Do I need a Bachelors to get into dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamjarzz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have completed IGCSE (british curriculum) and hold a dental assistance certificate as well. I'm thinking of joining Dental hygiene and going onto joining dental school with DH associate degree.

Any advice please?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that will include any of the required coursework. Also if dental is similar to medicine I think allied health degrees have lower success rates in regards to acceptance.

You need Bachelors degree in the US. And it should be from US or Canada

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have completed IGCSE (british curriculum) and hold a dental assistance certificate as well. I'm thinking of joining Dental hygiene and going onto joining dental school with DH associate degree. Any advice please?
An associate degree is not adequate preparation for ds while an associate in hygiene is even worst. With one exception, all US dental schools require prerequisites to have been completed at a US institution.
2015 Prerequisites
2014 The MS Advantage-Predental Education of Enrollees
2015 Community College/Advanced Placement and DS Admission
2014 Majors and DS Admission Trend 2005-2013
Dental Hygiene to DS

You need Bachelors degree in the US. And it should be from US or Canada
Howard, UF, Midwestern Illinois, Illinois, Boston, Tufts, East Carolina and Utah are the only dental schools that require a BS prior to matriculation.

Last edited:
An associate degree is not adequate preparation for ds while an associate in hygiene is even worst. With one exception, all US dental schools require prerequisites to have been completed at a US institution.
2015 Prerequisites
2014 The MS Advantage-Predental Education of Enrollees
2015 Community College/Advanced Placement and DS Admission
2014 Majors and DS Admission Trend 2005-2013
Dental Hygiene to DS

Howard, UF, Midwestern Illinois, Illinois, Boston, Tufts, East Carolina and Utah are the only dental school that require a BS prior to matriculation.

Yea ok, 98 (99?) percent of students have a bachelors degree

Get the degree.

Accredited law schools in the US require a bachelors degree. Only the above listed D schools require it. Not all medical schools require one. I finished my bachelors in dental school, so was technically admitted without one.

No. Most people have at least a bachelor's but occasionally somebody will show up without a degree.

So what bachelors would be good if i want to get into dentistry?

Thanks guys!