General Do I have to submit every transcript even though the grades are not applicable to my bachelors degree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, I was originally enrolled in a university and did complete **** (2.5 GPA ish maybe even lower). Decided to drop out and APPLY TO A NEW UNIVERSITY AS IF I WAS FRESH OUT OF HIGHSCHOOL. I got accepted there and did way better (3.7 GPA).

I never transferred a single credit over from the original university I was at to the second university I now graduated from.
Worst case scenario I do end up having to submit those transcripts. Will I also have to apply the grades I got at that original university to the my GPA calculator EVEN THOUGH THOSE GRADES ARE NOT APPLICABLE TO MY DEGREE?

It seems extremely unfair for my GPA to be shot from an obviously bad experience...

EDIT:

I never took financial aid from this school. I was on a full ride scholarship. I dont know if this information helps.

A blanket answer concerning the submission of all your course work is a solid "yes." You must submit all existing courses you have taken as college credit regardless of the university or classes you attended. Depending on the Supplemental Application Server you utilize (AMCAS, CASPA, PharmCAS, etc etc) your GPA will be calculated based on specific criteria parameters including an overall calculated GPA of both cumulative and science courses from all classes you have taken.

With that, certain programs will recognize a trend with school placement that may correlate to your overall GPA. Keep in mind as well, if you did poorly in one course but repeated it with a solid grade, your calculated GPA will take the average of the two grades (this may be different with direct supplementary applications to specific programs that I am not aware of).

Bottom line, you need to provide transcripts as well as input the grades of all of your college credit courses you have taken from any and all universities you have ever attended.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. All post-secondary transcripts.

While your overall GPA calculation will be horrible, I have faith screeners recognize nuances and will see your grade trends.

Network and be sure the admissions staff at those schools you apply to can confirm this is what happens.

Yes, you must submit everything. To argue that those classes didn't contribute to your degree is no different than saying your elective in basket weaving didnt apply to your biology degree. It doesn't matter. You took classes at the college level for credit. Doesn't matter the location, the degree, the class, the performance. Everything gets submitted. Doesn't matter if you were on scholarship, paid out of pocket, used financial aid, or were just admitted to addend for free.

From the sound of it, the 2.5 shouldn't hold you back much at all since it appears that it was a quick turn around, and thus the 2.5 is with limited credits. The 3.7 is more recent and thus your grades will be trended up higher, and your overall will still be likely around 3.2-3.5 range depending on actual amount of credits taken for the 2.5 and 3.7.

With that said, when you do apply, keep in mind your "GPA" won't actually be 3.7. That might be what it was at your school, but your GPA is everything you've taken as mentioned above.

Good luck.

So Just a quick follow up. I never transferred/never applied any of the courses for credits from that original college to the university I graduated from. I believe I took something like 24 credits maximum, all of which were never transferred over. Does that change anything?
It changes nothing. You have to follow the rules for applicants. Not doing so is a breach of professionalism and disqualifies you completely.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. In terms of strengthening my GPA in that case, do you suggest taking a masters? Also, should I address this in my personal statement, or do you think that medical schools will be unlikely to even consider me with that type of GPA?
I suggest networking with your schools and asking if the screeners are savvy enough to value your more recent coursework. (See my earlier note.) The schools are more likely to exclude you due to your lack of confidence or knowledge/respect for the application process.

Status
Not open for further replies.