Do I need to take post bacc classes if I plan on taking two years off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NameGoesHere

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently graduated from undergrad and am planning to take two years and work in a laboratory. I am currently 22 and have already completed all of my pre req course work, and have done fairly well on them. However, I was not sure whether or not I would need to retake any of the coursework before I apply when I am 24? Any insight would be much appreciated and thank you!
 
No, why would you think you'd need to retake them? You're in the nontrad forum, you're pretty traditional relative to most people here haha.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You take a post bacc for 2 reasons:
  1. Take prereqs for the first time
  2. Improve grades
or both in some cases

It sounds like you need neither. Don't do a post bacc.
 
I agree with others that you do not need a post-bac.

For non-trads who have been out of school for several years, it's beneficial to have some recent coursework (upper division classes if need be) to demonstrate that they can still handle the academic rigor of medical school; however, the OP is definitely not in this situation. Taking one to two years off after college is becoming the norm rather than the exception.