Do I have as shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preMed468

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.5 overall gpa, 3.0 science gpa (C's in cellular bio, genetics, physiology, B in orgo/gen chems, B in biochemistry, A's in physics)

I go to an ivy league undergrad, D1 athlete, extracurricularly involved/volunteer in community, did research in engineering lab, two medical internships/shadowing

I'm hispanic, and a resident of Florida

I have not taken the mcat, but assuming I break 510, where (if anywhere) would I have a shot at applying for med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.5 overall gpa, 3.0 science gpa (C's in cellular bio, genetics, physiology, B in orgo/gen chems, B in biochemistry, A's in physics)

I go to an ivy league undergrad, D1 athlete, extracurricularly involved/volunteer in community, did research in engineering lab, two medical internships/shadowing

I'm hispanic, and a resident of Florida

I have not taken the mcat, but assuming I break 510, where (if anywhere) would I have a shot at applying for med school?
Which community do you represent? Not all hispanic individuals are considered URM.

I think it would be a waste of money to apple this cycle. Take 20 credits of upper level post-bacc work at a local school, kill the MCAT (510 would be ok) and apply next cycle. You will need to include DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Which community do you represent? Not all hispanic individuals are considered URM.

I think it would be a waste of money to apple this cycle. Take 20 credits of upper level post-bacc work at a local school, kill the MCAT (510 would be ok) and apply next cycle. You will need to include DO schools.

I am puerto rican

Members don't see this ad :)
If you score 508 or higher you should be able to receive interviews at your Florida schools so when you eventually apply, apply to all your Florida MD schools. When are you planning to take the MCAT?

Please don't spread misinformation. If you are from/have parents who are from Central America, Puerto Rico, or South America you are a URM. If you are Native American, you are URM. If you are an African American, you are a URM. I don't understand why people still believe the pre-2003 definitions still apply. Not to mention that VAST majority of schools stopped considering only subset of populations URM even before AAMC did.

AAMC Executive Council adopted the following: "'Underrepresented in medicine' means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."

https://www.aamc.org/download/54278/data/urm.pdf

It used to be Only 4 groups, people need to stop spreading misinformation. The AAMC also states in their letter that they encourage SCHOOLS to implement their OWN definitions if they find AAMC to be too restricting. Many schools will consider anyone who is from Central and South America to be a minority and URM.

More evidence: Frequently Asked Questions

What is "underrepresented in medicine"?

In 2003, the AAMC adopted a new definition of underrepresented in medicine. An important feature of this new definition is that it no longer identifies specific populations as underrepresented or as minorities. Rather, it provides a tool for medical schools to build and assess institutional diversity. Race and ethnicity can be one element of a total picture among other components, such as personal attributes, experiential factors, and demographics.

Each medical school determines its own diversity policies using factors which may include race and ethnicity. For example, a particular institution may decide, based on its own mission and goals, that Cuban-born or Latino students would generally serve the diversity interests of the school. The same school may decide that, in addition, its diversity interests are served by encouraging enrollments of students from other traditionally underrepresented groups, such as African Americans and Native Americans.

Medical Minority Applicant Registry (Med-MAR)

Underrepresented in Medicine Definition - Initiatives - AAMC

Please don't spread misinformation. If you are from/have parents who are from Central America, Puerto Rico, or South America you are a URM. If you are Native American, you are URM. If you are an African American, you are a URM. I don't understand why people still believe the pre-2003 definitions still apply. Not to mention that VAST majority of schools stopped considering only subset of populations URM even before AAMC did.

AAMC Executive Council adopted the following: "'Underrepresented in medicine' means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."

https://www.aamc.org/download/54278/data/urm.pdf

It used to be Only 4 groups, people need to stop spreading misinformation. The AAMC also states in their letter that they encourage SCHOOLS to implement their OWN definitions if they find AAMC to be too restricting. Many schools will consider anyone who is from Central and South America to be a minority and URM.

More evidence: Frequently Asked Questions

What is "underrepresented in medicine"?

In 2003, the AAMC adopted a new definition of underrepresented in medicine. An important feature of this new definition is that it no longer identifies specific populations as underrepresented or as minorities. Rather, it provides a tool for medical schools to build and assess institutional diversity. Race and ethnicity can be one element of a total picture among other components, such as personal attributes, experiential factors, and demographics.

Each medical school determines its own diversity policies using factors which may include race and ethnicity. For example, a particular institution may decide, based on its own mission and goals, that Cuban-born or Latino students would generally serve the diversity interests of the school. The same school may decide that, in addition, its diversity interests are served by encouraging enrollments of students from other traditionally underrepresented groups, such as African Americans and Native Americans.

Medical Minority Applicant Registry (Med-MAR)

Underrepresented in Medicine Definition - Initiatives - AAMC
Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

All I was implying was that a Western European-American with Spanish heritage would not be considered URM in the eyes of admissions. Since the term URM can now refer to regional underrepresentation or whatever the school believes to be URM it's likely best people who fall outside of those classic four ethnic groups check with individual schools I suppose.

Either way OP needs PB work before his/her application is strong, imo.

Last edited: