Do I really want to be a doctor? What else is there? early-life-crises!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walala

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here I am, posting at 4 am, because I've spent the last 4 hours pensively deciding if medical school is right for me. I am very introverted, speaking to professors gives me nervous jitters, and I don't know if I'm the right type of person to be making life and death decisions. Don't get me wrong, I am very confident in myself and if I did become a doctor and were placed in these situations, I know I am the type of person to be able to do it. But the question is, will I be happy doing it?

I'm sure practically everyone on this forum wants to/is in/went to medical school for whatever reason. What made you decide medicine was right for you? And why a doctor? Why not a PA or nurse? Was it the money?

From my deliberations in the past few hours, I've realized that that real reason I've been set on getting into medical school is my parent's wish. They really, really, really want me to go and it's become somewhat instilled in me. But I do not want to go. I really don't know what career path I want to follow and I need to decide quickly as I am suppose to apply to whatever program I choose next May. At 20 years of age, I feel like I am not equipped to make such life changing decisions. But alas, I know I am. I just need to decide.

So here comes the big question: What else is there for me to do as a biology major? I'm sure there are so many careers out there where you can still make just as much money that I don't know about. I would prefer to be in the six figures if at all possible of course. No, I don't want to be a teacher. I thought it would be nice to be a college professor, and its something I can definitely see myself doing, but alas that requires a PhD, might as well be an MD doc in that case. If I go PA, its two-three years only, but as I will be practically doing the same thing as an MD, I would still rather go MD. But what else is there, non-medicine and medically related where you make six figures as a biology major? Anything?

I'll leave this up here. Sorry for the length, but once I wake up in the morning, hopefully one of you will have enlightened me and helped me decide my future or at least pointed me in the right direction :)

P.S. I really have a strong desire to travel the world doing whatever job it is I do. Which is why medicine somewhat attracts me, I can travel anywhere and help save the world. (Planned to open my own free clinic from the third world country I'm from). Anything I can do that can keep this dream alive that doesn't require medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Just my 2 cents.

No matter what, make sure you do what YOU want to do. Have you shadowed enough to realize what the job is all about? And if you are introverted, being a nurse/PA will have just as much, if not more, patient interaction. One thing that happened to me was that I became more extroverted and comfortable speaking to my superiors after I graduated and was out of the college environment. I also put a lot of things into perspective and gave myself opportunities to explore different careers (MD, PhD, a masters in genetic counseling, etc.) during my gap years. My gap years were the best things I could have done for myself, and if you are undecided, you do not need to apply this May. If you want to take time, then take time! Also - a bachelors in Biology is pretty useless... That's what I have, and I am working in a stem cell research lab now, but there is no way to make more money if you don't have another degree (and my job description is actually for someone with a masters degree).

Also, travel if you want to, but although you want to always remember the big picture, make sure you work on smaller goals. You can still travel without having to do it for your job. Ultimately no one can make your decision for you.

If you need more time, take the time and realize exactly what YOU want. Don't rush it.

There are certainly other careers out there. I'm in my gap year and working in private industry for ~40k/year. I certainly got lucky during my job search and landed a job with amazing benefits and a really fun company to work for. We do clinical trials, and I get to travel all over the U.S. to different trial sites.

Some of my co-workers are clinical chemists, and were hired with only a bachelor's degree. I'm pretty sure after working 7+ years with this company, some of them are making six figures.

It's a long hard road to making good money with only a four year degree, but it's certainly possible in the biotech industry. It's just going to be up to you to make the most of your experiences and work your way up the ladder.

Members don't see this ad :)
So here I am, posting at 4 am, because I've spent the last 4 hours pensively deciding if medical school is right for me. I am very introverted, speaking to professors gives me nervous jitters, and I don't know if I'm the right type of person to be making life and death decisions. Don't get me wrong, I am very confident in myself and if I did become a doctor and were placed in these situations, I know I am the type of person to be able to do it. But the question is, will I be happy doing it?

I'm sure practically everyone on this forum wants to/is in/went to medical school for whatever reason. What made you decide medicine was right for you? And why a doctor? Why not a PA or nurse? Was it the money?

From my deliberations in the past few hours, I've realized that that real reason I've been set on getting into medical school is my parent's wish. They really, really, really want me to go and it's become somewhat instilled in me. But I do not want to go. I really don't know what career path I want to follow and I need to decide quickly as I am suppose to apply to whatever program I choose next May. At 20 years of age, I feel like I am not equipped to make such life changing decisions. But alas, I know I am. I just need to decide.

