Do I need a laptop for D1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salem7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be entering dental school this fall and I was wondering, do dental students get much use out of their laptop computers?

My school doesn't require one, so since money will probably be tight for the next four years, would you reccomend one? Or would it be considered just a luxury if I happen to have some extra cash?

Members don't see this ad.

Salem:

If you don't have a computer now, then I would suggest you to purchase one (if you have the $$). I recommend a computer (desktop or laptop) because during my first year at Nova I used my computer for papers, presentations (powerpoint), access required school stuff (notes, cases, email announcements, webstar), and online courses. I know dental schools are really pushing the technology front. If your school is not into all that technological stuff now, trust me, they will in your four years of dental education.

Although your school does not require a laptop, but your school may have an online course or two in the next four years. I, personally, would not be able to function with all my errands if I didn't have a computer at home so I guess it's really all up to you on how much you're dependent on computer now and how demanding is your school of you to have access to internet.

I know at my school, a lot of professors are giving us lecture powerpoint slides on CDs or provide their lectures on the internet. All of our announcements from school are in email form now (paperless). A computer is definitely a must for me and my dental education.

i did fine with the desktop i already had and found little need for a laptop so far. but i agree w/yah-e...it'll be convenient to access class info online at the comforts of home because some classes post grades/lecture materials/etc online. so, if you already have a desktop, you can save your $$ until you find that you really need a laptop later. but, if you don't have any computer at all, it'll make your life easier if you get one.

-wasabi007

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I'll stick with my desktop for now.

I concour with wasabi and yah-E - A laptop was definatly not a necessity. Now if I could purchase a photographic memory.... but I digress. I did need my high-speed internet access - for viewing histology stuff online and downloading powerpoint files from class lectures. (and for instant messaging... to keep my sanity :laugh:)

good luck next year!

-KungFoo

***4 more finals until D2!!!!!!!!!!!***

UCONN is requiring all entering D1's to have wireless laptops. The whole health center is going to have wireless internet and the patient charts are going to be digitized. I am thinking of getting the IBM thinkpad T-30 with built-in wireless.
On a seperate note, I was walking through NYC and I could have counted at least a dozen free 'hotspots' where anyone with a wireless card could surf the net for free. the 802.11 wi-fi is catching on fast...