Medical Do I have enough clinical volunteer experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

esob

Article 14
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think i have enough clinical experience for my medical school application. Here's what I have:
  1. An internship that comprised of meeting with doctors and reading/writing about surgical practices (not technically clinical i know but at least hopefully shows early awareness of the field) - freshman college summer
  2. Non-clinical volunteering (fairly extensive) - end of freshman/all of soph year
  3. Clinical volunteering (hospice - home care volunteer) - junior year
  4. Shadowing - junior year
Does the clinical volunteering look too late? I was very caught up with other forms of volunteering sophomore year and didn't quite clue-in to the need for clinical volunteering until later.
My only clinical volunteer experience in the last 20 years was hospice, the majority of which was in skilled nursing homes. I did have ~ 50 hrs of shadowing as well.

I applied with an avg MCAT and got 11 invites, attended 7 interviews and received 4 acceptances. I was asked about my hospice volunteering at the majority of my interviews, including all of the schools that offered me acceptance.

I also wrote about my hospice volunteering in several of my secondaries and in none of those instances did I mince the fact that most of my time spent with patients was in skilled nursing facilities.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.