So here comes the big question: What else is there for me to do as a biology major? I'm sure there are so many careers out there where you can still make just as much money that I don't know about. I would prefer to be in the six figures if at all possible of course. No, I don't want to be a teacher. I thought it would be nice to be a college professor, and its something I can definitely see myself doing, but alas that requires a PhD, might as well be an MD doc in that case. If I go PA, its two-three years only, but as I will be practically doing the same thing as an MD, I would still rather go MD. But what else is there, non-medicine and medically related where you make six figures as a biology major? Anything?

I'll leave this up here. Sorry for the length, but once I wake up in the morning, hopefully one of you will have enlightened me and helped me decide my future or at least pointed me in the right direction :)

P.S. I really have a strong desire to travel the world doing whatever job it is I do. Which is why medicine somewhat attracts me, I can travel anywhere and help save the world. (Planned to open my own free clinic from the third world country I'm from). Anything I can do that can keep this dream alive that doesn't require medical school?
Just about the only thing you can do with a Bio major to have a great chance at earning 6 figures is to get an advanced degree, whether it is MD, PhD, etc. You are NOT going to find anything that pays that well unless you are extremely lucky or extremely well-connected, with just a BS in bio. Lots of bio-degree holders are finding it hard to find a job in their fields at all, let alone a 6-figure job, depending on where they live. The question comes down to, what do you want to do? If money is your biggest motivation, you would probably be miserable pursuing an MD, but that could probably be said about pretty much any job. Try to find something you actually enjoy to do. Once you do, you might be OK with NOT making 6 figures if your job is something you are actually excited to be doing. If money is that important to you, yeah, you will pretty much have to do something that requires a lot of work and sacrifice to get there....most people don't just graduate from college and have a 6-figure job fall into their laps....they need to work for their success.

My input is that you should realize how much of a commitment becoming a physician is. Like any other career, it will take many years before you make the mythical salary that society has come to expect of physicians. We have student loans, malpractice insurance, tuition, etc. that will literally take almost a decade (or more) to pay off.

You won't go far in this field if you're doing it soley for the money, because in all honesty that's what business schools are for.

Last edited:
You should definitely take a gap year, work, do some teaching/service/volunteering, do fun things. Having been in college for 3 years you've been living in a pretty sheltered bubble of academia.

Medicine is an enormous commitment and considering many physicians make 100-200k it isn't something to do just for the money. Obviously subspecialties pay more, but they are also more demanding and competitive.

I have a friend (she's 27ish) who did bio major (or biochem) then got her masters (also in biochem/biotech) in 2 years. Then she got a job at a company that makes and sells enzymes or other biochem goo. Her job is not even a lab job. She travels to clients and teaches them how to use the company's goo to run special assays and stuff. Working with clients/scientists/lab people/ docs. Lots of travel + flexible schedule (compared to MD which is least flexible job ever). Pay is less than attending physician but I assume in the 100k range +/- a bit.

So this friend has a i) great job, ii) balanced lifestyle, and iii) great salary. Sure, an attending might make more, but thats probably when you're 30+. Also, you'll have insurance, med school loans to pay back, longer hours, much less flexibility (for the most part), and higher stress.​

You should definitely take a gap year, work, do some teaching/service/volunteering, do fun things. Having been in college for 3 years you've been living in a pretty sheltered bubble of academia.

Medicine is an enormous commitment and considering many physicians make 100-200k it isn't something to do just for the money. Obviously subspecialties pay more, but they are also more demanding and competitive.

I have a friend (she's 27ish) who did bio major (or biochem) then got her masters (also in biochem/biotech) in 2 years. Then she got a job at a company that makes and sells enzymes or other biochem goo. Her job is not even a lab job. She travels to clients and teaches them how to use the company's goo to run special assays and stuff. Working with clients/scientists/lab people/ docs. Lots of travel + flexible schedule (compared to MD which is least flexible job ever). Pay is less than attending physician but I assume in the 100k range +/- a bit.

So this friend has a i) great job, ii) balanced lifestyle, and iii) great salary. Sure, an attending might make more, but thats probably when you're 30+. Also, you'll have insurance, med school loans to pay back, longer hours, much less flexibility (for the most part), and higher stress.​

Yep, biotech is where you want to be.

