Do I qualify as a NonTrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmp0410

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new here, and want to see which forum I should spend my time in! I consider myself a bit of a non-Trad, but by the standards here I'm not sure if I fit.

Graduated Undergrad in 2010 with a 3.3 total and science
Took the MCAT in 2009 with a 9/9/9 27 (don't remember my writing score)
Shadowing Experience
18 months of Hospice Volunteering
Other various non-hospital volunteering (food bank, mentally handicapped)

I lost a lot of motivation towards the end of Undergrad and let my grades slip a lot, I took 2 years off working full time with mixed feelings about what I wanted to do. Worked as a personal trainer which really re-ignited my passion to go to medical school. I know its a bit of a tool job, but I really enjoyed the helping people part of it. It was the money part of it that I hated.

I started a Master's Program in Fall 12, in Medical Science. Not sure what category this type of program fits in too, not a SMP but the classes would seem to be similar. First semester's classes were Basical Medical Anatomy, Biochemistry and Histology.

Made a 3.8 first semester, and am doing well to start this semester so my Grad School grades should be very good. Retaking the MCAT in May (should do much better, I choked when I previously took it and was scoring much higher). Applying this year

I haven't done much EC stuff since my undergrad time as working full-time is a bit of a time drain.

Just wanted to say hello, and see if I qualify with some of the awesome non-Trad stories on here. I get the feeling I might be more in line with a traditional student though.

Members don't see this ad.

You are qualified as a non-traditional, if you want to be. :)

well it seems like the grad school route is becoming more and more common, so compared to the JD to MD's, military students, etc I feel pretty traditional.

Members don't see this ad :)
well it seems like the grad school route is becoming more and more common, so compared to the JD to MD's, military students, etc I feel pretty traditional.

Lol, you are too mature to be traditional. :). Let the barely 21 year olds keep that title.

True, I'll be 26 when I hopefully start Med School. Maybe everyone will call me gramps.

True, I'll be 26 when I hopefully start Med School. Maybe everyone will call me gramps.

Lol, no gramps is reserved for the +45 group. You're just an uncle.

Nontrads are the majority. The average age of a first year med student is 24. That's 2-3 years post-undergrad.

We need better words.

Nontrads are the majority. The average age of a first year med student is 24. That's 2-3 years post-undergrad.

We need better words.

"Real world adjusted"

We need better words.

I always liked "bent arrow" - that's an arrow that "doesn't take a straight path" to medical school. It's a Case Western Term from an old Dean in the 1960s I believe. It is inclusive of older people and younger people (for example teen parents who we've discussed who don't meet the age definition, but are proud members of our community) who still are not "traditional" or maybe come from a non-science background, or adverse conditions.

"Real world adjusted"
Like.
I always liked "bent arrow" - that's an arrow that "doesn't take a straight path" to medical school. It's a Case Western Term from an old Dean in the 1960s I believe. It is inclusive of older people and younger people (for example teen parents who we've discussed who don't meet the age definition, but are proud members of our community) who still are not "traditional" or maybe come from a non-science background, or adverse conditions.
Like.

A gauge of nontrad-ism could be the last year your parents paid your rent.

Yes. A nontrad badge! Like this:[edit]

nontradbadge.png

Last edited: