Do I need to take the USMLE Step 2 CK for an AOA residency program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peachesNcream7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am 3rd year, and I got a 589 on my COMLEX and a 245 on my USMLE Step 1. I am applying to AOA Orthopedic programs, and was wondering if I need to take USMLE Step 2 CK? I only ask, because an AOA program told me I would be considered lazy if I took USMLE Step 1 and did not take USMLE Step 2 CK. Let me know if you have heard anything like this before, because I rather not pay an extra $880 dollars and take another 8 hour test.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I am 3rd year, and I got a 589 on my COMLEX and a 245 on my USMLE Step 1. I am applying to AOA Orthopedic programs, and was wondering if I need to take USMLE Step 2 CK? I only ask, because an AOA program told me I would be considered lazy if I took USMLE Step 1 and did not take USMLE Step 2 CK. Let me know if you have heard anything like this before, because I rather not pay an extra $880 dollars and take another 8 hour test.
If a program you are considering told you that then it seems pretty obvious that you should do it...

Reactions: 1 user
I understand that, but then I would be taking the USMLE Step 2 for one program. My question really is has anyone else heard any program saying the same thing? Just trying to figure out if this the exception or the rule.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, this is very likely an exception, unless things are changing with the transition to ACGME. In my experience, AOA programs generally don't care if you've taken USMLE or not, I was only asked once or twice on rotations about my USMLE scores but it never came up during interviews in contrast to my COMLEX scores which were commented on at every interview. Unless you are applying to ACGME ortho programs (wouldn't recommend it), it is highly unlikely that taking USMLE Step 2 CK will make any difference for your applications.

If a program you are considering told you that then it seems pretty obvious that you should do it...

I think this logic tends to apply more to ACGME programs, but there's not all that many AOA ortho programs so if you're really interested in the one giving you this advice, I agree it's in your best interest to do it.

Probably because they are transitioning to ACGME. Have you checked this:

https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/Reports/Report/18

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

At our residency, we did not even look at USMLE unless the COMLEX score was lacking. While your COMLEX score is not horrible, it's middle of the pack and definitely not as good as your USMLE. I wouldn't recommend that all medical applying these next few years take Step 2 (It will be a couple of seasons yet before the comlex is usurped) but in your case, it may be worthwhile to have that backup score.

What happened on comlex 1? You need to beast level 2 man.

And just beast step 2 as well. Ortho is as competitive as ever.