OP, you need more than a few hours of introspection to figure out your plan. If you've shadowed and you've done your time as a pre-med and already know you don't have a passion for it, then find something else.

You admitted that your parents have pushed you into this route and you might as well get out while you can. Don't go through the hard work of applications, and maybe even starting medical school before you truly admit to yourself that this is not where your heart is.

^ I met an doctor this summer who was in industry and not doing academia or seeing patients. I wanted to ask him why he was in industry as opposed to being in a hospital, but I didn't get the chance to ask. I wonder how often doctors end up in industry.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like you'd regret going to medical school for a very long time if you decided to jump on board at this juncture. Take a year off. You're very young and have no idea about what you want right now.

Something to look into for you is Dentistry. Same pre-reqs as medicine, so your major works for Dental school. You'd make $200k+ for 40 hour work weeks...weekends off and travel anywhere you like. Seriously incredible for lifestyle. I've had some great dentists and not all of them are extroverts, so it's possible.

Don't go. Your parents will just have to get over it.

On a side note, I was very introverted/immature in college, too. I decided to take a gap year (ended up taking 3 :laugh:) and found that I grew up so much more during that first year than I did during much of college. You may change your mind.

Tell your parents this:

University of Michigan (a top ten medical school) has disclosed that over 70% of their matriculating students have taken at least one year off after college. Mom, dad, I want to try and get into the best school that I can and I really think that taking a little time off will make me a better applicant. I will get a chance to have a stronger record, I will be considered more mature, and I will not be crippled by interviews during the school year so I can maintain a great GPA (and apply with a better one). I also heard that reapplicants have a hard time getting in, so if I want a shot at the top programs I need to do with the best application I can.

Once you are taking a year off, parents are usually much calmer about taking multiple years off :D I stopped speaking to my mom for about 4 months because she was so angry that I had made the decision to go to medical school but decided to still "waste my time" with research for a year :rolleyes:. I didn't even tell her that I was planning on taking more years off than just one :laugh:. Anyhow, the situation was much better when I extended my time off rather than decided to take it to begin with. I think that at this point I'm just about ready to tell my mom, I told you so ;).

Then once they are off your back, go out and live in the world for a little bit. I was much more excited to apply to medical school once I had been out and working for a while.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you thought about engineering? You only really need a bachelor's to get out there and practice, and you can find a job that lets you travel. I always think chemical engineering is a good backup since we have to have so many chemistry classes anyway to apply to med school. If you want to make a lot of money, you could work a few years and go for your PhD to work on the really cool stuff. It takes many, many years for doctors to really make 6 figures. Just think of 4 years med school, then 3-9 years residency. If you're "making" 200k, you're not really because a huge chunk is coming out in taxes and loans. Just something to think about.
Also, it's not impossible, but it's financially and logistically very difficult to achieve a dream of running a free clinic in a foreign country. Seek out people that might know more about that before using that dream to justify medical school. I also know of civil engineers that volunteer over seas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you thought about engineering? You only really need a bachelor's to get out there and practice, and you can find a job that lets you travel. I always think chemical engineering is a good backup since we have to have so many chemistry classes anyway to apply to med school. If you want to make a lot of money, you could work a few years and go for your PhD to work on the really cool stuff. It takes many, many years for doctors to really make 6 figures. Just think of 4 years med school, then 3-9 years residency. If you're "making" 200k, you're not really because a huge chunk is coming out in taxes and loans. Just something to think about.

I was actually going to suggest something similar. Are you studying biology because you tried out different intro classes and like bio the most, or because you were thinking about medical school prerequisites? If the latter, you could potentially discover that you are really interested into other job-secure fields, such as engineering or informatics.

It sounds like, in your decision-thinking, you're looking at alternatives and thinking "might as well" MD, which is probably a mindset that will lead you to not being very happy as a physician (if you can even generate enough enthusiasm to spit out a personal statement for "why do you want to be a doctor").

Then once they are off your back, go out and live in the world for a little bit. I was much more excited to apply to medical school once I had been out and working for a while.

I graduated this past June and have been volunteering/applying for jobs and it really helps you realize what you actually want. I agree, it definitely gets you more excited when you've sat around considering your options and find that you can't really see yourself being happy with anything else ( I know you probably wrote that on your secondaries, but it's actually true).

Not to mention you get a bit more than 2 months to relax and gather yourself instead of having to worry about all the things that go along with preparing for med school (housing, loans, etc.) right before starting.

