Do I need an SMP or post-bacc for applying to DO schools? 3.3cGPA 3.2sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loavesonloaves

Reaction score
I'm a current undergrad on pace to graduate this fall with a cGPA somewhere around 3.3 and a sGPA around 3.2. I haven't taken the MCAT yet I am planning to take it in February next year. I've made up my mind that applying to DO schools is the path for but I'm not sure if I'm ready to apply yet for a couple of reasons: 1) My GPA. 2) I don't have much clinical experience.

Would an SMP or post-bacc program significantly boost my academic profile? Would it be worth doing? If so which of the two would you recommend? Price isn't really so much a factor for me, I'm also concerned about the time investment.

I know it's hard to give advice without an MCAT score but any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For DO schools, I don't believe that an SMP would be necessary. A post-bacc would help strengthen your application, but it's really going to depend on your MCAT score. A solid score on the MCAT could result in schools overlooking your past performance. Do you have any sort of upward trend, or were you largely consistent throughout your undergrad?

Reactions: 1 users
For DO schools, I don't believe that an SMP would be necessary. A post-bacc would help strengthen your application, but it's really going to depend on your MCAT score. A solid score on the MCAT could result in schools overlooking your past performance. Do you have any sort of upward trend, or were you largely consistent throughout your undergrad?
I had a feeling the SMP would be a bit much. I definitely had an upward trend. Although it was definitely more prevalent in my non-science courses

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with @Grifalicious that your move forward almost entirely depends on your MCAT score

Get that score. The higher the better

Reactions: 1 user
Around 505 or better should be your target. Anything under 500 would make things very difficult. Most likely you would be a reapplicant. If MCAT is low, I would do an smp and retake the mcat. You want to hit the ground running and not end up in the lower quartile of your class. Your grades aren't lethal, but on the lower border. Some schools may screen you by gpa. ECs need to be there too.I often recommend an smp as students sometimes need to bring up their game academically before walking into the meatgrinder called pre clinical,(the first 2 yrs ). Do you want to scrape by and graduate in the bottom third with low board scores and few residency options? Its hard to tell who will adjust to med school and who will have trouble. But our bottom quartile is not filled with high stat students as a rule. Something to think about. Hammer that MCAT, dont take it before you are quite ready, and things should fall into place. Good luck and best wishes!

BTW, I read your other post
Has your residency status changed? Your chances are better as a citizen.

Around 505 or better should be your target. Anything under 500 would make things very difficult. Most likely you would be a reapplicant. If MCAT is low, I would do an smp and retake the mcat. You want to hit the ground running and not end up in the lower quartile of your class. Your grades aren't lethal, but on the lower border. Some schools may screen you by gpa. ECs need to be there too.I often recommend an smp as students sometimes need to bring up their game academically before walking into the meatgrinder called pre clinical,(the first 2 yrs ). Do you want to scrape by and graduate in the bottom third with low board scores and few residency options? Its hard to tell who will adjust to med school and who will have trouble. But our bottom quartile is not filled with high stat students as a rule. Something to think about. Hammer that MCAT, dont take it before you are quite ready, and things should fall into place. Good luck and best wishes!

BTW, I read your other post
Has your residency status changed? Your chances are better as a citizen.
Thanks so much for the detailed response. I guess I’ll be zeroed in on the MCAT from here on out. In your opinion, does doing well in a post-bacc program matter much to schools, especially with a GPA like mine? Or if I’m doing any more school, should it be an SMP? I’m just concerned that with how intense SMPs are I might not have time to boost my ECs.

As for permanent residency, yes it’s become clear that I need to get that resolved ASAP before I apply

If @Goro can confirm:

Where your GPA stands right now, a well-done post-bacc will put your GPAs in the zone of DO schools. Only of course in combination with a good MCAT score, ~505 or above.

If your MCAT score is ~510, you can instead go for the SMP. If you get a 3.7+ in a SMP combined with that nice ass MCAT score, you will definitely be interviewed at MD schools given good rec letters and extracurriculars/clinical/non-clinical volunteering. Also need good writing skills for your personal statement and activity description.

The reason why we suggest for you to take the MCAT first is that if you get a 505, you're in good shape for DO schools given a stellar post-bacc performance. But even if you score a 3.7+ in a SMP, you're still unlikely to be interviewed at MD schools. Because a 505 is not 510, the MD matriculant average.

I suppose your situation also depends on what you want to shoot for, MD or DO.

Though there are MD schools with matriculant averages in the 505~510 zone. You could get interviewed at MD schools with MCAT 505 and SMP GPA 3.7+. It's possible.

It's not like your post-bacc is going to take any longer or shorter than a SMP. A SMP is just riskier because it's high-intensity, a DIY post-bacc is more relaxed. It's up to you what you want to do. The impact of high performance during SMP > impact of high performance during DIY post-bacc.

Last edited:
If @Goro can confirm:

Where your GPA stands right now, a well-done post-bacc will put your GPAs in the zone of DO schools. Only of course in combination with a good MCAT score, ~505 or above.

If your MCAT score is ~510, you can instead go for the SMP. If you get a 3.7+ in a SMP combined with that nice ass MCAT score, you will definitely be interviewed at MD schools given good rec letters and extracurriculars/clinical/non-clinical volunteering. Also need good writing skills for your personal statement and activity description.

The reason why we suggest for you to take the MCAT first is that if you get a 505, you're in good shape for DO schools given a stellar post-bacc performance. But even if you score a 3.7+ in a SMP, you're still unlikely to be interviewed at MD schools. Because a 505 is not 510, the MD matriculant average.

I suppose your situation also depends on what you want to shoot for, MD or DO.

Though there are MD schools with matriculant averages in the 505~510 zone. You could get interviewed at MD schools with MCAT 505 and SMP GPA 3.7+. It's possible.

It's not like your post-bacc is going to take any longer or shorter than a SMP. A SMP is just riskier because it's high-intensity, a DIY post-bacc is more relaxed. It's up to you what you want to do. The impact of high performance during SMP > impact of high performance during DIY post-bacc.
Thank you for the very detailed answer! You’ve been so helpful across both my threads. I’m just going to focus on the MCAT and ECs for now and make SMP/post bac decisions based on that.

I'm a current undergrad on pace to graduate this fall with a cGPA somewhere around 3.3 and a sGPA around 3.2. I haven't taken the MCAT yet I am planning to take it in February next year. I've made up my mind that applying to DO schools is the path for but I'm not sure if I'm ready to apply yet for a couple of reasons: 1) My GPA. 2) I don't have much clinical experience.

Would an SMP or post-bacc program significantly boost my academic profile? Would it be worth doing? If so which of the two would you recommend? Price isn't really so much a factor for me, I'm also concerned about the time investment.

I know it's hard to give advice without an MCAT score but any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I think that you're OK for applying with a broad application. Work on getting in the clinical exposure.

You're right - it's impossible to say without MCAT.

What are your practice scores?

I'm telling you from my experience. My MCAT was low and my gpa was pretty much like yours or little higher but I killed SMP and got accepted at same school because I didn't apply anywhere else. But I had over one year of scribe experience and my other EC's were great too.
I would suggest do not go SMP route unless you have too.
Prepare for MCAT for 3-4 months and kill it, and take it only when you are 100% ready. Take lots of practice tests for MCAT.
Take more science classes at community college to bring your sGPA and take upper division science classes to be prepared for med school.
Work on your EC at the same time.
Don't rush, take a gap year.

Reactions: 1 users