Do I have to take the TOEFL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ptldhrb

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if I absolutely have to take the toefl?
English is my second language. However, it's practically the only language I speak now.
I came here when I was 8-9 years old. Since, I have used English as my primary language.
It has come to my attention that some dental schools require TOEFL for non-native students.

So, what happens if I don't take it? For instance, if I just indicate on my application that English is my first language, then do I have to even worry about all this? Would they know?
 
I would contact them and ask! I moved to the US for college and the only school on my list that required it waived it for me!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
If you graduated HS and/or college here, you don't need to. I came here 3.5 years ago and since I'm graduating college here, before enrolling DS, I don't need to take it.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, if you will graduate from a U.S. 4-year-college, you won't need TOFEL regardless of your status.
 
If you attended a school or college for 5 years and was instructed in English, then you don't have to take TOEFL. Some schools require student to be a resident of USA to not take this test. In any case you need to contact the school to be sure