You sound like me my junior-senior year. Every single word and consideration was more or less what I was weighing, and you're just going to be stuck weighing it out forever. Because you can't possibly have any certainty as a college student.

SO. If you feel like you don't have ENOUGH certainty, consider taking a year or two to do something (anything!) that actually interests you before you lock into medical school. You probably feel like you're in some big race to get to some nebulous finish line, but once you enter the professional world you realize how flawed that worldview truly is. You owe it to yourself to explore something else that interests you. Do something non-medical for a year or two. Live on your own, see what it feels like to have an actual livable income, stress hard about real professional responsibilities, and have it take over your life - cuz that's where all the real insights about yourself are. You'll come out more certain for sure - even if you take up something like teaching, paralegal work, research, WHATEVER.

Get a research masters, learn a skill, and aim for lab tech or lab manager/staff scientist in biotech or pharma.
Good techs are hard to come by (for some reason, they all want to get PhD or MD/DO degrees). And they don't have to worry about the tenure/grant/publication rat race.

So here comes the big question: What else is there for me to do as a biology major?

You want to make that mugh money, you're going to have to EARN it.

I'm sure there are so many careers out there where you can still make just as much money that I don't know about. I would prefer to be in the six figures if at all possible of course.

Venture capitalism. Patent law. Malpractice law. Hospital administration. Marry well. Your greed is a bit off-putting.

But what else is there, non-medicine and medically related where you make six figures as a biology major? Anything?

Reactions: 1 users
Consider that leaving college and going directly to medical school it would still be at least 7 years before you command a six figure salary and only after acquiring (in most cases) a six figure debt.

So, what other careers could get you to that earning potential within 7 years?
If you like math, consider statistical analyst, biostatistician, or actuary.
Consider a MS degree and a career in biotech (nano everything seems to be hot these days as well as anything related to genetics/personalized medicine) or bioinformatics.
Those are the ideas that come to mind for someone who isn't keen on spending all day long interacting with others.

You have to figure this out yourself. I would take a couple of years off to discover what it is that you want to do. You obviously don't have a clue. If you don't want to be miserable don't do things because others tell you or because it's what other people are doing. Do something because you definitely want to. GL.

Is there a reason why you want six figures?

Remember, the VAST MAJORITY of Americans won't come close to sniffing a yearly six figure salary. It's never something someone wants just by wishing or hoping. It may seem common on a forum with health care prospects, but in reality, a small percentage of people will make that amount. It's the exception not the norm. Remember, you can make a great living NOT making 6 figures, living a happy life with what you want out of it.

You don't need to be a PhD to have a great career with a bio degree. With the right connections, not even a Master's degree. It depends what field of biology you like, what you see yourself doing, etc. Also, you don't necessarily have to find a job in your major. With diligent resume sending and countless hours of pounding the job market, you can find success. It's similar to countless hours of busting your butt with med school apps.

You could try working for the feds with that biology degree. I know a few agencies recruit biology majors. You could probably crack 6 figures eventually.

If you're introverted, consulting is probably off the table but that actually sounds like what you want to do. They travel a ton, can have a science-related portfolio, and can make a lot of money. Take a Dale Carnegie class and apply to McKinsey?

Or this:

https://www.cia.gov/offices-of-cia/science-technology

McKinsey and the CIA are probably two of the most competitive organizations in the world. OP would need some serious pedigree for those to be legit options.

No, I don't want to be a teacher. I thought it would be nice to be a college professor, and its something I can definitely see myself doing, but alas that requires a PhD, might as well be an MD doc in that case. If I go PA, its two-three years only, but as I will be practically doing the same thing as an MD, I would still rather go MD.

You don't want to be a teacher, but you are considering becoming a college professor? Also, one does not just become a college professor. It takes insane amounts of dedication and work with minimal pay, all without the guarantee of ever becoming a full tenured professor. In today's academic environment, I think it's harder to become a tenured professor than a medical doctor.

PAs don't "practically do the same thing as MDs." PAs have lucrative and rewarding careers, but the people who become PAs and the people who become MDs are different types of people. You should decide what type you are.

1) Its tough to break six figures. The average starting salary for a college graduate this year is around 45K and the average lifetime earnings for a college graduate over a 35 year career is 68K/year in today's dollars (source: http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/acsbr11-04.pdf). That's why your parents are pushing you towards this career, that's why mother's wanting their daughter to marry a doctor is a common cultural meme. Professions with an effective salary floor of 160K are becoming vanishingly rare. My college friends were mostly engineers, the highest paid majors, and only a handful of them are over 100K five years out. Bio is also traditionally a pretty poorly compensated major for those who don't go on to professional school.

