LORs, and show consistent success in your other rotations, then your surgery pass will be forgiven. You may be asked about it on the interview trail but it's not a dealbreaker. I passed surgery and had a so-so Step I score, but I managed to eke out honors/high pass in enough rotations to pad my transcript. I matched at a strong well-known program, and I was asked about my clinical grades zero times (and my Step I score maybe twice). Urology LORs from people who are "well known" are crucial to overcoming deficiencies.

And check out www.urologymatch.com.

Good luck.

Thank you for the advice. My understanding is that uro apps should be in by mid september. My initial plan was to do a uro subi in july at the institution I want to end up in. And in August I was hoping to do an away at a well-known place. During this time I was planning on getting involved in some research and getting LORs. Do you think it's smarter to take step II instead? I will probably have to push everything back 4 weeks. My only worry is that I will not have everything done by the time applications open up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice. My understanding is that uro apps should be in by mid september. My initial plan was to do a uro subi in july at the institution I want to end up in. And in August I was hoping to do an away at a well-known place. During this time I was planning on getting involved in some research and getting LORs. Do you think it's smarter to take step II instead? I will probably have to push everything back 4 weeks. My only worry is that I will not have everything done by the time applications open up.

Don't delay the subi's. Remember that you want a LOR from someone, preferably the chair of the away deparment, and those don't happen overnight. A september away means your letter might not be uploaded until October or later, which could delay your application.

Don't delay the subi's. Remember that you want a LOR from someone, preferably the chair of the away deparment, and those don't happen overnight. A september away means your letter might not be uploaded until October or later, which could delay your application.

How are people able to take step II, do subi's and aways all while getting their application in on time. I don't see how its possible. Also if anyone knows of any good programs for aways a PM would be appreciated.

It sounds to me like you're a fairly typical applicant by numbers/experience. Might not be able to match or interview at the very top programs but I wouldn't give up if you're interested. You can always work hard at aways and get some good letters.

Take Step 2 late, get your personal statement ready early.. you'll be fine when it's time to submit your app.

I'm a MSIII thinking of uro. Stellar board scores, H and HP on most courses. LIkeable, team player. Also I had an MD-PhD. Female. WHat are my chances of matching in uro?

I would consider doing minimum 2, if possible 3, aways. Would not do an away at a program you don't think you have a decent shot of matching at (ie. not big name programs). You need letters from big name people, of which there are 1 or 2 of at most mid-tier programs.