Do I need to do Step 3?? Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpolides

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im a PGY-5 from Canada doing a fellowship in an internal medicine subspecialty in Canada, and I would like to keep my doors open in case I ever need to work in the US in the future.

I have already done USMLE Step 1,2 CK and must complete Step 2 CS and 3 by mid-2013 before the time period expires.

I will be doing the ABIM for internal medicine in 2012.

My question: Is there any point of completing the USMLE if I become ABIM certified? Whether it is for another fellowship position or attending staff position?
Thanks!! Chris

Members don't see this ad.

I cannot speak for the ABIM but other boards require a medical license to be eligible to take the Board exams.

Therefore, if that is the case with ABIM (and it appears to be:

Licensure

ABIM diplomates and candidates for certification and Maintenance of Certification must possess a valid, unrestricted, and unchallenged medical license in the United States, its territories or Canada. Physicians practicing exclusively abroad and who do not hold a U.S. or Canadian license, must hold a license where they practice and provide documentation from the relevant licensing authority that their license is in good standing and without conditions or restrictions. A physician whose license has been restricted, suspended, revoked, or surrendered in any jurisdiction, cannot be certified, recertified or admitted to a certification examination and may be subject to suspension or revocation of certification or eligibility to participate in the certification process. Restrictions include but are not limited to conditions, contingencies, probation, and stipulated agreements.

and you do not hold a Canadian medical license, then you must take Step 3 to get a US license for the examination.

Frankly, if there is any possibility you might work in the US *ever* it would be easier to do Step 3 now rather than try to jump through the hoops when the 7 year deadline has passed, IMHO.

it's a very easy exam (and this is coming from a pathologist). just take it while you know you'll pass and have it behind you.

Hi, thanks for your input!
I currently hold a Canadian license, and am able to write the Internal Medicine boards in the US without a problem.

If I write the ABIM exam and therefore hold an Internal Medicine license in the US, will writing Step 2&3 (and having the pay the high fees) benefit me in any way?!
Thanks again!

yes, it'll benefit you by allowing you to practice more easily in the US, should you ever decide you wish to do so.

Hi, thanks for your input!
I currently hold a Canadian license, and am able to write the Internal Medicine boards in the US without a problem.

If I write the ABIM exam and therefore hold an Internal Medicine license in the US, will writing Step 2&3 (and having the pay the high fees) benefit me in any way?!
Thanks again!
Writing the ABIM exam does not give you a US medical license. It makes you ABIM certified.

Your question is whether being licensed in Canada / taking the Canadian licensing exams will allow you to work in the US in the future without the USMLE. The answer is "most likely". Most states accept the canadian licensing exams for grads of US/Canadian medical schools. Not all do, though. I found the following list online, I have no idea how up to date it is:

For U.S. and Canadian medical school graduates the LMCC is accepted with the following caveats:

1. Florida requires that the SPEX exam be taken in addition to being licensed in the U.S. or Canada for at least 10 years.
  2. Illinois accepts the LMCC if received after 4/1970, otherwise board certification, SPEX or USMLE 3 is required.
  3. Iowa requires the LMCC be endorsed by a provincial licensing board.
  4. Missouri requires graduation from a Canadian medical school.
  5. New Jersey requires that physicians be licensed in another U.S. state and be board certified.
  6. Pennsylvania accepts the LMCC if received after 5/1970. English version
  7. Puerto Rico accepts the LMCC if you hold another U.S. medical license.
  8. Washington accepts the LMCC if received after 1969.
  9. Wisconsin accepts the LMCC if received after 1/1/78.
  10. Kansas, Louisiana, Guam and Virgin Islands do not accept the LMCC.

Wow, this is really interesting. I just assumed that Canadians would have to take Step I/II/III to ever practice here in the U.S. What if I (US doc) wanted to do a fellowship or work in Canada at some point? I'm curious about whether Canada would accept my training.

Wow, this is really interesting. I just assumed that Canadians would have to take Step I/II/III to ever practice here in the U.S. What if I (US doc) wanted to do a fellowship or work in Canada at some point? I'm curious about whether Canada would accept my training.

I've started to investigate this and they [Canadians] don't make it much easier for us than we do for them. It varies from province to province and if you're board certified, BC and Ontario have programs that let you skip the equivalents of the USMLE's, but you have to practice under supervision for the first 18 months- 2 years and undergo some kind of exam at the end of that. However, unless you wish to take the Canadian equivalent of the board exams in Ontario, you can only get a restricted license (but it's different if you have an academic job). In BC, it sounds as though you have to go through the long Practice Equivalency Route (http://rcpsc.medical.org/residency/certification/per_e.php) and even after that, it sounds as though practice is somewhat limited.

Actually mental illness is far more prevalent than alcohol and drug abuse amongst the homeless. The majority of those that are addicts are self medicating horrifically debilitating psychological illnesses, often brought about by abuse or the plight of their situation.

People always have to take personal responsibility for their actions, but I fail to see how wanting to help everyone or being a do-gooder is actually a bad thing, in fact, it should be something we all aspire to. Sure in the end some people just dont want help, or throw the things that you do for them back in your face, but at least you tried, and if everyone at least tried, everything wouldnt be nearly as messed up imo. Unfortunately were a pretty selfish species.

The fact is that the majority of the problems that homeless people face are circumstance, not of their own doing. Sure, everyone deals with that differently and many could possibly pull themselves out of it if they had a different outlook, but sometimes life kicks you so hard and you dont have the knowledge to change your life that you need help from others.

You say trying to set things right for other people doesnt work in reality, but have you tried?

Actually mental illness is far more prevalent than alcohol and drug abuse amongst the homeless. The majority of those that are addicts are self medicating horrifically debilitating psychological illnesses, often brought about by abuse or the plight of their situation.

People always have to take personal responsibility for their actions, but I fail to see how wanting to help everyone or being a do-gooder is actually a bad thing, in fact, it should be something we all aspire to. Sure in the end some people just dont want help, or throw the things that you do for them back in your face, but at least you tried, and if everyone at least tried, everything wouldnt be nearly as messed up imo. Unfortunately were a pretty selfish species.

The fact is that the majority of the problems that homeless people face are circumstance, not of their own doing. Sure, everyone deals with that differently and many could possibly pull themselves out of it if they had a different outlook, but sometimes life kicks you so hard and you dont have the knowledge to change your life that you need help from others.

You say trying to set things right for other people doesnt work in reality, but have you tried?

What the hell are you talking about?

Trying to figure out whether this is a bad joke, was posted in the wrong thread, or the person was stoned out of their mind when they posted it. It's so out-of-context that I'm guessing it was posted in the wrong thread.