2) You're 20. You are NOT at a decision point at your life, or locked into a biology major. I think the best advice, if you're unsure of your future career, is always to get some work experience. Intern/Co-Op, maybe even consider switching to an engineering major and explore more Internships in more lucrative careers. If you like industry, great, you have a career. If you hate it, try office work. If you hate that, shadow a nurse/physical therapist/dentist. If you're 20 you have more than enough time to do three separate Internships in three separate fields. See if you can find something that fits, and worst case you'll spend a semester getting a paycheck. Similarly, look around medicine more. Shadow in the ED. Then in the OR. Then in a primary care clinic. Maybe there is something that will attract you.

3) On the PA thing: the PA degree (ditto NP) was designed for experienced medical professionals who wanted to incrementally increase their responsibility. A PA wasn't supposed to be someone with just two years of postgraduate education doing almost the same thing as a doctor with seven years of postgrad training, he was supposed to be someone with two years of post graduate AND at least a decade of practical experience as an Paramedic/Army Medic/Navy Corpsman doing something a lot like a doctor. I know there are some shady programs out there that allowing people to get PA and NP degrees with no real experience. You don't want to be that guy. No one likes to soapbox this is a life and death profession and you don't want to kill someone because you didn't know what you were doing.

4) Don't subject yourself to the great PhD scam. A PhD is not the next best option after medical school, and the vast majority of people who matriculate into PhD programs do not go on to become faculty. Ditto any non-top 14 law or business program and any chiropractic/naturopathic/alternative medicine program. If you are going to invest years of your life in school make sure that at least 80% of the school's matriculants are getting the jobs they went to school for.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
^#4 above is excellent advice.

People have mostly addressed your career path already but in regards to your introversion-- that also may change as time goes on. Up until high school I was really shy, didn't like to talk in front of large groups, got nervous when I thought about raising my hand in class, etc. but getting involved in a lot of student groups and leadership positions got me so much more comfortable with all the above (to the point where on three separate occasions, three different close friends of mine actually expressed surprise when I said I was introverted and tried to tell me I wasn't...). Side note: no one out there should let introversion keep them from pursuing medicine! But it sounds like you might not want to do it for other reasons, so my advice is to take some time and think about what you really LIKE doing (not in terms of a career, but in terms of responsibilities and tasks). It might be as random as micropipetting or copy editing or taking walks in the forest. Starting with those might give you a better sense of what to pursue: e.g. clinical lab tech for tissue typing, scientific journal editor, park ranger..

How the hell does medicine allow that? Where would you be traveling the first four years of med school? The library, the toilet, and your bed? And residency would just allow you to pick up your bags and move around the world? If you want some solid advice on alternative careers, you should check out my thread. Im not good enough for med school, or any job really, so people suggested I become a dishwasher. There's a job where you could travel see and clean the world all at the same time.

Have you considered becoming a commercial airline pilot?

Radiology, pathology, anesthesiology, surgery etc.
You're gonna make it

I just wanted to say thank you for all of your amazing, eye opening advice!

I think I'm going to give MD a shot and go for it :)

It's what I've always wanted to do, I was just hesitant because it sorta kinda scared me with all the pressure. Haha.

Thank you!

From my deliberations in the past few hours, I've realized that that real reason I've been set on getting into medical school is my parent's wish. They really, really, really want me to go and it's become somewhat instilled in me. But I do not want to go.

I just wanted to say thank you for all of your amazing, eye opening advice!

I think I'm going to give MD a shot and go for it :)

It's what I've always wanted to do,
I was just hesitant because it sorta kinda scared me with all the pressure. Haha.

Thank you!

0y.gif

In any case, best of luck to you. Hopefully you're making the right decision for yourself.

From my deliberations in the past few hours, I've realized that that real reason I've been set on getting into medical school is my parent's wish. They really, really, really want me to go and it's become somewhat instilled in me.

So here comes the big question: What else is there for me to do as a biology major? I'm sure there are so many careers out there where you can still make just as much money that I don't know about. I would prefer to be in the six figures if at all possible of course. No, I don't want to be a teacher. I thought it would be nice to be a college professor, and its something I can definitely see myself doing, but alas that requires a PhD, might as well be an MD doc in that case.
?

