MD Do I have any hope of matching FM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jumpstart88

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am finishing my time at a low tier US MD and as I approach the 2021 match I'm just looking back at all the issues I had throughout medical school. I started medical school in August 2014 and because of horrible migraines and anxiety issues I ended up having to repeat my first year. After successfully repeating first year, I had to take a year off because of family issues (sick mom/sister having drug problems) and then I came back to complete 2nd year. I finished 2nd year on my first try but ended up having to decelerate by yet another year because I couldn't take Step 1 in time. I took Step 1 and scored a 221 and then completed my 3rd year without any crazy achievements (Passes throughout). I scored a 232 on Step 2 CK and passed Step 2 CS on my first try. Now, this extra year that ended up being added to my time (because of a delayed Step 1 and my 3rd year rotation schedule getting moved) is almost up and I'll be starting MS4 soon. I originally started in 2014 and by the time I graduate, I would have been in medical school for 7 years. I know this is virtually unheard of for most people. At this point I will literally apply everywhere and will go anywhere that takes me. All this being said, do I have a chance to match FM somewhere?

Would appreciate any honest feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Your Step scores are fine for FM, and you have a family issue to explain the first year off. Taking time off for taking Step 1 is going to be seen as a drawback, but I hardly think this disqualifies you from FM. I personally think you're okay.

Reactions: 1 user
You passed Step 1 therefore you are guaranteed a match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone will likely take you. There will be a lot people however wondering if you are just one of those people that always seems to have some reason they keep having problems. You may view that as fair or not but you need to be ready to convince people that’s not you and you will show up on time for (3?) years without being a hassle.

You only need to convince one residency

Reactions: 2 users
I think you have a good chance. It's not like you can't perform well on exams. If you can get solid LOR you might even get more interviews than you expected

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

I'm fairly confident that you will match. You have a good plan of applying broadly and you've passed your boards. A strong LOR explaining your situation and vouching for you will go a long way. Be prepared to share your story and highlight that the issues were earlier in your medical school career and that you have been successful since they were addressed.
Good luck and enjoy 4th year!

Thank you very much for the replies everyone! I was honestly feeling so disheartened, but you all have given me a lot of confidence!

100%

You can also match into Peds, IM and even neurology...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users