Friend, I want to start out by saying I don't want to knock you. However, seeing this post, I'm getting the feeling that you're the type of person that likes prestige, and there is nothing wrong with that. But prestige ≠ happiness. I'm an education major, so I'd just like to discuss the Professor. vs Teacher, because that's an argument educators have over and over again. What is the difference between a College Professor and a High School Teacher? Both should be educators who want to help students learn and who strive to develop meaningful mentorships with the kids.

The main difference between these two roles is drawn in by society. Society views the Professor as a learned member of society, and the teacher as a low-income government employee. And this is largely based off the fact that teachers, in many cases, don't have to pursue higher education after their bachelors (though many, many do).

I take issue with you saying you don't want to be a teacher, but you do want to be a professor. You're making the same mistake. You're letting society make your decisions for you. Follow your heart. Where will YOU be comfortable. What career will be the one where you walk in everyday and be HAPPY to be there. I can certainly tell you with 99.99% assurance that it will not be one that you pursue for the sole reason of how prestigious other people view you as. Best of luck.

Building off of some stuff I read, I met a pathologist who was THE MOST socially awkward person I have EVER met. All they do is look under a microscope all day. Also, Dentistry is a smart option if you want a 9-5 job, what to be able to travel the world, and make a really good paycheck. Bright side is, you don't HAVE to talk to your patients I mean your hands are in their mouths so it's not like they can respond anyways.

Highly recommend taking a gap year to sort out your options. Pharmacy is another good one and you don't have to work at a counter pushing drugs, many do desk work and audits and still get paid the same amount.

I think if money is the deciding factor in your career decision you aren't going to be happy anyways. Just reading your post convinces that MD is not for you and that you need to do something that will make you happy and don't worry about being loaded. You can make in the higher 5 figures and be well off and happy. You should look into some type of field work that involves a biology degree or maybe a PhD in biology. epidemiology is something to look at. Traveling the world to study outbreaks.

They really, really, really want me to go and it's become somewhat instilled in me. But I do not want to go.
Don't get into medicine unless it's YOUR passion. And don't choose a life career unless it's your Passion, no other motivation will count! If it's something you do well, you tend to make more money.

Very few who just graduate from college with a BA or BS, regardless of the major, make tons and tons of money. Just because a particular field has a 'reputation' of high income earners doesn't mean you'll be one of them.

Friend, I want to start out by saying I don't want to knock you. However, seeing this post, I'm getting the feeling that you're the type of person that likes prestige, and there is nothing wrong with that. But prestige ≠ happiness. I'm an education major, so I'd just like to discuss the Professor. vs Teacher, because that's an argument educators have over and over again. What is the difference between a College Professor and a High School Teacher? Both should be educators who want to help students learn and who strive to develop meaningful mentorships with the kids.

The main difference between these two roles is drawn in by society. Society views the Professor as a learned member of society, and the teacher as a low-income government employee. And this is largely based off the fact that teachers, in many cases, don't have to pursue higher education after their bachelors (though many, many do).

I take issue with you saying you don't want to be a teacher, but you do want to be a professor. You're making the same mistake. You're letting society make your decisions for you. Follow your heart. Where will YOU be comfortable. What career will be the one where you walk in everyday and be HAPPY to be there. I can certainly tell you with 99.99% assurance that it will not be one that you pursue for the sole reason of how prestigious other people view you as. Best of luck.[/quo

I take issue with you saying you don't want to be a teacher, but you do want to be a professor. You're making the same mistake. You're letting society make your decisions for you. Follow your heart. Where will YOU be comfortable. What career will be the one where you walk in everyday and be HAPPY to be there. I can certainly tell you with 99.99% assurance that it will not be one that you pursue for the sole reason of how prestigious other people view you as. Best of luck.

What I mean by I don't to be a teacher, but professor would be an option is the age group. Teachers, even high school teachers, have to deal with ridiculous amounts of immaturity. As a professor, most students have grown out of this phase and I would prefer working with this age grou as I can actually teach then. Again, what I mean by this is again maturity. High school kids generall care about learning, there are of course always the exceptions, but for the most part they care about the social aspects of school. College students are there by choice and are likely to learn and retain this knowledge. It has nothing to do with prestige.

I apologize for the typos and misspellings. Using a phone fortyping all that is a lot of effort. Haha.